Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 25-02-2018 10:03 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

@mrticklewrote: 

HDR10+ officially definitely needs HDMI2.1 . They were talking about trying to find ways to get it to work over HDMI2.0a/b , but that's not a given, we still don't know yet - and why for our TVs said (when they made their HDR10+ promise) it was to be be internal apps only. Hope that clears up the confusion :smiling-face:

That's actually not true. At no point did Samsung say that HDR10+ would be restricted to the internal apps. Some speculated that it would, based on misconceptions, but that was just incorrect speculation.

We now know, based on statements from Panasonic, and an actual demonstration by Samsung, as well as from insider 2themax on the blu-ray.com forum, that HDMI 2.0 is all that is needed.

Yes sorry I amalgamated the Samsung announcement with the later discussions in my head. We still can't test with real content yet though. I'm staggered that after 18 months of HDR10Plus being announced there is still not one test clip we the public can download, put on a USB stick and try with different devices and HDMI connections. Not ONE!

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options
Sixedup
Journeyman
Options

@CaptnSpauldingwrote:

Well, here we go guys. Official confirmation from Samsung that they will never support HLG on iPlayer - 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/02/23/samsung-confirms-no-bbc-iplayer-hdr-support-for-i...

Well, if true then that shows a spectacular disconnect from the rest of the industry.

DVB-DASH was standardised back in 2014, and at the time IBC and NAB (the two trade fairs) were full of the convergence of IP and broadcast services via various standards initiatives. The BBC's R&D efforts in this space have all been well publicised, and the early BBC UHD technology trials even used DVB-DASH to run the Brazil World Cup to selected DTT transmitters in the UK in 2014. It's not as though someone suddenly sprang this on Samsung.

Bottom line for me: Samsung are clearly not prepared to rectify whatever the problem is (they've already got our money) and so we'll never see 4K or HDR capable iplayer on these TVs. They clearly don't believe any advserse publicity from this will materially affect them, and are now focused on selling their 2018 TV's to anyone they can. That's their choice, and mine will be to never buy from or recommend Samsung again in the future. Their hardware may be good, but their software and respect for their customers is not.

Now I need to work out how to attach the right smart devices to my KS to get the content I want. 

cattv1
Explorer
Options

Please excuse my ignorance.

If I was to purchase a fully Iplayer 4K compatible Amazon or Roku stick in the future  once the BBC starts regular 4K Iplayer transmissions will it work and overcome the deficiencies on my J series tv.

Thanks

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

At present the Roku stick+ does play 4k iplayer on the js TV however it is NOT able to display the video in HLG as the Roku didn't have the appropriate upgrade (perhaps it never will), I don't know if in the future the Roku 4k iplayer gets HLG how it might affect the JS, perhaps it might stop it from playing 4k iplayer completely (who knows?)  I tried the test on my JS8000 with the Roku and I was not impressed at all, as I have posted previously, the supposed 4k iplayer picture of Blue Planet II didn't look any sharper when compared to the HD 1080p image as was broadcast over the air (this might be because of the excellent upscaling of the HD image that the JS does itself). I love the JS8000 and shall keep it for as long as possible, and when it needs replacing I'll be replacing it with anything but a Samsung due to their obvious contempt for their customers.

cattv1
Explorer
Options

Thanks Chris

I agree I will never purchase another Samsung tv.

I almost purchased a Sony but was advised  by Richer Sounds that the Sony Android system had lots of issues at that time. 

We can only make a  judgement  at the time of purchace and hope that manufacturers will support their products.

Samsung are treating tvs just like their mobiles,bring out a new model and forget about updating last years products.

M

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@crashcriswrote:

At present the Roku stick+ does play 4k iplayer on the js TV however it is NOT able to display the video in HLG as the Roku didn't have the appropriate upgrade (perhaps it never will), I don't know if in the future the Roku 4k iplayer gets HLG how it might affect the JS, perhaps it might stop it from playing 4k iplayer completely (who knows?)  I tried the test on my JS8000 with the Roku and I was not impressed at all, as I have posted previously, the supposed 4k iplayer picture of Blue Planet II didn't look any sharper when compared to the HD 1080p image as was broadcast over the air (this might be because of the excellent upscaling of the HD image that the JS does itself). I love the JS8000 and shall keep it for as long as possible, and when it needs replacing I'll be replacing it with anything but a Samsung due to their obvious contempt for their customers.

I am sure a version of Roku was on the list of supported devices on BBC iplayer HLG.  

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jay108wrote:

@crashcriswrote:

I am sure a version of Roku was on the list of supported devices on BBC iplayer HLG.  

I do remember the roku was not on the supported group for IPLAYER HLG. 

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@crashcriswrote:

0 Likes
CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

I’m also sure there was a version of Roku on the list too (which, AFAIK there was only one list which was the HLG supported device list) because I was thinking of buying one knowing the TV would never support it in time (or ever now)

0 Likes