Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 27-02-2018 08:43 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
disrember
Explorer
Options

<<That won't be hard! They only have ONE 4k channel (buried in a Red Button stream)!>>

There is no channel, they have an on demand option, meaning that can release the stream used back to be used for 3/4 HD channels.  

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@disremberwrote:

<<That won't be hard! They only have ONE 4k channel (buried in a Red Button stream)!>>

There is no channel, they have an on demand option, meaning that can release the stream used back to be used for 3/4 HD channels.  

Thats why I got rid of sky and just use freeview and Netflix,  saved loads. 

0 Likes
CJH26
Navigator
Options

@paul1277wrote:

@CJH26wrote:

Before starting a Section 75 claim against John Lewis I wanted to try to email the CEO of Samsung UK but the contact the CEO page on Samsung's website does not work, It just fails to send.

I have checked the usual places and cant find a email address, I know you cant post it here but if anyone knows where it can be found it would be appreciated.

Looks like they don't want any more emails.  It was on their support page. Samsung are not your retailer so they will refer you to your retailer over misrepresentation.  They should help if there is a fault but they will say it was the retailer that sold you the TV so under the regs it is the retailers responsibility. Jl seem to be just wasting time and looks like they do not know what to do. The section 75 claim should refocus their minds as the credit card supplier will contact jl as part of your claim. That is why it is quite powerful. 

I suppose you are right, I am going to contact my bank to get this section 75 claim started.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@disremberwrote:

Yes Sky Q's UHD is predominantly on demand, however they have 2 UHD transponders which are ocassionally used for live broadcasts (mostly premier league/F1 and  a few other shows such as Britannia lately) Though for anything other than sport the downloads nearly always available beforehand anyway. Unlikely any broadcaster will have a dedicated UHD channel in the near future.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@disremberwrote:

There is a 4k "channel", but as I said, it's buried in a Red Button stream, and last year it was used for 4k Formula One. And of course by doing it in such a ridiculous user-hostile way, you can't schedule 4k recordings, set series links, browse the 4k schedule, etc.

Only Sky would do it that way and get away with it.

0 Likes
disrember
Explorer
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@disremberwrote:

There is a 4k "channel", but as I said, it's buried in a Red Button stream, and last year it was used for 4k Formula One. And of course by doing it in such a ridiculous user-hostile way, you can't schedule 4k recordings, set series links, browse the 4k schedule, etc.

Yes you can record them.  It was used for FA cup, formula one as well.

It was also congratulated by the BBC for the cost effective way of using bandwidth

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@ukpeteywrote:

@paul1277wrote:

@Jay108wrote:

@ukpeteywrote:

IIRC the quality was excellent, certainly 4K I’d say. HDR though? No idea. At the time I thought it must be, now I have my doubts that it was, since I’m not sure it’s technically possible with this TV.

Most importantly it was the best picture I’ve ever seen on the iPlayer, and so it’s a keeper, since it may be the only way I’ll get 4K iPlayer on the TV. 

This is good to know.  It is a shame that we can not confirm for sure re HLG

You can confirm because if the TV recognizes HLG source it will switch to HDR mode which means the backlight goes to max,  and so does the contrast.  If nothing happens then sorry but no HLG. 

I will check later

Did you get a chance to check  if  ks7000  switches to HDR mode?
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@disremberwrote:

@mrticklewrote:

@disremberwrote:

Yes you can record them.  It was used for FA cup, formula one as well.

I sit corrected. Which channel number is it? How do you schedule a recording for something which will be on the 4K stream next Sunday at 2pm? How do you browser the Schedule in the EPG?

0 Likes
disrember
Explorer
Options

you go the home button > sports > ultra hd > fill ya boots

0 Likes
ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

@Jay108wrote:

@ukpeteywrote:

@paul1277wrote:

@Jay108wrote:

@ukpeteywrote:

IIRC the quality was excellent, certainly 4K I’d say. HDR though? No idea. At the time I thought it must be, now I have my doubts that it was, since I’m not sure it’s technically possible with this TV.

Most importantly it was the best picture I’ve ever seen on the iPlayer, and so it’s a keeper, since it may be the only way I’ll get 4K iPlayer on the TV. 

This is good to know.  It is a shame that we can not confirm for sure re HLG

You can confirm because if the TV recognizes HLG source it will switch to HDR mode which means the backlight goes to max,  and so does the contrast.  If nothing happens then sorry but no HLG. 

I will check later

Did you get a chance to check  if  ks7000  switches to HDR mode?

Oops. Nope, sorry I completely forgot. Had a lot on. I’ll do it first chance I get, scouts honour! 

0 Likes