Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 10-03-2018 04:39 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Jay108
Voyager
Options

JTE
Navigator
Options

Clarifying the thread is possibly helpful, however, omission of BBC iPlayer UHD is a mistake in my mind. As far as we know this is the only way our national broadcaster funded by licence fees will deliver UHD HDR for the forceeable future. Removing that from the thread title let’s Samsung off the hook. I for 1 will use this thread to demonstrate the scale of anger and miselling when going to small claims court.

JTE
Navigator
Options
JS owners also have a grievance over failure to provide a upgraded evolution kit as the promise made about the ability to future proof has simply not been delivered. Even if for technical reasons the current kit cannot deliver HLG ( which we don’t actually know to be the case) a upgraded evolution box would have solved the issue.
Grinch
Explorer
Options

Hi

i have lost the plot of this thread. I thought it was originally about the BBC iPlayer Blue Planet 2 HLG not working on the Samsung TV’s in particular the 2016 KS and earlier JS models after being promised by Samsung they would.

The thread has morphed into all manner of 4K Issues, which possibly is letting Samsung off the hook. I am guessing my KS9000 is nothing more than a “Pup” and certainly will never purchase another product from Samsung.

in fact I don’t think it is worth spending money on any current TV from any manufacturer until the broadcasters set the standards. Promises from the manufacturers that their products are future proof are not worth the paper they are written on.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@Grinchwrote:

Hi

i have lost the plot of this thread. I thought it was originally about the BBC iPlayer Blue Planet 2 HLG not working on the Samsung TV’s in particular the 2016 KS and earlier JS models after being promised by Samsung they would.

The thread has morphed into all manner of 4K Issues, which possibly is letting Samsung off the hook. I am guessing my KS9000 is nothing more than a “Pup” and certainly will never purchase another product from Samsung.

in fact I don’t think it is worth spending money on any current TV from any manufacturer until the broadcasters set the standards. Promises from the manufacturers that their products are future proof are not worth the paper they are written on.

Agreed.  It's shocking that manufacturers can make such false claims to sell their products and can get away with it.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@JTEwrote:

Clarifying the thread is possibly helpful, however, omission of BBC iPlayer UHD is a mistake in my mind. As far as we know this is the only way our national broadcaster funded by licence fees will deliver UHD HDR for the forceeable future. Removing that from the thread title let’s Samsung off the hook. I for 1 will use this thread to demonstrate the scale of anger and miselling when going to small claims court.

@JTE  Whilst some interesting connecting issues were raised decision was made to focus on the main point of the thread and the proposed new title is "iPlayer HLG on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs"  which to my mind covers  Iplayer UHD HDR, HLG is after all a type of HDR and the format BBC will be using.  Think everyone knows  BBC were using UHD HDR. The experiences/findings featured on this thread have been presented to senior management in a report format so the title of the thread will not make a great deal of difference to them.  However appreciate the ongoing concerns on this issue.  Point was previously conveyed by  @AntS- as an example see page 151 of this thread https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/Blue-Planet-2-HLG-No-Samsung/td-p/339023/page/151

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

Could I also ask this of posters here? If you do need to ‘quote’ a previous post, please trim it so that only the relevant part is quoted. Otherwise I’m skimming past reams of stuff which is a repeat of what I’ve just read. It’s very tiresome, and makes the thread unnecessarily longer.

Thanks 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@ukpeteywrote:

please trim it 

Hear, hear! It's been ludicrous recently.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@ukpeteywrote:

Could I also ask this of posters here? If you do need to ‘quote’ a previous post, please trim it so that only the relevant part is quoted.

Had been thinking the same, at times it's 6+ quotes and some of it looks untidy in any case.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

AntS
Options

Hi all.

I’ve made the adjustment to the thread title (thanks @ewanstancarr :robothappy:), and I’ve taken on board JTE’s point in case folks aren’t aware that HLG is the BBC’s chosen HDR format.

I’ve also edited ewanstancarr's original post to include the BBC’s own page about HLG: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range so that anyone stumbling into this thread from the first page is able to give themselves a tutorial from the format developers.

The topic of the thread from now on is:

iPlayer HLG/ UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs.

• If you guys reply to either this post of mine or ewanstancarr's original one, it should have the new title in the subject line.
  • If there's any off-topic or spin-off topics, then please bump an existing thread on that topic, or make a new thread on it.

Just a couple of other points:

• The change of title is more for the benefit of those reading and participating in the thread, and won’t affect things at the Samsung end at this stage. As JAMES4578  correctly said, the reporting I’ve done highlights the specific issues you guys have reported (HLG, SmartThings etc.), and the who and how many, rather than going by the thread  title.
  • Quote trimming is a great suggestion -  for the reasons highighted by both ukpetey and JAMES4578 above.

Thanks for keeping going on this epic and twisty journey. Hope to get a final answer on all of this for you as soon as we can.