Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 06-03-2018 12:33 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@chopples123wrote:

The way i word stuff often sounds better in my head. But yes when i say decode I mean the processing of the video and not specifically handling the HDR metadata (whatever that may be)

The reason I initially posted was to hopefully try and shift focus away from iplayer, we are all flogging a dead horse with that one, and try to focus on being able to access the same content over HDMI. Issues have now been raised with the EDID on Samsung sets but if this can be addressed then that gives options not just for SKY but for any future devices with the potential of having an Iplayer app. Not ideal but its surely better than disposing of the TV for an overall worse model, or having to stump up a large chunk of change to get something comparible

Its Funny you mention a HDfury as that was the device which popped into my head when I was talking about forcing a signal.

best of luck and hopefully this will all be resolved to your satisfaction

cheers

iplayer is not a dead horse, DVB-DASH is one of widely used standards, many services will use it including BBC for future HLG programming - so any fix would be welcome

amokuk
Voyager
Options
I totally agree, please stop describing iplayer HLG as a dead horse or side issue. It is not!! It is incredibly important and definitely as important as sky. Like i have constantly said iplayer is the only game in town right now for bbc uhd content. Not only that this is a standards issue, it should support this stuff as promised.
chopples123
Voyager
Options

lads u need to read the whole post in its context, reading one line and losing your heads isnt constructive

I never said iplayer HLG is a dead horse, I am saying the possibility of it working within the internal App is a dead horse, This is official.

Instead of going off on one and causing yourself an aneurysm I think it is best to try and explore other options for BBC's HLG content. Once the EDID issue is resolved we should have an option (via an external device). And no this isnt right before anyone says, but I would wager most would take that right now as generally they are happy with there TV

cheers

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@amokukwrote:
I totally agree, please stop describing iplayer HLG as a dead horse or side issue. It is not!! It is incredibly important and definitely as important as sky. Like i have constantly said iplayer is the only game in town right now for bbc uhd content. Not only that this is a standards issue, it should support this stuff as promised.

I totally agree and it nice to know some device's can receive hlg from other sources  but do they play IPLAYER hlg on the ks?   Are there any devices anyone knows or has heard are in the pipe line? We will soon find out about sky as I do have sky. 

There was another update for the 2017 models wonder what that was for? 

Philwales23
Student
Options

Hi my first post so please be gentle with me.

I bought my KS8000 back in March 2017. I did do a bit reading and looked at the Samsung and retailers information and it did seem the best of the bunch, and it seem to be saying it was state of the art. I did read about the HLG support and did think of the Iplayer as it had previously played HLG samples. At the time there were no other hlg players. I must say I was and still am impressed with the TV's picture and have had no issues there. So I sat down to watch Blue Planet 2 Iplayer HLG, and we all know what happened next. I agree with most on here, but there does seem to be a move to push the thread away from its core issue, and yes I know we can get HLG via youtube and it seems from a limited amount of devices over HDMI. The question is and I agree with some is will we ever get Iplayer 4K and HLG on the KS, and as important Sky HDR/HLG?

As for the HDM10+ I do remember this was not really an issue, but it was very annoying to read and see Youtube not long after I bought the TV, from Samsung that they were going to do update the 2016 models to enable the KS and then some months later when it was possible to test this in America with Amazon, Samsung then said not yet!

It is very interesting what the moderater @ants said with the response from Samsung over the Smart Connect dongle which was something I remember would be nice to have, will now not be given as advertised. They are offering a free smart hub, which sounds a bit like a form of compensation. What I have read about this free smart hub is it will not allow you to have the KS at the center of your hub as the dongle would have. As others have said on this and other forums this is a breech of consumer law for misrepresentation, and  should it not be the case that all retailers who advertised this feature hold up their hands and give refunds as per the regs to those who feel the have been miss sold and then deal with Samsung?

Thanks 

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@chopples123wrote:

lads u need to read the whole post in its context, reading one line and losing your heads isnt constructive

I never said iplayer HLG is a dead horse, I am saying the possibility of it working within the internal App is a dead horse, This is official.

Instead of going off on one and causing yourself an aneurysm I think it is best to try and explore other options for BBC's HLG content. Once the EDID issue is resolved we should have an option (via an external device). And no this isnt right before anyone says, but I would wager most would take that right now as generally they are happy with there TV

cheers

looks like you are writing yet thinking something else, happens to everyone :smileytongue:

If internal player cannot be updated then it is amajopr setback as you never know if an alternate source will be hit by EDID issue

native DVB-DASH is far too important to be left out unless there are external devices that can mitigate this issue

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@amokukwrote:

I totally agree and it nice to know some device's can receive hlg from other sources  but do they play IPLAYER hlg on the ks?   Are there any devices anyone knows or has heard are in the pipe line? We will soon find out about sky as I do have sky. 

There was another update for the 2017 models wonder what that was for? 

According to Rudy1 on AVS it was an 'unauthorised' update that was released before the global stoppage on all firmware updates came into effect.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123wrote:

Yes that is beauty of HLG is it can be mapped real time and metadata included in the same stream as the SDR broadcast.

Actually it's even better than that! :face-with-tears-of-joy: HLG does not use any metadata at all. There is not "an SDR stream" and "an HDR stream". There is ONE stream, the "H" in "HLG" is for Hybrid, it is a single hybrid signal. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

The lack of a need for metadata is why it's suitable for live broadcasting.

Invented by the BBC and NHK in Japan, and I'm proud to fund this part of the BBC's efforts. HLG is going to take off worldwide.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@hdmiwrote:

@chopples123wrote:

cheers

looks like you are writing yet thinking something else, happens to everyone :smileytongue:

If internal player cannot be updated then it is amajopr setback as you never know if an alternate source will be hit by EDID issue

native DVB-DASH is far too important to be left out unless there are external devices that can mitigate this issue

1. The way I read it, he meant that [the discussion about whether Samsung will provide the necessary firmware/OS changes to allow DVB-DASH to work and therefore iPlayer 4kHlg to work] is flogging a dead horse, because based on the information we have, Samsung are not going to do this. I know none of us want to hear this, but after all of December, January and February, that is the outcome as we currently know it. 

2. Based on the information we have, Samsung are definitely going to fix the EDID bug, and then the TV will tell anything connected over HDMI that it can handle HLG, so all those devices (DirectTV / Sky satellite recievers, for a start) will send a HLG signal down the HDMI cable....

3. .... which we know, as an established fact just like I said last week (thanks again to @UHDHDR for his screenshot last night), that the TV can display correctly and auto-switch to HDR mode and display correctly in all its magnificent unmistakable HDR glory.

3a. Currently devices which aren't strict with the EDID, and merrily send the HLG signal down the HDMI cable regardless, work best with our TV. The devices that are strict and check it don't send it a HLG signal, at the moment, but they will when the EDID bug is fixed.

4. Agree that DVB-DASH is important, however see (1) so it'll be up to connected devices (eg Roku sticks etc) to do it for us.

HTH

dunwell
Voyager
Options

This is a really helpful summary, thank you MrTickle.