Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 20-02-2018 10:22 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Chris325
Explorer
Options

JL Head Office are in discussion with Samsung at a high level, their words and not mine. To be fair to JL they have been keeping me informed but I haven't been posting on this forum as no news so far. JL though are taking this seriously.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options
I'm just gonna wait for complete HDMI 2.1 support next year then get rid of the TV, I think.

That said, I had a go on the work's mid-range LG from last year at the weekend, and it probably doesn't go higher than 350 NITS, and it's HLG enabled. Watched the iplayer demo, and it didn't look overwhelming, but I guess that's down to the poor TV more than anything.
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Chris325wrote:

JL Head Office are in discussion with Samsung at a high level, their words and not mine. To be fair to JL they have been keeping me informed but I haven't been posting on this forum as no news so far. JL though are taking this seriously.

Ladies and gentlemen please remember how significant the behaviour is from different retailers:

• John Lewis: taking it seriously at a very high level of mangement
  • Richer Sounds: instant refunds offered with no fuss at all
  • Curries: fight every step of the way, lie to customers, deny The Law, string it out as much as possible

You know which two of these deserve your patronage in future.

You know which one of these deserves to go under for their business practices.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@Chris325wrote:

@Chris325 

Just to confirm . Are JL in discussion with Samsung in regards to all three issues?  I.e. The smart thing  dongle, HLG and HDR10+ support?

0 Likes
Chris325
Explorer
Options

The main issue is the provision (or lack) of the dongle as this was advertised by JL and then not supplied. Samsung offered me a Smart Connect Hub, but I haven't replied and I informed JL of this and why I hadn't replied as it is up to JL to resolve my complaint i.e. give me what I paid for. I also followed up with HLG but I do think this is secondary. Don't forget promises re HDR10+ were made after most people purchased the TV and whilst they show Samsung in their true colours in promising something and then withdrawing it, I dont see we can do much about this.   

CJH26
Navigator
Options

Like others I am communicating with a director of relations case manager at John Lewis.

I have not had much to add to these topics in terms of updates as I am currently awaiting further replies.

However I have also been told they are communicating with Samsung about this.

Likewise I have stuck purely to the lack of smartthings usb extend dongle as that is all John Lewis can be held responsible for.

73henny
Journeyman
Options

I’ve been told the same thing by JL. However the fact is the contract of sale is with JL. What discussions they may or may not be having with Samsung is of no relevance to the consumer.

chiraag88
Journeyman
Options

Anyone got a case number from John Lewis who has had a full refund ? Just drafting my response now..

0 Likes
Chris325
Explorer
Options

I believe some individuals who purchased direct from a shop may have had a refund from JL, but for any who purchased on line like me, there is still no resolution.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Chris325wrote:

I believe some individuals who purchased direct from a shop may have had a refund from JL, but for any who purchased on line like me, there is still no resolution.

Just keep pushing and squeeze them into a corner. 

0 Likes