Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-02-2018 06:31 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

wrote:

Not sure if anyone has seen this document.  May be of interest to some;

http://dpp-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/specs/itv/ProgrammeDeliverySpecificationLiveIT...

Awesome! Thanks. Definitely of interest here at least :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Sixedup
Journeyman
Options

I'm a bit late to the party, but thought you'd be interested in the result of my pursuing the BBC to understand what are the options for streaming devices that I can attach to my UE55KS7000, that will provide support for 4K HLG HDR iPlayer. They were initially rather evasive, but the ultimate response was:

Thanks for contacting BBC iPlayer Support.

I understand that you're unable to access Blue Planet II UHD on 2016 Samsung TV.

Unfortunately no connected devices are compatible.

This is a second UHD trial, following our earlier Planet Earth II clip, to help make sure all audiences can enjoy the next generation of high quality TV in future. It’s still a work in progress for Ultra HD and HDR content and we’re working closely with the industry to make sure our content is as widely available as possible.

If we are able to add any new devices to this trial we’ll update the list of devices on the BBC iPlayer FAQ page: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/blue-planet-II-uhd.

That said, the trial will end on 16 January so no UHD content will be avialable after this date.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards
Xxxxxx Xxxxxxxxx
BBC iPlayer Support Team

So sounds like the BBC don't know of any way to get the full iPlayer HLG HDR 4k experience with a 2016 Samsung TV either.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

wrote:

So sounds like the BBC don't know of any way to get the full iPlayer HLG HDR 4k experience with a 2016 Samsung TV either.

Thanks for posting their response.

we’re working closely with the industry to make sure our content is as widely available as possible.

Those are fine words, but their actions reveal otherwise. 😞

If the purpose of the trial was to make sure the content is as widely available as possible, then it's failed. The failure is probably Samsung's fault not the BBC's, but it is (currently - still not too late to put right) a failure.

Also:

..."SO FAR".

..."AT THE TIME OF WRITING". etc. Those words are missing from the BBC's sentence and are required to make it correct.

The BBC can't possibly speak for future firmware updates for existing devices (ie Roku, Amazon Fire TV, etc) nor can they speak for later versions of these devices, or later devices which have not yet been launched.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

wrote:

wrote:

Thanks for posting their response.

we’re working closely with the industry to make sure our content is as widely available as possible.

Those are fine words, but their actions reveal otherwise. 😞

If the purpose of the trial was to make sure the content is as widely available as possible, then it's failed. The failure is probably Samsung's fault not the BBC's, but it is (currently - still not too late to put right) a failure.

Also:

..."SO FAR".

..."AT THE TIME OF WRITING". etc. Those words are missing from the BBC's sentence and are required to make it correct.

The BBC can't possibly speak for future firmware updates for existing devices (ie Roku, Amazon Fire TV, etc) nor can they speak for later versions of these devices, or later devices which have not yet been launched.

It was on AV Forums that someone said the roku did not give iplayer HLG,  and that seems to be confirmed by the bbc.  If they could have been updated I would have thought they would have been. 

0 Likes
Pete1234
Explorer
Options
Not posted on here since before Christmas.
Looks like those K series owners are able to get a refund if they persue the unrelated but valid smarthings dongle argument.
No options for us J series owners who are didn't have the claim nor any particular HDR claims that I'm aware of.
It's great that some K Series owners have been able to get refunds but ultimately how many has this amounted to, 10? 20? TVs replaced? I don't know if this hits the retailer or Samsung in the pocket. Certainly that volume's not going to trouble a company the size of Samsung. They have remained silent witb no official statement for anyone to take away.
No statement means we are still no further forward understanding why they are unable to make iPlayer 4kHDR work on J & K series. The fact that the same format works via other sources does suggest a license issue that Samsung don't want to pay for older TVs.
HDR versions are in a state of flux at the moment with people competing to become the dominant standard. Even if you have a brand new set I wouldn't hold my breath that it's going to be still supporting everything in 2 years given Samsung's stance on the KS9500s. Definitely going for another manufacturer next time. A shame as the screen is otherwise good.
Jay108
Voyager
Options

wrote:
Not posted on here since before Christmas.
Looks like those K series owners are able to get a refund if they persue the unrelated but valid smarthings dongle argument.
No options for us J series owners who are didn't have the claim nor any particular HDR claims that I'm aware of.
It's great that some K Series owners have been able to get refunds but ultimately how many has this amounted to, 10? 20? TVs replaced? I don't know if this hits the retailer or Samsung in the pocket. Certainly that volume's not going to trouble a company the size of Samsung. They have remained silent witb no official statement for anyone to take away.
No statement means we are still no further forward understanding why they are unable to make iPlayer 4kHDR work on J & K series. The fact that the same format works via other sources does suggest a license issue that Samsung don't want to pay for older TVs.
HDR versions are in a state of flux at the moment with people competing to become the dominant standard. Even if you have a brand new set I wouldn't hold my breath that it's going to be still supporting everything in 2 years given Samsung's stance on the KS9500s. Definitely going for another manufacturer next time. A shame as the screen is otherwise good.

Current position perfectly summarised.  👍🏽

mistuk
Apprentice
Options

Anyone been successful with a JL refund?

0 Likes
Blacko
Apprentice
Options

As the owner of a KS9500 purchased last May I have followed this saga with interest and posted a couple of weeks ago that the iplayer had been updated specifically for Samsung 2016 model.

I now notice that it has been updated once again on Feb 1st  showing

Big screen version 4.6.50.1

Build identifier Thur Feb 01  2018

Device Samsung TV2016 JAZZM Tizen

It seems to me something is going on.

As a bye the bye has anyone looked at the hdr plus setting recently, I never rated it and always returned to the movie setting, but now it's rather good in my opinion, firmware 1208.2

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

wrote:

As the owner of a KS9500 purchased last May I have followed this saga with interest and posted a couple of weeks ago that the iplayer had been updated specifically for Samsung 2016 model.

I now notice that it has been updated once again on Feb 1st  showing

Big screen version 4.6.50.1

Build identifier Thur Feb 01  2018

Device Samsung TV2016 JAZZM Tizen

It seems to me something is going on.

As a bye the bye has anyone looked at the hdr plus setting recently, I never rated it and always returned to the movie setting, but now it's rather good in my opinion, firmware 1208.2

Interesting ,but  what makes you think that this upgrade is specifically for Samsung 2016? As I understand it is only telling you information about your TV. .

0 Likes
Blacko
Apprentice
Options

Fair enough, I don't know, but why would iPlayer bother to detail it as a 2016 model.

0 Likes