Support

Open search

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

Helping Hand

wrote:

wrote:

Forgot to add this on Friday, had a DM from Mark and all of the questions I posted have been escalated to Samsung's Head Office in Korea so unsure if we will get a reply and flatpanelshd are also going to use their contacts too.

 

Not heard anything from What Hifi yet either.


@ Daleski75 Any news from What Hifi?


Nadda

Helping Hand

wrote:


You are not asking for a smart things connect that's in beta,  you wanted the smart connect USB dongle that they advertised back 2016, and them to stop trying to miss lead you with the smart things which will not enable you to connect your TV to smart things.  They are doing their best to confuse the issue and you need to pin them down to the smart connect dongle that was supposed to be given free in 2016.


Another reply - a picture tells a thousand words.

 

This is what we were promised:

Smart Promise.pngThis was Samsung's promise

 

 

This is what they are trying to distract you with:

Smart Delivery.pngThis was NOT the promise - don't be fooled into accepting this

 

 EDIT: This is my understanding of the situation - I welcome corrections!

 

Hotshot

wrote:

wrote:


You are not asking for a smart things connect that's in beta,  you wanted the smart connect USB dongle that they advertised back 2016, and them to stop trying to miss lead you with the smart things which will not enable you to connect your TV to smart things.  They are doing their best to confuse the issue and you need to pin them down to the smart connect dongle that was supposed to be given free in 2016.


Another reply - a picture tells a thousand words.

 

This is what we were promised:

Smart Promise.pngThis was Samsung's promise

 

 

This is what they are trying to distralct you with:

 

 

Smart Delivery.pngThis was NOT the promise - don't be fooled into accepting this

 

 EDIT: This is my understanding of the situation - I welcome corrections!

 


Straight to the point.

Highlighted
Explorer

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Heard back from Samsung through JL 

 

Your query has been passed over from John Lewis for us to look into. First of all, I'd like to thank you for your interest in SmartThings and Samsung TVs. The SmartThings Extend has yet to be officially released and currently in a closed beta program. For the most up-to-date information, sign up for our newsletter on www.smartthings.com and https://www.smartthings.com/uk/extend.

However, with a SmartThings v2 Hub, you can add your TV as a 'Thing' to use in the SmartThings app or use your TV with Samsung Connect. If this is something you are interested in, I can look into arranging a v2 Hub to be sent out to you. Please provide me with your TV's model code, serial number and a picture of the label with all the information (usually on the back of the TV).


You are not asking for a smart things connect that's in beta,  you wanted the smart connect USB dongle that they advertised back 2016, and them to stop trying to miss lead you with the smart things which will not enable you to connect your TV to smart things.  They are doing their best to confuse the issue and you need to pin them down to the smart connect dongle that was supposed to be given free in 2016.


Have you looked at those links?  The Samsung smart things is nothing to do with smart connect dongle.  You need to ask how do you connect the TV to the smart things hub. The second link takes you to a closed beta page,  with no other information. So need to ask what is a "closed beta",  which would suggest the beta program has finished. Ask what are they beta testing,  is it something to allow you to connect a TV to the smart things hub?  Will it be compatible with your 2016 ks model?  When is expected to be released? If they can not answer then you have a case because you were promised the dongle in 2016, and you have been reasonable waiting till 2018.

I bet this is coming from Samsung and I suspect the jl support staff may not understand the issues,  that is why it needs to be spelled out. 


Closed beta just means its private and you require invitation to join. Open beta means anyone can join. 

Voyager

Samsung are trying to palm me off with a smart things hub as well. Ive had enough, i dont care about the money, im going to court.

 

I know there has been a lot of talk about court cases and citizens advice but what the quickest way for me to lodge formal proceedings? Im done with this email ping pong.

Hotshot

wrote:

Samsung are trying to palm me off with a smart things hub as well. Ive had enough, i dont care about the money, im going to court.

 

I know there has been a lot of talk about court cases and citizens advice but what the quickest way for me to lodge formal proceedings? Im done with this email ping pong.


Every thing you need is on the Citizens Advice site, and links to the online documents.

Voyager

Right, this is being done at the weekend. Spaaarrtaaaa!

Voyager

I'm not so sure your 2nd graphic is accurate as the smartthing hub wouldn't have any effect on the TV at all. (unless I'm completely wrong). The TV is still not a part of the IOT as it has no dongle to connect it to the hub. I think the "hub" is a stand alone devise to then control lights/ heating/ music speaker. Quite why anybody but the bedridden would want any of this is totally beyond me.

 

I just want my 4k TV to play 4k BBC iplayer content.

Hotshot

wrote:

I'm not so sure your 2nd graphic is accurate as the smartthing hub wouldn't have any effect on the TV at all. (unless I'm completely wrong). The TV is still not a part of the IOT as it has no dongle to connect it to the hub. I think the "hub" is a stand alone devise to then control lights/ heating/ music speaker. Quite why anybody but the bedridden would want any of this is totally beyond me.

 

I just want my 4k TV to play 4k BBC iplayer content.


It is correct the second graphic which advertises the Smart Things Hub which Curry's and John Lewis are trying to fob off as a suitable replacement. It is not because you can not connect the TV to it without the Smart Connect USB dongle which they promised and have not delivered. I think this is the only avenue to get BBC Iplayer HLG is to get a refund and purchase a TV that can show the Iplayer HLG and 4K. I would not rely on Samsung doing the right thing. It seems they will use any excuse to wriggle out of this, the closed beta testing being another. What they are testing and will it be compatible with the JS and KS has not been answered. The Smart Connect USB dongle was promised in 2016 and I think everyone here has been reasonable waiting till 2018 for it to turn up, and I think I court would probable think the same.

Voyager

They seem to be saying you can connect your tv to it though?

Top Liked Authors