Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 26-02-2018 02:45 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@paul1277wrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

The Blue Planet Demo is still on iPlayer, so there is content that is perfectly able to be tested.

Hi I have tried to find the hlg demos on iplayer with no luck using a q9f which is supposed to be enabled.

If the TV is supported by the BBC, it is in the Settings -> Beta menu.

Planet Earth 2 Trial menu.jpg

If you don't see that, start complaining to Samsung NOW, don't bother waiting for the next HLG series to be add to iPlayer because you will NOT see it appear.

Planet Earth 2 Trial start screen.jpg

@mrticklewrote:

@paul1277wrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

The Blue Planet Demo is still on iPlayer, so there is content that is perfectly able to be tested.

Hi I have tried to find the hlg demos on iplayer with no luck using a q9f which is supposed to be enabled.

If the TV is supported by the BBC, it is in the Settings -> Beta menu.

Planet Earth 2 Trial menu.jpg

If you don't see that, start complaining to Samsung NOW, don't bother waiting for the next HLG series to be add to iPlayer because you will NOT see it appear.

Planet Earth 2 Trial start screen.jpg

Looked a bit harder and found it and it does play on the q9f in HLG. 

0 Likes
CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@CaptnSpauldingwrote:

I’m also sure there was a version of Roku on the list too (which, AFAIK there was only one list which was the HLG supported device list) because I was thinking of buying one knowing the TV would never support it in time (or ever now)

I kept the list so I can check. The last version I kept was 9th Dec. I have posted it before.

It contains

Roku2017

3810EU

HTH

I knew it was on there. Didn’t see anything noted about it not supporting HLG either unless it was added at a later date, I only saw it stating similar about Sky Q like you did.

0 Likes
CJH26
Navigator
Options

I heard back from John Lewis today after my last email where I kindly but firmly reminded them that my contract was with them and that whatever talks they are having with Samsung should have no impact on the time it takes to sort it out for their customers.

The response is that due to the complexities involved it will take some time for a resolution and if I wish to pursue a claim with my credit card that I am within my rights to do so.

Not the response or customer service I would have expected from John Lewis.

I suppose I should wait and see what this resolution will be and if it’s not satisfactory then pursue the claim, I guess I will email something to that effect back and possibly mention how accommodating Richer sounds have been in comparison.

edindundee
Pioneer
Options

I recently bought a Panasonic 4k Blu-ray player with apps, was hoping I would be able to see the uhd trial via its iPlayer app but it's not to be. 

(The UHD Blu Ray of Blue Planet 2 is jaw dropping to watch.)

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options
Get ready to wait a very long time. There is no "resolution" to this coming from Samsung. The wording of that response suggests that they are waiting on Samsung.

We are still waiting for official word on this board what Forbes posted the other day regarding Samsung saying that KS series will never receive 4k iplayer.
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CaptnSpauldingwrote:

@mrticklewrote:

@CaptnSpauldingwrote:

I’m also sure there was a version of Roku on the list too (which, AFAIK there was only one list which was the HLG supported device list) because I was thinking of buying one knowing the TV would never support it in time (or ever now)

I kept the list so I can check. The last version I kept was 9th Dec. I have posted it before.

It contains

Roku2017

3810EU

HTH

I knew it was on there. Didn’t see anything noted about it not supporting HLG either unless it was added at a later date, I only saw it stating similar about Sky Q like you did.

Its not that complex.  They advertised on their website the smart connect dongle and now they can not give it you which is misrepresentation clear.  Point that out to them and start the section 75, because I think they are calling your bluff.  A section 75 will not cost you anything apart from  a bit of time. 

ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

@CaptnSpauldingwrote:

There was, and I bought one solely because my 2016 KS7000 couldn’t/can’t/won’t play ball! The Roku streaming stick + was defo on the BBC HlG iPlayer supported list

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@ukpeteywrote:

@CaptnSpauldingwrote:

There was, and I bought one solely because my 2016 KS7000 couldn’t/can’t/won’t play ball! The Roku streaming stick + was defo on the BBC HlG iPlayer supported list

Are you able to confirm if you were able to watch BBC HLG iPlayer with this supported Roku on your KS7000 TV?  

0 Likes
ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

It played via the stick, although whether the Tv displayed it in HLG is anyone’s guess! 

Is this another Samsung ‘thing’ that will become obsolete and unsupported before it’s really finished?:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/phones-will-tell-you-if-theres-a-burglar-ntd5q9v53?shareToken=28d...

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@ukpeteywrote:

It played via the stick, although whether the Tv displayed it in HLG is anyone’s guess! 

Is this another Samsung ‘thing’ that will become obsolete and unsupported before it’s really finished?:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/phones-will-tell-you-if-theres-a-burglar-ntd5q9v53?shareToken=28d...

I guess its difficult to confirm.  But was the quality better than HD version of Blue Planet II?  could be that the picture quality through ROKU is 4K but not HDR?  

0 Likes