Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 23-02-2018 01:01 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
CJH26
Navigator
Options
While that's true mainly because they have no incentive, They will be looking for the cheapest way out of this KS mess and that would be a big inventive. In saying all that even if it did happen I don't imagine it could be an out for them as the process seems to involve a smartphone (at least initially) where as the extend USB would have been completely stand-alone
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CJH26wrote:
While that's true mainly because they have no incentive, They will be looking for the cheapest way out of this KS mess and that would be a big inventive. In saying all that even if it did happen I don't imagine it could be an out for them as the process seems to involve a smartphone (at least initially) where as the extend USB would have been completely stand-alone

I think this may be the smart closed beta they have been going on about.  There is no mention its for the 2016 or 2017 sets. Don't let them use it as an excuse as we know its no good for ks set's. 

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

Well, here we go guys. Official confirmation from Samsung that they will never support HLG on iPlayer - 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/02/23/samsung-confirms-no-bbc-iplayer-hdr-support-for-i...

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@CaptnSpauldingwrote:

Well, here we go guys. Official confirmation from Samsung that they will never support HLG on iPlayer - 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/02/23/samsung-confirms-no-bbc-iplayer-hdr-support-for-i...

Thanks for the link.

So much for Samsung actually telling us, here. We had to hear it via a third party freelance journalist.

"apparently too complicated to be added", is NOT in any way "a technical explanation for why".

amokuk
Voyager
Options
Just WOW. Not only do we get to hear this second hand the reason is beyond the pale. Lets be clear about what samsung are and are not saying there. Too complicated doesn't mean it cant be done, it mean they will not spend the time or resource doing it. If ever there was a ***** you statement from a global corporation there it is. A disgrace.

I'm currently waiting for a reply to my letter of intent to samsung. They have not acknowledged it for nearly a week now after responding to me daily previously. Fully intend to go to small claims now don't even care if i lose.
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@CaptnSpauldingwrote:

Thanks for the link.

So much for Samsung actually telling us, here. We had to hear it via a third party freelance journalist.

"apparently too complicated to be added", is NOT in any way "a technical explanation for why".

Unbelieveable.  Can we request a refund from Samsung on this grounds? 

amokuk
Voyager
Options

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

Perhaps samsung could explain why it already supports mpeg-dash but cant support it anymore?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Adaptive_Streaming_over_HTTP#Implementations

MPEG-DASH is available natively on Android through the ExoPlayer, on Samsung Smart TVs 2012+, LG Smart TV 2012+, Sony TV 2012+, Philips NetTV 4.1+, Panasonic Viera 2013+ and Chromecast.[14] YouTube as well as Netflix already support MPEG-DASH, and different MPEG-DASH players are available.

https://bitmovin.com/mpeg-dash-browser-support-device-compatibility/

Samsung Smart TV 2012+  tick_green_sm2tick_green_sm2

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jay108wrote:

@mrticklewrote:

@CaptnSpauldingwrote:

Thanks for the link.

Unbelieveable.  Can we request a refund from Samsung on this grounds? 

Unfortunately Samsung are not the retailer so no you can sue them,  but does not stop your from bombarding there face book twitter and AV Forums and show the world what they are really like.  Also I had success by emailing the Samsung CEO direct which is on their support page.  What shocks me is they must have known of this limitation when they said in trusted reviews back in December 2016 that they would be supporting HLG.  Bit like HDR10+ and the smart connect. I think after this Samsung can never be trusted ever again,  for what was and still is over priced cheap LCD TVs.  The Q9F replacement was rubbish with HDR dul blooming and banding and when I sent Samsung support pictures showing how bad it was they said it was within specifications. I nearly hit the roof until I read further and they said they did not feel another replacement would please me so they offered a full refund which I accepted and now just waiting for them to collect the TV. 

A bad experience with Samsung and it took a while but they are giving a refund.  This is only I think because a contacted the uk CEO office after a nightmare using their support. Had something like 50 emails! 

Think I now will see what the 2018 hdmi 2.1 models look like. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@amokukwrote:
Just WOW. Not only do we get to hear this second hand the reason is beyond the pale. Lets be clear about what samsung are and are not saying there. Too complicated doesn't mean it cant be done, it mean they will not spend the time or resource doing it. If ever there was a ***** you statement from a global corporation there it is. A disgrace.

I'm currently waiting for a reply to my letter of intent to samsung. They have not acknowledged it for nearly a week now after responding to me daily previously. Fully intend to go to small claims now don't even care if i lose.

Remember you can only take the retailers to court. It would be great if you could also take the manufacturer  but unfortunately under consumer law you can't. 

0 Likes