Support

Open search

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

Navigator
My TV was HU55JS9000 supposed tip if the range with evolution box for future proofing which will never see the light of day.

Stumped up for Panasonic TX-65EX750B because I did not want to risk waiting and loosing 3D support. Have to say I’m delighted. Just need to put time aside to complete my claim against Retailer for miselling. Never will by a TV or anything else from Samsung again. A real shame because the JS9000 was actually a lovely TV. Just did not get what I was promised and I’m not prepared to couch up £2000+ every couple of years.
Navigator

@paul1111wrote:

@edindundeewrote:

Not sure if this is what you're asking, I have a new Panasonic 4k bluray player with the iPlayer app built in, it doesn't see the trial.


And this begs the question as to how come there are people saying they can get HLG over HDMI and I have not seen one device yet that can do it! We did have an Italian who accused me of giving miss information for say as such and he, her as gone very quite. I have checked and Iplayer does still have a HLG sample and the q9f does play it but the ks does not and there is no device out there that will play it on any 2015/2016 samsung TV's. Full Stop.


That Italian who you were so keen to shout down and try to have removed quite clearly stated that HLG worked over HDMI because of using the HLG demo's (which we also know work from the internal youtube app) on their Bluray player. Just because it wasn't BBC's iPlayer HLG. which again was a major issue to you and therefore their information was 'irrelevant' had tested the HLG content that was available via alternative apps and was able to say that HLG was working via HDMI.

 

As I said at the time, it was very beneficial and useful information. The fact that it worked with youtube HLG content and as far as I recall, the European HLG satellite tests via HDMI does seem to indicate that HLG via HDMI is NOT going to be much of an issue and again reiterates that the issue is predominantly with the iPlayer app itself and/or the Tizen software which is preventing the App from being updated to UHD AND HLG.

 

We have tested both VP9 and HEVC HLG Content and in both cases, it plays perfectly. If I had an external HLG enabled device that I can plug in the HLG demo's (both VP9 and HEVC) I have on USB and check to see if these work when played via HDMI, just like they work perfectly when connected directly into the OCB, then I would be happy to test whether HLG works with my KS8000. However I don't but the fact they work perfectly via USB and the fact that the 'Italian' tested the content they could via HDMI. leads me to believe that HLG shouldn't be an issue. If the external devices are capable of having the iPlayer HLG app, then I am almost certain these will send HLG and play HLG on a KS series TV. Much like I can play 4k iPlayer on an external device and get 4k content - something the in-built app can't.

 

As I have said countless times, the issue doesn't appear to be HLG and whether or not our TV's have been updated, the issue appears to be with the iPlayer App and/or OS of these TV's. The fact that the App cannot be updated to offer UHD or HLG rather than the fact the TV can't actually play UHD or HLG.

Hotshot

@BAMozzywrote:

@paul1111wrote:

@edindundeewrote:

Not sure if this is what you're asking, I have a new Panasonic 4k bluray player with the iPlayer app built in, it doesn't see the trial.


And this begs the question as to how come there are people saying they can get HLG over HDMI and I have not seen one device yet that can do it! We did have an Italian who accused me of giving miss information for say as such and he, her as gone very quite. I have checked and Iplayer does still have a HLG sample and the q9f does play it but the ks does not and there is no device out there that will play it on any 2015/2016 samsung TV's. Full Stop.


That Italian who you were so keen to shout down and try to have removed quite clearly stated that HLG worked over HDMI because of using the HLG demo's (which we also know work from the internal youtube app) on their Bluray player. Just because it wasn't BBC's iPlayer HLG. which again was a major issue to you and therefore their information was 'irrelevant' had tested the HLG content that was available via alternative apps and was able to say that HLG was working via HDMI.

 

As I said at the time, it was very beneficial and useful information. The fact that it worked with youtube HLG content and as far as I recall, the European HLG satellite tests via HDMI does seem to indicate that HLG via HDMI is NOT going to be much of an issue and again reiterates that the issue is predominantly with the iPlayer app itself and/or the Tizen software which is preventing the App from being updated to UHD AND HLG.

 

We have tested both VP9 and HEVC HLG Content and in both cases, it plays perfectly. If I had an external HLG enabled device that I can plug in the HLG demo's (both VP9 and HEVC) I have on USB and check to see if these work when played via HDMI, just like they work perfectly when connected directly into the OCB, then I would be happy to test whether HLG works with my KS8000. However I don't but the fact they work perfectly via USB and the fact that the 'Italian' tested the content they could via HDMI. leads me to believe that HLG shouldn't be an issue. If the external devices are capable of having the iPlayer HLG app, then I am almost certain these will send HLG and play HLG on a KS series TV. Much like I can play 4k iPlayer on an external device and get 4k content - something the in-built app can't.

 

As I have said countless times, the issue doesn't appear to be HLG and whether or not our TV's have been updated, the issue appears to be with the iPlayer App and/or OS of these TV's. The fact that the App cannot be updated to offer UHD or HLG rather than the fact the TV can't actually play UHD or HLG.


You are talking rubbish, and you know it.

This thread is called  iplayer hlg, not general HLG.  Can you tell me of any external devices that can send a HLG Iplayer signal to a KS TV. We know that youtube HLG does work. So I ask you can a KS series relcieve BBC Iplayer from any other source????? 

Also you sound very much like a Samsung employee!!!!!!!!

Navigator

@paul1111You are talking rubbish, and you know it.

This thread is called  iplayer hlg, not general HLG.  Can you tell me of any external devices that can send a HLG Iplayer signal to a KS TV. We know that youtube HLG does work. So I ask you can a KS series relcieve BBC Iplayer from any other source????? 

Also you sound very much like a Samsung employee!!!!!!!!


Yet again changing the goal posts to suit your own personal vendetta.

 

You stated that there is NO PROOF that HLG works via HDMI regardless of what source that HLG was coming from and even criticised the Italian for providing PROOF that HLG will work via HDMI

 

To quote your post

And this begs the question as to how come there are people saying they can get HLG over HDMI and I have not seen one device yet that can do it! We did have an Italian who accused me of giving miss information for say as such and he, her as gone very quite.

 

People are saying they can get HLG via HDMI because they have HLG enabled devices with access to HLG content via youtube which works when played through HDMI - therefore it PROVES that HLG works over HDMI. I assume that they also have Satellite boxes with access to HLG satellite broadcasts that are playing perfectly well over HDMI. Therefore they are totally right to say that with the limited HLG content they have access to, that it is working as expected via HDMI.

 

We have proved that the TV is capable of displaying HLG whether its HEVC or VP9 - something else that you were adamant that HEVC was the issue. How? By downloading HLG tests that are in both VP9 and HEVC and as HEVC is by far the most common format, this is good news and shows that HEVC HLG will work on our TV's.

 

All of this is indicative that HLG will work whether its via USB or HDMI.

 

Of course I can't say if there is an external iPlayer Device specifically with HLG iPlayer and whether or not that will specifically work because we don't have an external device with HLG iPlayer to verify that and eliminate any lingering doubt BUT the fact is that HLG will work via HDMI as well as USB so the likelihood of an external device with the 4k HLG iPlayer app working over HDMI is certainly 'high'.

 

The subject was specifically regarding Blue Planet HLG - no mention of iPlayer although in fairness, the only source of that was iPlayer.

 

Just because people don't bend to your vendetta or personal crusade does nt mean they work for Samsung. Making those allegations just makes you look even more ridiculous. When people are going out of their way to test these TV's with the HLG content they have access to via HDMI or USB in the hope of trying to establish IF HLG, regardless of whether its strictly iPlayer OR any other source - especially as Sky have announced they will be bringing HDR to its SkyQ platform, to prove that their is a possibility of accessing HLG via more than just the in-built Apps and therefore hope that the iPlayer App from an external device will work, you don't like that because it doesn't fit your personal crusade and therefore accuse them of being an employee of Samsung in some way to belittle their contribution or invalidate their findings.

 

Is it so you can keep making statements that HLG desn't work at all (apart from youtubes VP9 on the inbuilt app only) and thus continue to give misleading information? Is it because you want to somehow seem superior in your ignorance? I don't know but the fact is HLG works via HDMI - something you continue to question. Whether that means iPlayer will work categorically with EVERY HDMI connected external HLG enabled device, who knows. NOBODY KNOWS because NOBODY as access to these devices. However what we do know is that HLG itself will work via HDMI so there is a 'good' chance that an external HLG enabled Device will work.

 

Samsung's statement regarding iPlayer seemed to insinuate that the 4k HLG version of the App wouldn't work - not the HLG, not the 4k but the App. That to me also says that an external device that can run the 4k HLG app should work. We know the 4k version on external devices works and delivers 4k content - something the internal App doesn't, we know HLG works too as it has been tested and verified by using other HLG content so that proves that HLG will work over HDMI. Whilst I can't say 100% that an iPlayer app on a HLG enabled external device will definitely work, the indications are that it 'should' work. We may have to wait until we get some external 4k HLG devices - maybe the new 4k HDR Blurays will have the iPlayer app after all a lot do have smart apps these days.

 

Instead of shouting people down for not joining your personal crusade, criticising them for trying to see if HLG itself will work via HDMI - because if it didn't, there is NO way any external 4k HLG iPlayer or ANY OTHER external HLG source (like Sky, BT, Virgin etc if/when they decide to start broadcasting HLG) would work. Its POSITIVE news to know that HLG itself works via alternative options to the in-built app. Of course its not 'ideal' as we all would prefer not to have to spend money on a separate device when the TV and its internal apps SHOULD be capable of being updated to support HLG BUT as Samsung are NOT doing this, then we have to see what our alternatives are.

 

Going round saying that HLG doesn't work via HDMI is missleading! Accusing people of working for Samsung because they stand up against your BS and don't jump onboard your personal crusade is ridiculous and quie frankly incredibly childish too - grow up!!!

Highlighted
Navigator

..................We may have to wait until we get some external 4k HLG devices - maybe the new 4k HDR Blurays will have the iPlayer app after all a lot do have smart apps these days...................

 

@BAMozzy

 

ARE YOU DEAF??????

 

Have you read my posts about my 4k Panasonic Bluray player with iPlayer app NOT SHOWING HLG??????


@paul1111wrote:

@BAMozzywrote:

@paul1111wrote:

@edindundeewrote:

Not sure if this is what you're asking, I have a new Panasonic 4k bluray player with the iPlayer app built in, it doesn't see the trial.


And this begs the question as to how come there are people saying they can get HLG over HDMI and I have not seen one device yet that can do it! We did have an Italian who accused me of giving miss information for say as such and he, her as gone very quite. I have checked and Iplayer does still have a HLG sample and the q9f does play it but the ks does not and there is no device out there that will play it on any 2015/2016 samsung TV's. Full Stop.


That Italian who you were so keen to shout down and try to have removed quite clearly stated that HLG worked over HDMI because of using the HLG demo's (which we also know work from the internal youtube app) on their Bluray player. Just because it wasn't BBC's iPlayer HLG. which again was a major issue to you and therefore their information was 'irrelevant' had tested the HLG content that was available via alternative apps and was able to say that HLG was working via HDMI.

 

As I said at the time, it was very beneficial and useful information. The fact that it worked with youtube HLG content and as far as I recall, the European HLG satellite tests via HDMI does seem to indicate that HLG via HDMI is NOT going to be much of an issue and again reiterates that the issue is predominantly with the iPlayer app itself and/or the Tizen software which is preventing the App from being updated to UHD AND HLG.

 

We have tested both VP9 and HEVC HLG Content and in both cases, it plays perfectly. If I had an external HLG enabled device that I can plug in the HLG demo's (both VP9 and HEVC) I have on USB and check to see if these work when played via HDMI, just like they work perfectly when connected directly into the OCB, then I would be happy to test whether HLG works with my KS8000. However I don't but the fact they work perfectly via USB and the fact that the 'Italian' tested the content they could via HDMI. leads me to believe that HLG shouldn't be an issue. If the external devices are capable of having the iPlayer HLG app, then I am almost certain these will send HLG and play HLG on a KS series TV. Much like I can play 4k iPlayer on an external device and get 4k content - something the in-built app can't.

 

As I have said countless times, the issue doesn't appear to be HLG and whether or not our TV's have been updated, the issue appears to be with the iPlayer App and/or OS of these TV's. The fact that the App cannot be updated to offer UHD or HLG rather than the fact the TV can't actually play UHD or HLG.


You are talking rubbish, and you know it.

This thread is called  iplayer hlg, not general HLG.  Can you tell me of any external devices that can send a HLG Iplayer signal to a KS TV. We know that youtube HLG does work. So I ask you can a KS series relcieve BBC Iplayer from any other source????? 

Also you sound very much like a Samsung employee!!!!!!!!


The issue is twofold (and at the real risk of repeating myself here) -

 

1. Samsung have to add DVB-DASH support.

2. The iPlayer app has to be 'enabled' at BBC's end so that the TV is updated to the version of iPlayer that supports HLG - the app is simply a web wrapper like most Smart Apps.

 

If we don't get point 1, we'll never get point 2 because the TV won't meet the BBC's criteria (and 'was never offered for the BBC to test' by Samsung).

 

There is enough evidence that the TV is able to play certain types of HLG encoded software, just not that which requires the DVB-DASH codec.

Black Belt 

@edindundeewrote:

..................We may have to wait until we get some external 4k HLG devices - maybe the new 4k HDR Blurays will have the iPlayer app after all a lot do have smart apps thBAMozzy s...................

 

@BAMozzy

 

ARE YOU DEAF??????

 

Have you read my posts about my 4k Panasonic Bluray player with iPlayer app NOT SHOWING HLG??????


@BAMozzy Did you not check about the pana before claiming it would do bbc iplayer HLG.  Seems you are wrong!  I asked what other external appliances would also play bbc iplayer which is what this thread is about and as far as I know there are none. The samples which are .ts will not play on my TV through USB and if you check on ratings reviews it actually says the ks can not play ts files.  So after everything you said 10 times over in something of a rant do you agree that the ks can not play bbc iplayer HLG from any source?  Do you also agree that there is no reason apart from being difficult why Samsung will not enable it on the ks? Samsung have not said the ks is unable to receive but it us difficult,  which to me is a big let down. I do agree that the TV will play HLG from on board YouTube,  but as I have said asked you what other devices can send a HLG signal to the TV and the TV will recognize it? 

Black Belt 

@edindundeewrote:

..................We may have to wait until we get some external 4k HLG devices - maybe the new 4k HDR Blurays will have the iPlayer app after all a lot do have smart apps thBAMozzy s...................

 

@BAMozzy

 

ARE YOU DEAF??????

 

Have you read my posts about my 4k Panasonic Bluray player with iPlayer app NOT SHOWING HLG??????


I think @BAMozzy is on something of a crusade.  See if he her can say how you can watch bbc iplayer from any other source.  If he her can not then I don't think he her is being very helpful. 

Voyager

Well we now know that HDR on SkyQ will be switched on this year. For owners of 2016 KS televisions this is the critical moment.

 

I've been following this thread with great interest. I love my KS8000 so much that the iPlayer fiasco wasn't enough for me to initiate refund requests etc. I was highly irritated by it of course.

 

If SkyQ HDR broadcasts work with this television over HDMI then I will be delighted. Not too long to wait to find out hopefully.

Black Belt 

@dunwellwrote:

Well we now know that HDR on SkyQ will be switched on this year. For owners of 2016 KS televisions this is the critical moment.

 

I've been following this thread with great interest. I love my KS8000 so much that the iPlayer fiasco wasn't enough for me to initiate refund requests etc. I was highly irritated by it of course.

 

If SkyQ HDR broadcasts work with this television over HDMI then I will be delighted. Not too long to wait to find out hopefully.


I have a nvidia shield that sends HDR to my TV so I know that works,  it won't send HLG through. Just hope sky do use hdr10 and not HLG,  because not sure how that will work. 

Top Liked Authors