Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-03-2018 05:33 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Kendo88
Explorer
Options

wrote:

Broadcasts will clearly be HLG (not least because the HDR10 metadata can't be created until you have the entire programme file to parse and analyse to find the brightest frames to create the metadata, which is needed by the TV at the start). This will be fine for our TVs because it is an established fact that HLG over HDMI works.

"On Demand" downloaded content (ie not a satellite broadcast) can technically be either but I'd be surprised if Sky went to the trouble of needlessly converting HLG to HDR10.

It’s a fact that 2016 KS TV’s support HLG over HDMI? Definitely not. Not one example of broadcast HLG working over HDMI. They only thing that works is YouTube and USB. The above post about sky Italy, not supported. Look at DirecTV in the USA, they have HLG on their box and guess what? It doesn’t work on 2016 Samsung’s. DirecTV engineers looked into it and came to the conclusion that the 2016 Samsung’s didn’t support it, as the EDID did not label HLG support, therefore the box didn’t send it.

i would be totally shocked if Sky Q HLG works on 2016 Samsung’s. Samsung have shafted all of its buyers

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@AntS. Any Update from Samsung higher Management. Are discussions still ongoing?   

We are hearing from other source that HLG upgrade will never be provided  for KS models.  Is this true? 

Can you please push for a defenitive statement from Samsung On HDR10+ and HLG upgrade for KS models? 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Kendo88wrote:

It’s a fact that 2016 KS TV’s support HLG over HDMI? Definitely not. Not one example of broadcast HLG working over HDMI. They only thing that works is YouTube and USB. The above post about sky Italy, not supported. Look at DirecTV in the USA, they have HLG on their box and guess what? It doesn’t work on 2016 Samsung’s. DirecTV engineers looked into it and came to the conclusion that the 2016 Samsung’s didn’t support it, as the EDID did not label HLG support, therefore the box didn’t send it.

i would be totally shocked if Sky Q HLG works on 2016 Samsung’s. Samsung have shafted all of its buyers

Virgin Media are currently piloting an HDR update for its V6 box.  I've had confirmation from a respected user on the trial that the Blue Planet 2 clip on the V6 iPlarer app does play in HDR.  So it looks that when this is rolled out it won't work on my KS8000?  Shame.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Kendo88wrote:
They only thing that works is YouTube and USB. The above post about sky Italy, not supported. Look at DirecTV in the USA, they have HLG on their box and guess what? It doesn’t work on 2016 Samsung’s. DirecTV engineers looked into it and came to the conclusion that the 2016 Samsung’s didn’t support it, as the EDID did not label HLG support, therefore the box didn’t send it.

i would be totally shocked if Sky Q HLG works on 2016 Samsung’s. 

Well if the fix for DirectTV arrives as we think it will (1), we'll know more. If it's just an EDID issue that shouldn't be too hard to fix. You can even change the EDID yourself in the Service Menu if you're feeling brave.

Clearly, Samsung is a company that doesn't want to communicate effectively with its customers, so the only things we have to go on are passed on by journalists and people who have contacts in the industry (2). Also, see (3) with regards to my previous sentence. Thanks.

(1) See <THIS POST> on the reaction of Samsung USA when hearing that Samsung Engineering in Korea were going to go back on their promise to roll out HDR10+ on the KS 2016 models, widely reported not just in press releases but also industry articles ("The one thing they cannot erase are the many trade publication articles written since the sets first debuted which clearly outline their plans for updating the firmware. It is so ridiculous that any company would attempt to do such a thing, but they're not the first and they certainly will not be the last.")

(2) See <THIS POST>

(3) DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSENGER.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@JAMES4578wrote:

I'm posting this  on behalf of @Saverio571  in connection with SkyQ's  4K HDR:

In Italy Sky from March 25 will broadcast  F1 in 4k HDR on Sky Q. On 8 March the beta testers will receive an update that enables the HDMI port to 2.0b. At this time the Samsung 2016  sets are not compatible with the Sky HLG via HDMI port. As far as I know  they have promised a firmware that enables the HLG of Sky but do not know when it will arrive.
The solution adopted by Sky in Italy for 4K HDR will be the same as that which shall be  be adopted in the UK. 

Thankyou, yes this is my understanding also.

We need the firmware fix (for the EDID issue - the HDMI ports are already upgraded to 2.0b and HLG works when forced) which is the same fix that our DirectTV friends in America are waiting for. No timescales on it as you say, but there's certainly a lot of pressure from DirectTV customers over there for what is a relatively simple change.

Kendo88
Explorer
Options

If it is only an EDID thing, then as you say, it’s an easy fix. But then again, the HDR game mode issue isn’t a terribly difficult fix, especially when the fix was already developed for 2017 models.

i don’t believe the difficulty of the fixes are the problem, it’s samsungs willingness to actually do it. Updates have more than likely stopped being developed for 2016 models. No new update on any region in 2018?

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Jay108  @AntS.  Also the 2015 JS and earlier 4k UHD TVs please.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@JAMES4578wrote:

I'm posting this  on behalf of @Saverio571  in connection with SkyQ's  4K HDR:

In Italy Sky from March 25 will broadcast  F1 in 4k HDR on Sky Q. On 8 March the beta testers will receive an update that enables the HDMI port to 2.0b. At this time the Samsung 2016  sets are not compatible with the Sky HLG via HDMI port. As far as I know  they have promised a firmware that enables the HLG of Sky but do not know when it will arrive.
The solution adopted by Sky in Italy for 4K HDR will be the same as that which shall be  be adopted in the UK.

This sounds abut like de ja veu,  another promise,  but until the first broadcast we will not know. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwellwrote:

If that is the case here then I will be absolutely gutted. 

I am afraid it is,  and it is also worrying about Sky HDR. But def no IPLAYER HLG, no HDR10+ and no smart connect USB dongle! Suggest if the dongle is important go for a refund. It is interesting that I am accused of having an agenda and they are correct and I do not apologize for that because ks and older owners have been treated poorly. 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwellwrote:
And will also be a definite break of their weasel promise around “broadcast” HDR.

You are right because they can say sky is not broadcast when it is over the Internet as planned. They could also claim over satellite is not broadcast like the did with IPLAYER. 

0 Likes