Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 20-02-2018 06:15 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:
Just an update for those wondering about HDR10+.

As I mentioned previously, I'm from Canada, and I am only here to lend support to your cause of getting iPlayer HLG, but since HDR10+ is being discussed, here some info.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau a few weeks ago and I've been discussing this with Samsung through the BBB. Initially, the person who was responding to me was some rep from the office of the President, but they forwarded my inquiry to the engineering department. Today, I finally got this response:

"Please be advised that Samsung is working on the firmware update for HDR10+ and our Samsung team will respond to individual customer with a message by the month of May."

I asked a couple of follow up questions to get a firm guarantee that HDR10+ will be added to the 2016 models and an estimate of when we might get it, as well as for confirmation of HDR10+ over HDMI, so we will see what they say. But if that is to be believed, it looks like we may get it by May.

This HDR10+ bit confusing in that I read it needed HDMI 2.1, then there were articles saying it would work with HDMI 2.0b with an update, the problem I think is the 2016 models are HDMI 2.0a which does not have the band width for HDR10+. I may be wrong that's why I am asking the question.

Paul

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

As I mentioned previously, I'm from Canada, and I am only here to lend support to your cause of getting iPlayer HLG, but since HDR10+ is being discussed, here some info.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau a few weeks ago and I've been discussing this with Samsung through the BBB. Initially, the person who was responding to me was some rep from the office of the President, but they forwarded my inquiry to the engineering department. Today, I finally got this response:

"Please be advised that Samsung is working on the firmware update for HDR10+ and our Samsung team will respond to individual customer with a message by the month of May."

I asked a couple of follow up questions to get a firm guarantee that HDR10+ will be added to the 2016 models and an estimate of when we might get it, as well as for confirmation of HDR10+ over HDMI, so we will see what they say. But if that is to be believed, it looks like we may get it by May.

This HDR10+ bit confusing in that I read it needed HDMI 2.1, then there were articles saying it would work with HDMI 2.0b with an update, the problem I think is the 2016 models are HDMI 2.0a which does not have the band width for HDR10+. I may be wrong that's why I am asking the question.

Paul

2016 models are HDMI 2.0b after a firmware update sometime in the 2nd half of 2017. Confirmed by testing HLG over HDMI and getting the TV's HDR mode to kick in automatically. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

Paul

2016 models are HDMI 2.0b after a firmware update sometime in the 2nd half of 2017. Confirmed by testing HLG over HDMI and getting the TV's HDR mode to kick in automatically. 

I thought the difference between HDMI 2.0a and 2.0b was hardware not software and you could not update one to the other,  just like you will not be able to update HDMI 2.0b to 2.1 with a software update. They are different chipsets.

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@Ronson808Although the refund thread is probably best, although the user who called it an exploit is a bit over the top, being sold what was promised is what we should all expect.

It is not an 'exploit' in itself if people actually bought the TV with SmartThings as one of the factors in their decision or were even aware of it. However, its an exploit with those that couldn't care less or wasn't even aware of it, then using the situation of its cancellation to their advantage because they unhappy with 'iPlayer' support.

If Samsung suddenly turn around and were to update iPlayer for example, the situation with SmartThings wouldn't be a concern at all for the majority here. They wouldn't be pursuing a miss-selling claim to get their money back or a replacement for a TV that has HLG iPlayer support. Therefore they are 'exploiting' the situation over the SmartThings cancellation to get a TV with iPlayer HLG and NOT to get a TV that offers the same concept as SmartThings was offering.

Also, if Samsung were to change their minds and make a SmartThings USB as promised, those who were 'using' that as the reason to go for miss-selling, wouldn't be appeased by Samsung sending them a SmartThings USB and they don't really care about the SmartThings feature at all. Point is, that very few people even realised that Samsung had offered this and most only became aware of it in the past month or two.  The fact that Samsung did cancel it has enabled owners to exploit that fact to get iPlayer HLG not to get a TV that offers the 'SmartThings' feature.

Its NOT an exploit if you bought your TV with SmartThings as a reason and then disappointed at its cancellation. Then it is a fair point to use that as a 'miss-selling' issue and you would expect that if its important, the person would then buy a TV that offers this feature. But those that didn't even know about it, couldn't care less about it but still use it to exploit the miss-selling law to get a TV with iPlayer HLG are 'exploiting' this. Like I said, if Samsung were to address the HLG issue, then they wouldn't care less about the SmartThings...

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

Paul

I thought the difference between HDMI 2.0a and 2.0b was hardware not software and you could not update one to the other,  just like you will not be able to update HDMI 2.0b to 2.1 with a software update. They are different chipsets.

Nope, just a software update. Most, maybe even all, 2016 TVs are now HDMI 2.0b. Certainly the ones from Samsung, LG, Vizio, and Sony.

amokuk
Voyager
Options

Terrific information thank you. Sadly samsung have a track record of saying one thing and not doing it. They also have a track record of enabling certain feature in only specitic regions. 

Also for me frankly may is way to long to wait for a company that has resolutely refused to explain what they are doing and why they are not doing things. Im currently looking at my options with regards to samsung.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@BAMozzywrote:

@Ronson808Although the refund thread is probably best, although the user who called it an exploit is a bit over the top, being sold what was promised is what we should all expect.

It is not an 'exploit' in itself if people actually bought the TV with SmartThings as one of the factors in their decision or were even aware of it. However, its an exploit with those that couldn't care less or wasn't even aware of it, then using the situation of its cancellation to their advantage because they unhappy with 'iPlayer' support.

If Samsung suddenly turn around and were to update iPlayer for example, the situation with SmartThings wouldn't be a concern at all for the majority here. They wouldn't be pursuing a miss-selling claim to get their money back or a replacement for a TV that has HLG iPlayer support. Therefore they are 'exploiting' the situation over the SmartThings cancellation to get a TV with iPlayer HLG and NOT to get a TV that offers the same concept as SmartThings was offering.

Also, if Samsung were to change their minds and make a SmartThings USB as promised, those who were 'using' that as the reason to go for miss-selling, wouldn't be appeased by Samsung sending them a SmartThings USB and they don't really care about the SmartThings feature at all. Point is, that very few people even realised that Samsung had offered this and most only became aware of it in the past month or two.  The fact that Samsung did cancel it has enabled owners to exploit that fact to get iPlayer HLG not to get a TV that offers the 'SmartThings' feature.

Its NOT an exploit if you bought your TV with SmartThings as a reason and then disappointed at its cancellation. Then it is a fair point to use that as a 'miss-selling' issue and you would expect that if its important, the person would then buy a TV that offers this feature. But those that didn't even know about it, couldn't care less about it but still use it to exploit the miss-selling law to get a TV with iPlayer HLG are 'exploiting' this. Like I said, if Samsung were to address the HLG issue, then they wouldn't care less about the SmartThings...

Why not use it as a way to try to get Samsung to honour their promises. We would not have this thread had Samsung kept their promise, so yes we should use every tool to either get what we were promised or get a refund and if you have a problem with that then I suggest you leave this forum.

Paul

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@amokukwrote:

Terrific information thank you. Sadly samsung have a track record of saying one thing and not doing it. They also have a track record of enabling certain feature in only specitic regions. 

Also for me frankly may is way to long to wait for a company that has resolutely refused to explain what they are doing and why they are not doing things. Im currently looking at my options with regards to samsung.

I agree, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they are lying again.

However, this conversation happened through the Better Business Bureau, and even if Samsung are only telling me this so that I accept their answer and drop this case, this will remain in BBB's records. So if it ends up being a lie, I will file a new complaint and mention the current case#. Wouldn't be a good look for them if they lied in a press release, as well as in a conversation intermediated by a 3rd party.

Ronson808
Pioneer
Options
That's a wall of text 🙂 bottom line, the retailers and Samsung made promises and it's odd to hear it being called an exploit to expect things promised.

But I'll not go any further as it's requiring a lot of assumptions on your part as to what people think, which is not usually a good sign!

I'll be pushing for this no matter what happens with iPlayer...
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Ronson808wrote:
That's a wall of text 🙂 bottom line, the retailers and Samsung made promises and it's odd to hear it being called an exploit to expect things promised.

But I'll not go any further as it's requiring a lot of assumptions on your part as to what people think, which is not usually a good sign!

I'll be pushing for this no matter what happens with iPlayer...

I agree totally with you. What right does someone have to say that to claim miss selling is wrong.