Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 16-03-2018 12:53 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Grinchwrote:

in fact I don’t think it is worth spending money on any current TV from any manufacturer until the broadcasters set the standards. Promises from the manufacturers that their products are future proof are not worth the paper they are written on.

Anyone buying a TV this year before HDMI 2.1 is fully implemented is pretty much buying a gimped set, anyway.

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@Grinchwrote:

in fact I don’t think it is worth spending money on any current TV from any manufacturer until the broadcasters set the standards. Promises from the manufacturers that their products are future proof are not worth the paper they are written on.

Anyone buying a TV this year before HDMI 2.1 is fully implemented is pretty much buying a gimped set, anyway.

depends on what you need, 2.1 bandwidth dependednt features are for HFR and 8K only

Non bandwidth features are possble on current version like  XB1X is adding VRR, some are adding eARC

Broadcast standrds for 4K are pretty much done deal, HLG is the defacto standrad at least for 4K and FHD broadcast so TVCs like Sony, LG and Panasonic are in good shape, even Samsung 2017 sets are properly setup but things will change again when 8K comes along

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Forbes have updated their article... seems the official word is we definitely WON'T be getting iplayer 4k app support.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/02/23/samsung-confirms-no-bbc-iplayer-hdr-support-for-i...

0 Likes
First Poster
Options

I have been checking in on this forum (and post in particular) these past few months.

This recent article seems to clarify Samsung's final position, despite the technical reasons excluding any real technical reason!

This will be my very last Samsung product.

Not only that, but within my circle of friends and family, I am often the go-to-person when it comes to technology purchasing advice. Well if Samsung is happy to use false propoganda to sell their products, then I will also be happy use a similar tactic for the exact opposite purpose.

You reap what you sow.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

Forbes have updated their article... seems the official word is we definitely WON'T be getting iplayer 4k app support.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/02/23/samsung-confirms-no-bbc-iplayer-hdr-support-for-i...

@Well that's that! Why again did we hear this @AntS from else where and not here?  What is really worrying is it seems to be a European standard which our ks will not be able to receive. Ks refunds I now think. 

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

I don't think this really tells us anything we didn't already know. The iPlayer app is not going to be updated to broadcast 4k / HDR / HLG to 2016 TV Sets.

This doesn't change the broader issue of whether the 2016 sets will accept HLG over HDMI from decoders such as Sky Q. If this can be sorted, which I believe it can / will be, then it will mitigate much (if not all) of the loss of the Smart TV iPlayer app.

AntS
Options

Just a quick post to say that I can't comment on articles by non-Samsung folks; and that it's always been the case that as soon as I get any official word on the HLG matter, I'll always let you guys know.

JTE
Navigator
Options

I could not disagree more. Not all consumers want to pay the extra for sky or Evan sky Q. Let’s not forget that BBCiPlayer will be our National Broadcasters delivery method for HDR. Not important if your outside U.K. But as us Brits know that is tremendously significant to us. Further, to date, I am not aware of any other external devices confirmed to offer BBC iPlayer in UHD although must admit to not having checked new Apple TV.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@JTEwrote:

I could not disagree more. Not all consumers want to pay the extra for sky or Evan sky Q. Let’s not forget that BBCiPlayer will be our National Broadcasters delivery method for HDR. Not important if your outside U.K. But as us Brits know that is tremendously significant to us. Further, to date, I am not aware of any other external devices confirmed to offer BBC iPlayer in UHD although must admit to not having checked new Apple TV.

I have asked the same question and I keep getting shot down as ignorant by some of our friends here. 

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options
It isn't only pay tv services though - perfectly feasible to believe that a 4K, HDR able iPlayer app will be available on all number of devices or streaming sticks via HDMI. Many of these devices fall to to £30 mark relatively quickly, surely that is the overarching ambition here, that the EDID issue is fixed and 4K HDR / HLG is fully implementable over HDMI.

My view again, for what it's worth, is that the iPlayer issue is only one part of a much more important jigsaw.