Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 16-03-2018 07:50 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@mrticklewrote:

@IMPORTANT: like before, I still believe that John Archer is correct, and I'm still just as angry at Samsung's broken promse. But please, please, do not say that things on his website are the "official" word of Samsung: they are not, as @Ant has explained.

Wowwww, you lot! Shoot the messenger, why don't you?

I've asked John about the questions over his credibility on twitter. See what he says.

I did not mean to do that and I'm sorry if you took it that way. I did make a point of thanking you up front to avoid that. The criticism of his article isn't a criticism of your posting the link.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111wrote:

Thanks @BAMozzy for that and I now understand much better and hopfully Samsung will have an update.

Great! :smiling-face: :smiling-face:

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@hdmiwrote:

Just out of curiosity what BBC is using for HD/SDR content, if not DVB-DASH

A variety of things across various platforms including the radio player. I've cribbed some info. You may see terms such as:

• HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) Developed by Apple, widely used. HLS usually makes use of MPEG -2 transport stream technology which carries a separate licensing cost which deters some manufacturers from implementing it in their devices.  It is a simple protocol that is quite easy to implement.
  • HDS (HTTP Dynamic Streaming) Developed by Adobe for Flash. The BBC uses (used?) this protocol for its desktop browser presentations using the BBC Standard Media Player (SMP) which implements (implemented?) the Flash playback client. Not sure if they still use this.
  • MPEG-DASH, the most likely one. This is what the new DVB-DASH will replace. It stands for Motion Pictures Expert Group - Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP (Hyper-text transfer protocol). This was a new (in 2013) completely open source protocol.  It had the simplicity of HLS whilst being free of additional licensing other than that required by the codecs.

Lots of things use DASH, even if they are using it to stream formats other than MPEG. Here's a YouTube page about it: https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/live/guides/encoding-with-dash  . (Supports MP4 containing H264 and AAC as well as WebM containing VP8/VP9 and Vorbis/Opus. So, to get our fantastic HDR [either HDR10 or HLG, of course] content on YouTube it's actually sending us WebM-DASH containing a VP9.2 stream which is HDR-enabled!)

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@paul1111wrote:

Sorry you mentioned a way around it was to buy an evolution kit but I just had a look and its no longer available.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tv-accessories/evolution-kit-sek-1000/

I was, as others stated, referring to a 'hypothetical' Evolution Kit or even an updated OCB replacement. This would basically offer the updated Tizen which would then enable the latest iPlayer App. That was the way Samsung handled things like this before they decided to drop the Evolution Kits altogether by 2016. The issue is that these only enabled the Software update - the latest version of Tizen and the update to the HDMI ports which on 2014 TV's were only 2.0 (not a or b) and added HDCP2.2 support - the same as our current OCB's offer now. The only benefit to an Evolution Kit would be to offer the new version of Tizen which 'could' enable BBC iPlayer and potentially the EDID fix but the last kit, the SEK-3500 was £400. It could I guess also offer HDR10+ too. Again though, this is 'hypothetical' and Samsung has no plans to reintroduce Evolution Kits. Even if you were to buy an 'older' model and it actually 'work', you would be NO better off than the current OCB.

The point I was making though is that when Samsung were offering SEK (Samsung Evolution Kit) they were not cheap and cetainly couldn't change the 'hardware'. All it did was enable those older TV's to receive and play HDR content but only at the max capacity of those TV's - A brand new MU series would offer better HDR than an Evolution Kit plugged into a 2014 HU series TV. Personally, as I said, I would rather Samsung updated the EDID and then give me the choice of what external device I can buy (if I need to as a SkyQ customer anyway) rather than force me to spend £400 on an Evolution Kit (IF they went that route). At what point do you say enough is enough too? Is spending £400 every year (or two) just to have a new 'feature' the best option - especially as after a a few years, you could have spent as much as a 'new' TV costs that delivers better quality specs.

I had that dilemma in 2015/6, I wanted proper HDR on my 55HU7500 and could have spent £400 on a SEK-3500 that would enable me to at least play the content (at ~300nits with only the REC709 colour gamut) OR buy a KS that basically came with the SEK-3500 in the form of the OCB but delivered UHD Premium quality HDR. No doubt if Samsung had continued with the SEK, I would have been required to buy a new one to get HLG for example and still not had 'decent' HDR performance. This is a 'downside' to buying into tech early - before HDR was a thing, then before HLG/HDR10+ was a thing. Its all well and good saying that Samsung (or others) must have known the specs for 'HLG' for example in 2016, but they were not finalised and still a long way from being used. They may nt have known exactly on what platform the apps were going to be built, what standards these would need to work properly. As stated, the issue with the BBC App isn't HLG or UHD but the fact that the app itself won't work properly on the OS. That's nothing new as some Mobile apps don't work on older versions of their OS either.

Anyway, we are still at the same point we were over a week ago. We know that HLG 'can' work over HDMI BUT whether the TV will tell these devices that it can accept a HLG signal or not and when (if ever) Samsung will actually fix this, is still unknown. A fix 'should' enable ALL HLG enabled devices to work over HDMI and until we know more, one way or another, then we will remain in this position. That includes next weeks Sky F1 broadcast - if that doesn't work, it won't mean HLG doesn't work over HDMI, just that SkyQ requires the EDID update to work and again would still leave us in exactly the same position we are today - waiting for a fix to the EDID information that the TV sends to devices. We literally won't be any better OR worse off than we are today until Samsung update the EDID or at least lets us know if and when they intend to fix this.

This is why it pays to listen to people like @Saverio571 as they are more likely to get the information before us as Sky will be updated their before us. They will be able to test any update - assuming they get one before us. Lets hope Samsung at least do this right!!!

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@BAMozzywrote:

@paul1111wrote:

Sorry you mentioned a way around it was to buy an evolution kit but I just had a look and its no longer available.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tv-accessories/evolution-kit-sek-1000/

I was, as others stated, referring to a 'hypothetical' Evolution Kit or even an updated OCB replacement. This would basically offer the updated Tizen which would then enable the latest iPlayer App. That was the way Samsung handled things like this before they decided to drop the Evolution Kits altogether by 2016. The issue is that these only enabled the Software update - the latest version of Tizen and the update to the HDMI ports which on 2014 TV's were only 2.0 (not a or b) and added HDCP2.2 support - the same as our current OCB's offer now. The only benefit to an Evolution Kit would be to offer the new version of Tizen which 'could' enable BBC iPlayer and potentially the EDID fix but the last kit, the SEK-3500 was £400. It could I guess also offer HDR10+ too. Again though, this is 'hypothetical' and Samsung has no plans to reintroduce Evolution Kits. Even if you were to buy an 'older' model and it actually 'work', you would be NO better off than the current OCB.

The point I was making though is that when Samsung were offering SEK (Samsung Evolution Kit) they were not cheap and cetainly couldn't change the 'hardware'. All it did was enable those older TV's to receive and play HDR content but only at the max capacity of those TV's - A brand new MU series would offer better HDR than an Evolution Kit plugged into a 2014 HU series TV. Personally, as I said, I would rather Samsung updated the EDID and then give me the choice of what external device I can buy (if I need to as a SkyQ customer anyway) rather than force me to spend £400 on an Evolution Kit (IF they went that route). At what point do you say enough is enough too? Is spending £400 every year (or two) just to have a new 'feature' the best option - especially as after a a few years, you could have spent as much as a 'new' TV costs that delivers better quality specs.

I had that dilemma in 2015/6, I wanted proper HDR on my 55HU7500 and could have spent £400 on a SEK-3500 that would enable me to at least play the content (at ~300nits with only the REC709 colour gamut) OR buy a KS that basically came with the SEK-3500 in the form of the OCB but delivered UHD Premium quality HDR. No doubt if Samsung had continued with the SEK, I would have been required to buy a new one to get HLG for example and still not had 'decent' HDR performance. This is a 'downside' to buying into tech early - before HDR was a thing, then before HLG/HDR10+ was a thing. Its all well and good saying that Samsung (or others) must have known the specs for 'HLG' for example in 2016, but they were not finalised and still a long way from being used. They may nt have known exactly on what platform the apps were going to be built, what standards these would need to work properly. As stated, the issue with the BBC App isn't HLG or UHD but the fact that the app itself won't work properly on the OS. That's nothing new as some Mobile apps don't work on older versions of their OS either.

Anyway, we are still at the same point we were over a week ago. We know that HLG 'can' work over HDMI BUT whether the TV will tell these devices that it can accept a HLG signal or not and when (if ever) Samsung will actually fix this, is still unknown. A fix 'should' enable ALL HLG enabled devices to work over HDMI and until we know more, one way or another, then we will remain in this position. That includes next weeks Sky F1 broadcast - if that doesn't work, it won't mean HLG doesn't work over HDMI, just that SkyQ requires the EDID update to work and again would still leave us in exactly the same position we are today - waiting for a fix to the EDID information that the TV sends to devices. We literally won't be any better OR worse off than we are today until Samsung update the EDID or at least lets us know if and when they intend to fix this.

This is why it pays to listen to people like @Saverio571 as they are more likely to get the information before us as Sky will be updated their before us. They will be able to test any update - assuming they get one before us. Lets hope Samsung at least do this right!!!

I again thank you for that.  As for our Italian friend I find it difficult to believe him when he said he could get the hlg satellite feed over hdmi using a satellite receiver when we know that was not possible. He even posted a article that said it was not possible.  He then changed his story and said he got using his on board reciever. 

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
Paul1111, never said this. You must stop to come against me. You are not able to read. you can not understand when it's time to finish it. I said I see hotbird in hdr with the internal tuner. Never said to see hotbird with a satellite receiver connected with HDMI.
I am tired of continuing to hear your falsehoods.
Saverio Casadidio
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
since you are so good at unleashing flame I dare you to find where I would write that I saw in HDR via satellite receiver. Before writing anything else, report where I would write this.
Instead of shooting at zero, be constructive. People like you ruin communities. And with this I abandon you.
Saverio Casadidio
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571wrote:
Paul1111, never said this. You must stop to come against me. You are not able to read. you can not understand when it's time to finish it. I said I see hotbird in hdr with the internal tuner. Never said to see hotbird with a satellite receiver connected with HDMI.
I am tired of continuing to hear your falsehoods.

When I said a few weeks backs that you could not get hlg over hdmi you ripped me apart saying I was miss leading every one because you said you could get hlg over hdmi using your sat receiver from the hot bird feed.  It is here on these forums exactly what you said. 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571wrote:
since you are so good at unleashing flame I dare you to find where I would write that I saw in HDR via satellite receiver. Before writing anything else, report where I would write this.
Instead of shooting at zero, be constructive. People like you ruin communities. And with this I abandon you.

I will. 

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
you are a false hypocrite. Report here what I wrote. Hypocritical
Saverio Casadidio