Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 07-03-2018 07:15 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111wrote:

At the end of the day is there any 2016 or older Samsung TVs that can display IPLAYER hlg? Is there any way it can be done?  

We think that in the future it will be possible with an external device like (these are examples, not an actual list) a Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Sky Q box, or anything that can be upgraded to work with DVB-DASH.

@paul1111wrote:

Will sky hlg work via hdmi? 

We think that it will, in the future,  after we have a firmware upgrade to fix the EDID bug

@paul1111wrote:

Have 2016 and older Samsung owners been mi's lead?

In my OPINION, yes about HDR10+ if it's not delivered.

@paul1111wrote:

Will Samsung 2016 and older get HDR10 +?  

Unknown, but it's not looking very good is it.

@paul1111wrote:

And we do know we will not get the smart connect dongle as promised.  Have I got anything wrong? 

Yes, we know for certain that we will not get it as promised.

Nothing wrong just a lot all in one post and it's taken a lot of time to post this reply quoting clearly.

Items unknown/ waiting for are just these:

• statement from Samsung, here, (not a journalist on a 3rd party website citing no named sources) about BBC iPlayer/DVB-DASH
  • the timing of the HDR10+ announcement,
  • the timing of the firmware fixing EDID, hopefully "soon"
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

As expected, no statement about HDR10+ support for the 2016 models at Samsung's live event today.

Argh, sorry. Please blame me and not anyone else for that one. I've just gone back and checked his post, and it said

"I just heard from one of the US-based engineers that the company will soon make a formal announcement regarding support for HDR10+ on 2016 models.  He didn't have a date for the announcement, but the formal launch event for the 2018 models is scheduled for March 7th in NYC." [SOURCE]

Several people including me assumed/hoped/extrapolated that it would be today. But he never said that. Sorry again.

Fair enough. I'm still not expecting any kind of formal announcement, though. This is the same company who, for over a year, has not publicly announced that their 2016 TVs support HLG, even though we know they do.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@paul1111wrote:

At the end of the day is there any 2016 or older Samsung TVs that can display IPLAYER hlg? Is there any way it can be done?  

We think that in the future it will be possible with an external device like a Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Sky Q box, or anything that can be upgraded to work with DVB-DASH.

@paul1111wrote:

We think that it will, in the future,  after we have a firmware upgrade to fix the EDID bug

@paul1111wrote:

In my OPINION, yes about HDR10+ if it's not delivered.

@paul1111wrote:

Unknown, but it's not looking very good is it.

@paul1111wrote:

And we do know we will not get the smart connect dongle as promised.  Have I got anything wrong? 

Yes, we know for certain that we will not get it as promised.

Nothing wrong just a lot all in one post and it's taken a lot of time to post this reply quoting clearly.

Items unknown/ waiting for are just these:

• statement from Samsung, here, (not a jouranlist on a 3rd party website citing no named sources) about BBC iPlayer/DVB-DASH
  • the timing of the HDR10+ announcement,
  • the timing of the firmware fixing EDID, hopefully "soon"

I thank you for that quick and friendly reply,  which I think is on topic.  All I want at the end of the day is the same as other owners and that is to get through all the info and see where we stand and if I should look at other options we have seen. I just would like Samsung to do the right thing.  The question is,  can the TV be software updated and that is where it would be nice for a response from Samsung? 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

Fair enough. I'm still not expecting any kind of formal announcement, though. This is the same company who, for over a year, has not publicly announced that their 2016 TVs support HLG, even though we know they do.

Quite. They are very shy of it aren't they. Maybe not including HLG flags in the HDMI's EDID was fully in line with that strategy 😞

There's a guy on twitter who maintains a very complicated Venn Diagram of all the different HDR standards. He refused to put Samsung in the "HLG" bit for 10 months because Samsung refused to tell anyone that they supported HLG. It was a complete stalemate. The only thing that broke the stalement and changed his mind was the BBC's webpage which listed the 2017 Samsung models!

Here it is, probably out of date by now but hey:

HDR systems Jan 2018.jpg

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

2016 LG OLEDs reached about 700 nits of peak, and the 2017 models could be calibrated to about 900 nits. So these TVs can get very bright, while maintaining perfect blacks. I bet the 2018 models will be able to do over 1000 nits.

So the notion that LG OLEDs lack for peak brightness isn't really true anymore.

Their issue is the tone mapping. They use mastering display peak luminance, which can have some pretty bad results. 

But they implement dynamic tone mapping which gives pretty decent results, check video from Vincent Teoh of hdtvtest

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@mrticklewrote:

@chopples123wrote:

Hi I will give it another go, What do you not understand or disagree with mate?

To what benefit, can't we all move on? 

At the end of the day is there any 2016 or older Samsung TVs that can display IPLAYER hlg? Is there any way it can be done?  Will sky hlg work via hdmi? Have 2016 and older Samsung owners been mi's lead? Will Samsung 2016 and older get HDR10 +?  And we do know we will not get the smart connect dongle as promised.  Have I got anything wrong? 

At the end of the day is there any 2016 or older Samsung TVs that can display IPLAYER hlg?

At the moment NO - Its basically guaranteed that the in-built App won't support 4k/HLG iPlayer. That doesn't mean that there won't ever be a way to watch 4k/HLG iPlayer which is why its IMPORTANT we look at HLG over HDMI and whether or not Samsung sort ut the EDID issue as that will enable a multitude of devices that may have 4k/HLG iPlayer enabled and therefore work.

Is there any way it can be done?

See above. There are other ways - like a big update to Tizen that would then enable the inbuilt App to work but that's much more unlikely than the EDID fix..

Again - see above. That really depends on if Sky requires the TV to state its HLG or whether just HDR will be enough but I expect it will need the EDID fix. Until Sky launches HDR and starts broadcasting though, we don't know for definite and could well be fixed by the time Sky start broadcasting in the UK

Depends on how many assumptions you made with each statement from Samsung. They never mentioned iPlayer (or ANY 3rd Party Apps) with regards to HLG. The statement was that the TV would be enabled - doesn't mean that ALL 3rd party software can or will take advantage of that and they certainly can't promise that these 3rd party Apps will offer HLG. Its similar to when they said HDR gaming will be supported (it wasn't on release) and that was patched - however it doesn't automatically switch to a HDR Game mode but Samsung NEVER promised that - people assumed and expected that but Game mode does support HDR as they said it would. If you bought your TV with SmartThings in mind and all that promised, then you have been miss-sold/Miss-lead. HDR10+ may well be too early to comment on as that hasn't officially been cancelled and HLG could well be 'fixed' to work with other devices so miss-lead is perhaps to strong but maybe not if things don't get fixed/patched. A lot of the problem is that a single sentence has lead to a LOT of Assumption and expectation - so if you have made assumptions and expected far more than was actually promised/delivered, then is that being miss-lead or mis-interpreted by the consumer?

Who knows? I think its unlikely the older TV's will - Samsung never mentioned 2015 and older TV's at all with regards to HDR10+. We haven't had any official statement eitherway and therefore only Samsung know. Its looking increasingly unlikely as they have gone out of their way to remove any statement from their website...

ALL of the above has been stated over and over and over again yet you still continue to demand Answers. ALL of these are unlikely to be answered in the next 24hrs either and some could take 'months' to be answered (if they ever do) so demanding answers to the same questions over and over again isn't helping or constructive. I hope though that you now have the answers - as vague as they are because we are NO closer to definitive answers than we were yesterday, last week, last month even.

The only thing we know for definite is that the promised SmartThings dongle has been cancelled and therefore if you bought your TV based on that function/feature, you have every reason to go for a miss-selling claim. If you don't like the implementation of HLG so far and/or waiting to see if things are improved - along with waiting for official statement on HDR10+ then you may be able to use SmartThings to your advantage to go for a miss-selling claim

However waiting is all we KS owners can do. The information and answers you are seeking are not forthcoming and certainly some won't be answered conclusively for months. Its possiblre that Samsung could fix the EDID issue in the next couple of months and then we could have access to BBC 4kHLG iPlayer through external devices (very unlikely we will get it through the internal App) and that would then answer your question about iPlayer, Sky etc but at the moment, we will just have to wait - so little point in asking the same questions over and over again - I am sure that if members of this thread get any 'new' information, it will be posted here!

edindundee
Pioneer
Options

No.

Actually NO.

Let's NOT give him a break.

Why would anyone attempt to converse in written English on a technical discussion if they are unable to do so with absolute clarity? It's bad enough for native English speakers. It confuses, angers,  and sows seeds of disinformation. 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@edindundeewrote:

No.

Actually NO.

Let's NOT give him a break.

Actually YES, give him a break, the Moderator has made the position very, very clear. It's not your call to make or mine. Treat people with respect.

edindundee
Pioneer
Options

I treat everyone with the respect they deserve. Please do the same for me.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options
Relevant to the earlier discussion, and beautiful regardless:

From blu-ray.com
"For those who have devices that support HDR on YouTube, check out this demo that's been uploaded in both HDR10 and HLG. A good comparison between the two. HDR10 version has deeper contrast and richer colors, while HLG looks slightly brighter overall, but the colors look a bit washed out in comparison."
IMPORTANT: those descriptions of the colours are someone's OPINION.

HDR10:
SONY STAND NAB SHOW 2018 SAMPLE 1 HDR 10 BT 2020 Color 10 Bit - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Dz33gtNOs

---------------------
HLG:
SONY STAND NAB SHOW 2018 SAMPLE 1 HYBRID GAMMA HDR HLG - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ86ThGgXk0

Enjoy.
0 Likes