Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 23-02-2018 03:45 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@crashcriswrote:

IF it's NOT poss to activate the HLG (I'm still not convinced), then at least enable 4k UHD iplayer on all the Samsung smart 4k UHD TVs such as the JS and KS ranges.

It is possible but hard. That is why the ks will not get it.  Same reason I think with 4k. I think if you want bbc IPLAYER HLG and 4 k buy a 2017 model or other make. 

0 Likes
CJH26
Navigator
Options

@paul1277wrote:

@CJH26wrote:
While that's true mainly because they have no incentive, They will be looking for the cheapest way out of this KS mess and that would be a big inventive. In saying all that even if it did happen I don't imagine it could be an out for them as the process seems to involve a smartphone (at least initially) where as the extend USB would have been completely stand-alone

I think this may be the smart closed beta they have been going on about.  There is no mention its for the 2016 or 2017 sets. Don't let them use it as an excuse as we know its no good for ks set's. 

Sorry perhaps I never made it clear, No this is from a brand new 2018 TV they put up on the USA website, Model NU8000

My thoughts were they are going to be looking at the cheapest way out of the misselling KS claims they have and they may invest the time in porting it back to the KS series in the hopes of getting out.

That may be why John Lewis are taking their time.

Im trying to decide if I should message John Lewis again, Last response was on Monday and they just said they are still in talks with Samsung...

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CJH26wrote:

@paul1277wrote:

@CJH26wrote:
While that's true mainly because they have no incentive, They will be looking for the cheapest way out of this KS mess and that would be a big inventive. In saying all that even if it did happen I don't imagine it could be an out for them as the process seems to involve a smartphone (at least initially) where as the extend USB would have been completely stand-alone

I think this may be the smart closed beta they have been going on about.  There is no mention its for the 2016 or 2017 sets. Don't let them use it as an excuse as we know its no good for ks set's. 

Sorry perhaps I never made it clear, No this is from a brand new 2018 TV they put up on the USA website, Model NU8000

My thoughts were they are going to be looking at the cheapest way out of the misselling KS claims they have and they may invest the time in porting it back to the KS series in the hopes of getting out.

Im trying to decide if I should message John Lewis again, Last response was on Monday and they just said they are still in talks with Samsung...

If they could have supplied it I think they would have.  As to this so called beta has Samsung actually said its going to be for the ks?  And what actually are they testing?  There has been no info on these forums and I think its just another time wasting tactic.  The smart connect was  promised back in 2016 it is now 2018. I think people have been reasonable waiting till now to bring this issue up and Samsung have actually put it in writing that there will be no smart dongle supplied full stop.  Just point this out to you retailers and say that you patience has worn out. 

CJH26
Navigator
Options

@paul1277wrote:

@CJH26wrote:

@paul1277wrote:

@CJH26wrote:

If they could have supplied it I think they would have.  As to this so called beta has Samsung actually said its going to be for the ks?  And what actually are they testing?  There has been no info on these forums and I think its just another time wasting tactic.  The smart connect was  promised back in 2016 it is now 2018. I think people have been reasonable waiting till now to bring this issue up and Samsung have actually put it in writing that there will be no smart dongle supplied full stop.  Just point this out to you retailers and say that you patience has worn out. 

Its a new method for the 2018 models, its a TV app combined with your smartphone. So there is no smart connect but it allows you to control your smartthings devices via the TV. You can find the details on here: https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/49--class-nu8000-smart-4k-uhd-tv-...

My thoughts on the delay tactics is they may be considering bringing it to the 2016 models in the hopes of trying to clamp down on the missselling claims.

Either way I think I will just shoot John Lewis another message to remind them that my contact is with them and that I would like it sorted now, They can then sort the rest out with Samsung on their own time.

Jep_uk
Pioneer
Options

@CJH26wrote:

@paul1277wrote:

@CJH26wrote:

@paul1277wrote:

@CJH26wrote:

Its a new method for the 2018 models, its a TV app combined with your smartphone. So there is no smart connect but it allows you to control your smartthings devices via the TV. You can find the details on here: https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/49--class-nu8000-smart-4k-uhd-tv-...

My thoughts on the delay tactics is they may be considering bringing it to the 2016 models in the hopes of trying to clamp down on the missselling claims.

Either way I think I will just shoot John Lewis another message to remind them that my contact is with them and that I would like it sorted now, They can then sort the rest out with Samsung on their own time.

If they do somehow manage to implement this method on the ks as an alternative its still not good enough nor is it what they advertised. If they say this is the solution you simply reply with no it wont work for me, I dont have a mobile phone as a phone was not required for the original feature. 

Anyone changed for an LG 55SJ850v? As if i do change it would be for this or the sony xe8500 or 9000 range due to prices. 

CJH26
Navigator
Options

Yes that was my thoughts, you never know some people still own flip phones!

I have sent JL another message, this time being a bit more firm but fair.

I don’t know anything of the LG’s but I personally am eyeing the new Sony XF90 

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

Also sent another email to Currys explaining I’ve been very patient so far as it’s been going on since the beginning of January and it’s now nearly March therefore given them a date of a week today to come up with a satisfactory resolution or I’ll start a section 75.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CJH26wrote:

Yes that was my thoughts, you never know some people still own flip phones!

I have sent JL another message, this time being a bit more firm but fair.

I don’t know anything of the LG’s but I personally am eyeing the new Sony XF90 

I have been looking at the Sony xf90 but I can't find anywhere selling them.  I emailed richer sounds who said then did not know when they would get any in.  Their price for the 65 is£2299 when they do get some.  Might wait to see the 2018 models. 

Jep_uk
Pioneer
Options

Isnt the xf the 2018 model? 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jep_ukwrote:

Isnt the xf the 2018 model? 

Pretty sure its the 2017 when I read the reviews . May be wrong.