Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 06-03-2018 05:48 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
amokuk
Voyager
Options
I predict lots of shouting on here on the 8th... You know it isn't going to work
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I know I have read that sky could broadcast using HDR10 for on demand and normal programs but as  I understand that can not be used for live streaming, you have to use HLG. It just I have not seen from sky they will be using hlg for live streaming. I have seen 4k and atmos for live football but not hdr/hlg. Again I could be wrong and if I am I will happily except being shown wrong as long as I don't get shouted at please.

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

But Samsung are working for solution. Not tomorrow bit Will come new firmware

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

In Italy F1 4k HDR HLG. It's official.

Saverio Casadidio
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@amokukwrote:
I predict lots of shouting on here on the 8th... You know it isn't going to work

That very well may be the case. Given the EDID issue with DirecTV equipment, it could be that there's a problem with the way the TV deals with HEVC HLG over HDMI.

From my experience, even though I have a setup that can display HLG over HDMI on my KS TV, HLG over HDMI looks pretty bad. The skin tones especialy are horrendous - they have this ugly shade of dark red. If that's the way it would look on live broadcast TV, then we are better off waiting until Samsung fixes this. Having HLG over HDMI look the way it currently does via YouTube would just ruin your TV watching experience. 

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

Come to think of it, the KS series TVs have had EDID issues with other devices as well, not just with DirecTV equipment.

The Chromecast Ultra, for example, would send HDR metadata in a way that these TVs could not display HDR correctly. The colors were more washed out than they were via the internal apps or via other external devices. TVs from other manufacturers did not have this issue.

Very poor form from Samsung.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

My telly ks was replaced for an inferior q9f which is going back on Thursday for a full refund from Samsung, so really my issues have been dealt with. Its a bit sad to see how this thread has been hijacked by those trying to prove something that has nothing to do with Iplayer HLG. But not my problem as my next TV will have that capability. I think the Sky announcement threw a big spanner into  this discussion, but really it only affects those with sky subscriptions. It would be nice though if you could get iplayer hlg through sky. Yes it important to look at other sources for HLG but maybe that should be in its own thread where people interested in that can join in. This thread is about the Iplayer HLG and as such I now do believe it has no where to go as it is quite clear your will not get HLG over iplayer as it is. It may happen over other sources and that would be welcomed but it not over the independent BBC Iplayer Internet service, which as long as you have licence is free.

There has been a lot mud slinging and some very long posts all about HLG over HDMI but what has that got to do with Iplayer 4k HLG?

Soon to have a new telly

Paul

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

ERCOLINO have a message for you. I ask to translate ERCOLINO post.

Samsung tv of 2016 are non compatible with HLG di Sky. Samsung are working for a solution with new firmware perhaps in April.

https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?193907-Sky-4K-HDR-(DVB-S2-11219H-29900-5-6)&p=5641799&vi...

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277wrote:

I know I have read that sky could broadcast using HDR10 for on demand and normal programs but as  I understand that can not be used for live streaming, you have to use HLG. It just I have not seen from sky they will be using hlg for live streaming. I have seen 4k and atmos for live football but not hdr/hlg. Again I could be wrong and if I am I will happily except being shown wrong as long as I don't get shouted at please.

Correct for both "live streaming" and actual live broadcasting (which is what Sky do), HLG is the world beater.

:smiling-face:

Sky don't do any live streaming now, I highly doubt they are going to start.  [not including any future Netflix app which may include it]

Sky currently deliver programmes in two ways.

1. Broadcasting via a satellite dish, which you can watch live or record the broadcast onto disc for later playback. This is real broadcasting in the traditional sense, and these will be HLG broadcasts as discussed. It is one stream of data being created at one time (uplinked to a satellite) with all us viewers receiving the same thing (via a dish, LNB, and satellite receiver) in our homes at precisely the same time. 

2. "On Demand" downloading of whole programmes. This is never used for live events, by definition. In theory, Sky could have a completely separate HDR10 set of files to use for this, but it would make their systems massively more complicated - they've have to spend all the time creating the HDR10 files from the original HLG broadcasts. Instead of what they are more likely going to do, send people the HLG files. Yes you can start watching the file before it's finished downloading, but it isn't a "live stream" being created at that moment, it is a complete file created earlier.

(3) Other programme providers (not Sky) offer "live streaming" where you can join a stream, such as on YouTube, and everyone gets it at the same time. But it's not being "transmitted" and "recieved" really in the broadcasting sense. It's more "mult-casting". 

Some people have recently started calling numbers 2 and 3 "broadcasting", but this is incredibly unhelpful in these discussions which are already confusing enough. It muddies the waters, and it's not "broadcasting" in the traditional sense. So personally I don't see the need to lump something new and different ("on demand" downloads, at a time of your choosing) in with an already well-established and understood word which has a specific meaning; regretfully that ship appears to have sailed, but I'm definitely not aboard it. For clarity, it really doesn't help when we're in technically discussions to blur things.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

ERCOLINO have a message for you. I ask to translate ERCOLINO post.

Samsung tv of 2016 are non compatible with HLG di Sky. Samsung are working for a solution with new firmware perhaps in April.

https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?193907-Sky-4K-HDR-(DVB-S2-11219H-29900-5-6)&p=5641799&vi...

I am getting old and really confused but I thank @Saverio571 for showing this link and I am getting famous, may be not a good thing! It says the KU series but what about the KS series? It also says Samsung are working on a fix but they must have known about this issue for months if not more and it is only now they are working on a fix. Again please correct me if I have got things wrong but does something seem worrying.