Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 02-03-2018 02:12 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@dunwellwrote:

Well we now know that HDR on SkyQ will be switched on this year. For owners of 2016 KS televisions this is the critical moment.

I've been following this thread with great interest. I love my KS8000 so much that the iPlayer fiasco wasn't enough for me to initiate refund requests etc. I was highly irritated by it of course.

If SkyQ HDR broadcasts work with this television over HDMI then I will be delighted. Not too long to wait to find out hopefully.

One thing I'm not clear on is whether this 'HDR Update' is for all SkyQ boxes or just the 2tb ones, as currently these are the only ones that are 4k capable.

I don't think the press releases so far have clarified this, unless someone has seen a PR that does?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@dunwellwrote:

Well we now know that HDR on SkyQ will be switched on this year. For owners of 2016 KS televisions this is the critical moment.

I've been following this thread with great interest. I love my KS8000 so much that the iPlayer fiasco wasn't enough for me to initiate refund requests etc. I was highly irritated by it of course.

If SkyQ HDR broadcasts work with this television over HDMI then I will be delighted. Not too long to wait to find out hopefully.

One thing I'm not clear on is whether this 'HDR Update' is for all SkyQ boxes or just the 2tb ones, as currently these are the only ones that are 4k capable.

I don't think the press releases so far have clarified this, unless someone has seen a PR that does?

I read it was the 2t boxes and with anything new with sky they will want to make a premium out of it just like when HD came out and still with football HD. 

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@paul1277wrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@dunwellwrote:

I read it was the 2t boxes and with anything new with sky they will want to make a premium out of it just like when HD came out and still with football HD. 

Yeah, just checked the SkyQ box specs, and the 2tb ones are HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 compliant, whereas the 1tb and Mini are only HDMI 1.4b.

Depends whether they're able to firmware upgrade the HDMI to 2.0a on the 1tb's like they did on the 2tb's.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@paul1277wrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@dunwellwrote:

Yeah, just checked the SkyQ box specs, and the 2tb ones are HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 compliant, whereas the 1tb and Mini are only HDMI 1.4b.

Depends whether they're able to firmware upgrade the HDMI to 2.0a on the 1tb's like they did on the 2tb's.

I don't think Sky would update the boxes because there would be no reason to pay a lot more for the 2 T box. 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Took a photo of the replacement 65Q9F from Samsung showing Netflix black mirror HDR and shows the shadows and dul screen which Samsung tech say is within spec. Its just as bad with anything which has the black bars. The picture is no where as bright or sharp as the KS9500. If I saw this effect in a store I would not go near it yet Samsung says its normal!

Netflix Black MirrorNetflix Black Mirror

0 Likes
CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

@paul1277wrote:

Took a photo of the replacement 65Q9F from Samsung showing Netflix black mirror HDR and shows the shadows and dul screen which Samsung tech say is within spec. Its just as bad with anything which has the black bars. The picture is no where as bright or sharp as the KS9500. If I saw this effect in a store I would not go near it yet Samsung says its normal!

Netflix Black MirrorNetflix Black Mirror

Wow that looks terrible! Almost as if there's some kind of 'vignetting' going on. Surely that's a fault!?? 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

That is within spec according to Samsung technical department!

Would you ever buy a Samsung when they say that is normal.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277wrote:

I am so glad that I went for LG OLED as a replacemnet for KS9000, I was also told that picture is within spec when I reported problem on KS9000

Probably no Samsung TV in future unless they get their act togather

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@hdmiwrote:

@paul1277wrote:

I am so glad that I went for LG OLED as a replacemnet for KS9000, I was also told that picture is within spec when I reported problem on KS9000

Probably no Samsung TV in future unless they get their act togather

How do you find the oled?  Is it ok with HDR ? 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277wrote:

I have a nvidia shield that sends HDR to my TV so I know that works,  it won't send HLG through. Just hope sky do use hdr10 and not HLG,  because not sure how that will work. 

Broadcasts will clearly be HLG (not least because the HDR10 metadata can't be created until you have the entire programme file to parse and analyse to find the brightest frames to create the metadata, which is needed by the TV at the start). This will be fine for our TVs because it is an established fact that HLG over HDMI works.

"On Demand" downloaded content (ie not a satellite broadcast) can technically be either but I'd be surprised if Sky went to the trouble of needlessly converting HLG to HDR10.

0 Likes