Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 31-03-2018 01:53 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Saverio571wrote:
Sony solved this day with a new firmware

Good spot mate, yep new firmware released last week. Shows Samsung in an even poorer light 

cheers

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I really think it's an issue with the Tizen software and looks like it can not be software updated. Why else has Samsung not given any time frame or any information?

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123wrote:

I suspect the answer to that is already in the thread mate, although I agree it would be nice for Samsung to say as such.

4k SDR/4k HLG it doesnt matter in a sense the delivery method is the same regardless, my feeling is it that the issues are OS based.

Yes, more than just a feeling, it is what we have been able to glean over the last 4 months: The BBC decided to use DVB-DASH for all their next-generation hi-res streaming (which includes hdr and sdr, etc. Not just hdr). DVB-DASH in turn requires the use of the EME (Encrypted Media Extensions) the version of which, in their Tizen 2.4, is not new enough. References for this are here and here. It seems that EME is "baked in" to Tizen at a very low level, so this means it cannot be updated without updating the whole OS. This task is much bigger than, and not the same as, an in-the-field firmware upgrade (of which we have had many). Samsung would have to embark on a complete OS upgrade on an old model of TV, something that hasn't been attempted before to my knowledge.

NB: I am not excusing their terrible customer service, behaviour and attitude. The above is just the technical information we've been able to glean.

ps I suspect from your name, me following the link, and just putting two and two together, you already knew that! :smiling-face:

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
From Sony site for new sw.

"Introduces support for BBC iPlayer HLG HDR format (UK only)"

I hope also Samsung will upgrade 2016 models.
Saverio Casadidio
JTE
Navigator
Options

Even if that is the case this does not excuse a failure to provide an updated evolution kit with a new OS installed for the JS series. After all they sleet sold on the basis that they could be updated with a new one Connect box.

JTE
Navigator
Options

Even if that is the case this does not excuse a failure to provide an updated evolution kit with a new OS installed for the JS series. After all they were sold on the basis that they could be updated with a new one Connect box.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

Not gonna happen, Samsung want people to buy 2017 or later sets, 2016 owners should not hope for any meaningful update

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hdmiwrote:

@Saverio571wrote:

Not gonna happen, Samsung want people to buy 2017 or later sets, 2016 owners should not hope for any meaningful update

There is no other reason why Samsung have not done what some say should be a simple software update,  and why nothing here from Samsung. 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111wrote:

There is no other reason why Samsung have not done what some say should be a simple software update,  and why nothing here from Samsung. 

No posible reason other than the possible reasons I posted yesterday up there, ^^^ , no. :smileyindifferent: Just a brief technical summary of what we ***ALL*** have been able to glean from the past 4 months and 266 pages of discussion. To claim there is "no other reason" seems on the face of it to be rather disengenious to the past 4 months and 266 pages of discussion :(.

My NB from yesterday's post applies to this post too.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle I appreciate your comment yesterday spelling out why my js8000 will not get the iplayer, I really do, but I still want to hear this from the company itself, not because I don't believe you or any of the other posters, just because I believe it's their duty to explain themselves as to the shortcomings of what was a very expensive (flagship, future proof) bit of kit at the time. At the very least a little bit of "mea culpa" wouldn't go amiss.