Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 07-03-2018 06:38 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Pete1234
Explorer
Options

I don't know how you can interpret the words differently but each to their own.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

2016 LG OLEDs reached about 700 nits of peak, and the 2017 models could be calibrated to about 900 nits. So these TVs can get very bright, while maintaining perfect blacks. I bet the 2018 models will be able to do over 1000 nits.

So the notion that LG OLEDs lack for peak brightness isn't really true anymore.

Their issue is the tone mapping. They use mastering display peak luminance, which can have some pretty bad results. 

Deffo mate, Its also worth noting due to there black and contrast levels they only require a peak brightness of 540 nits to be deemed HDR premium whereas LCD's require 1000

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111wrote:

Don't rely on your memory - click the link in his post up there and you can read it today ^^^^

I am glad you used bold I can now see that better even without my glasses.  Again I asked and thank you for the link but why shout at me? 

It wasn't shouting, CAPS is shouting :smiling-face: I just used it for emphasis. No worries.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Pete1234wrote:
No that isn't what it says. The list show TVs which can play the UltraHD stream. "All episodes of Blue Planet II are now available to watch in Ultra HD (UHD) and High Dynamic Range (HDR) on compatible TV devices.

Devices that are supported are listed at the bottom of this page."

SkyQ was an exception that got it's own statement: "Sky Q behaves slightly differently however as you’ll need to manually select the UHD option in BBC iPlayer to access the episodes."

Be careful you might be told that you are wrong and get flamed as I did. 

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@Pete1234wrote:
No that isn't what it says. The list show TVs which can play the UltraHD stream. "All episodes of Blue Planet II are now available to watch in Ultra HD (UHD) and High Dynamic Range (HDR) on compatible TV devices.

Devices that are supported are listed at the bottom of this page."

SkyQ was an exception that got it's own statement: "Sky Q behaves slightly differently however as you’ll need to manually select the UHD option in BBC iPlayer to access the episodes."

Be careful you might be told that you are wrong and get flamed as I did. 

Hi I will give it another go, What do you not understand or disagree with mate?

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123wrote:

To what benefit, can't we all move on? 

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@chopples123wrote:

Appreciate that mate but the information they are giving out is wrong, Other readers may go out and buy a hisense or whatever to replace there KS because they believe they will be getting BBC HLG. when all they would be getting is the UHD SDR trial on an inferior TV

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@chopples123wrote:

At the end of the day is there any 2016 or older Samsung TVs that can display IPLAYER hlg? Is there any way it can be done?  Will sky hlg work via hdmi? Have 2016 and older Samsung owners been mi's lead? Will Samsung 2016 and older get HDR10 +?  And we do know we will not get the smart connect dongle as promised.  Have I got anything wrong? 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

As expected, no statement about HDR10+ support for the 2016 models at Samsung's live event today.

Argh, sorry. Please blame me and not anyone else for that one. I've just gone back and checked his post, and it said

"I just heard from one of the US-based engineers that the company will soon make a formal announcement regarding support for HDR10+ on 2016 models.  He didn't have a date for the announcement, but the formal launch event for the 2018 models is scheduled for March 7th in NYC." [SOURCE]

Several people including me assumed/hoped/extrapolated that it would be today. But he never said that. Sorry again.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@mrticklewrote:

@chopples123wrote:

At the end of the day is there any 2016 or older Samsung TVs that can display IPLAYER hlg? Is there any way it can be done?  Will sky hlg work via hdmi? Have 2016 and older Samsung owners been mi's lead? Will Samsung 2016 and older get HDR10 +?  And we do know we will not get the smart connect dongle as promised.  Have I got anything wrong? 

alot of questions bud but I wasnt disputing any of this. Will unsubscribe now fellas, dont want to have any bashed keyboards on my conscience. 

best of luck

cheers

cheers