Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 08-02-2018 11:28 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Jay108
Voyager
Options

wrote:

Fair enough, I don't know, but why would iPlayer bother to detail it as a 2016 model.

As far as I understand it. Device: just tells what device the iplayer is running on. 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

wrote:

As the owner of a KS9500 purchased last May I have followed this saga with interest and posted a couple of weeks ago that the iplayer had been updated specifically for Samsung 2016 model.

I now notice that it has been updated once again on Feb 1st  showing

Big screen version 4.6.50.1

Build identifier Thur Feb 01  2018

Device Samsung TV2016 JAZZM Tizen

It seems to me something is going on.

As a bye the bye has anyone looked at the hdr plus setting recently, I never rated it and always returned to the movie setting, but now it's rather good in my opinion, firmware 1208.2

As has been said, the Info page you are looking at, inside the application, just tells you info about the platform the iplayer is running on. For our TVs Device will always say JAZZM TIZEN. etc.

They have changed the UI today, certainly.

It's now asking me "who is watching" and forcing me to tell it myself, a guest, or add a user. This is the reason the version has changed, it'll be that feature (which I hate btw - it's none of their business!).

The underlying app, the bit that is Samsung-specific, you need to look at the outside version info.

Go to Apps in the so-called "Smart" hub, long press on iPlayer for info, and you'll see it's still the same 21st Dec 2017 version 1.1.13.

HTH

0 Likes
edindundee
Pioneer
Options

Well as a slight aside, I need to purchase a new dvd player in the next couple of days.

As usual I'll be popping into Richer Sounds - and asking their advice on 4k players that may or may not interface with a Samsung KS.

Will buy a cheapo normal DVD player as well for the third room.

Life is simpler now that SAMSUNG is not an option! The boycott starts. STILL READING SAMSUNG? YOUR CLOCK IS TICKING DOWN.

terryo1
Student
Options

Thought I would share what seems to pass for Samsung’s mission statement. I particularly liked the bit about high ethical standards.

wrote:7EEECB1D-FBC4-4ABD-8A5A-E812762C3CE7.jpeg
Jay108
Voyager
Options

wrote:

Forgot to add this on Friday, had a DM from Mark and all of the questions I posted have been escalated to Samsung's Head Office in Korea so unsure if we will get a reply and flatpanelshd are also going to use their contacts too.

Not heard anything from What Hifi yet either.

@ Daleski75 Any news from What Hifi?

0 Likes
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

Heard back from Samsung through JL 

Your query has been passed over from John Lewis for us to look into. First of all, I'd like to thank you for your interest in SmartThings and Samsung TVs. The SmartThings Extend has yet to be officially released and currently in a closed beta program. For the most up-to-date information, sign up for our newsletter on www.smartthings.com and https://www.smartthings.com/uk/extend.

However, with a SmartThings v2 Hub, you can add your TV as a 'Thing' to use in the SmartThings app or use your TV with Samsung Connect. If this is something you are interested in, I can look into arranging a v2 Hub to be sent out to you. Please provide me with your TV's model code, serial number and a picture of the label with all the information (usually on the back of the TV).

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

wrote:

Your query has been passed over from John Lewis for us to look into. First of all, I'd like to thank you for your interest in SmartThings and Samsung TVs. The SmartThings Extend has yet to be officially released and currently in a closed beta program. For the most up-to-date information, sign up for our newsletter on www.smartthings.com and https://www.smartthings.com/uk/extend.

However, with a SmartThings v2 Hub, you can add your TV as a 'Thing' to use in the SmartThings app or use your TV with Samsung Connect. If this is something you are interested in, I can look into arranging a v2 Hub to be sent out to you. Please provide me with your TV's model code, serial number and a picture of the label with all the information (usually on the back of the TV).

You are not asking for a smart things connect that's in beta,  you wanted the smart connect USB dongle that they advertised back 2016, and them to stop trying to miss lead you with the smart things which will not enable you to connect your TV to smart things.  They are doing their best to confuse the issue and you need to pin them down to the smart connect dongle that was supposed to be given free in 2016.

0 Likes
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

wrote:

wrote:

You are not asking for a smart things connect that's in beta,  you wanted the smart connect USB dongle that they advertised back 2016, and them to stop trying to miss lead you with the smart things which will not enable you to connect your TV to smart things.  They are doing their best to confuse the issue and you need to pin them down to the smart connect dongle that was supposed to be given free in 2016.

Are you certain about "will not enable you to connect your TV to smart things" Their email above suggests the contrary 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

wrote:

wrote:

Have you looked at those links?  The Samsung smart things is nothing to do with smart connect dongle.  You need to ask how do you connect the TV to the smart things hub. The second link takes you to a closed beta page,  with no other information. So need to ask what is a "closed beta",  which would suggest the beta program has finished. Ask what are they beta testing,  is it something to allow you to connect a TV to the smart things hub?  Will it be compatible with your 2016 ks model?  When is expected to be released? If they can not answer then you have a case because you were promised the dongle in 2016, and you have been reasonable waiting till 2018.

I bet this is coming from Samsung and I suspect the jl support staff may not understand the issues,  that is why it needs to be spelled out. 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Have you looked at those links?  The Samsung smart things is nothing to do with smart connect dongle.  You need to ask how do you connect the TV to the smart things hub. The second link takes you to a closed beta page,  with no other information. So need to ask what is a "closed beta",  which would suggest the beta program has finished. Ask what are they beta testing,  is it something to allow you to connect a TV to the smart things hub?  Will it be compatible with your 2016 ks model?  When is expected to be released? If they can not answer then you have a case because you were promised the dongle in 2016, and you have been reasonable waiting till 2018.

I bet this is coming from Samsung and I suspect the jl support staff may not understand the issues,  that is why it needs to be spelled out. 

Agreed. 

They've even admitted it in their text which talks about adding the TV as a "Thing" to some other system. Some other device which would be the centre, which your TV might be able to connect to - that's not what you were promised.

What we were promised is that the TV would be upgraded to be a SmartThings hub and EVERY DEVICE IN YOUR HOUSE WOULD CONNECT TO THE TV.

Samsung have already confirmed it will never, ever be released. JL's message is misleading, disengenious and time-wasting.