Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-02-2018 05:01 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

I purchased a Roku streaming stick+ at Xmas, and used it to view the iplayer 4K content for BP2. It looked really very good. 

That is all. 

Jay108
Voyager
Options

wrote:

I purchased a Roku streaming stick+ at Xmas, and used it to view the iplayer 4K content for BP2. It looked really very good. 

That is all. 

Hi Please can you  clarify. You connected roku which is supported by BBC Iplayers for HLG to SK  2016 model TV?  

0 Likes
ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

wrote:

wrote:

That is all. 

Hi Please can you  clarify. You connected roku which is supported by BBC Iplayers for HLG to SK  2016 model TV?  

I connected it to my Samsung ks7000 55

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

That is all. 

I connected it to my Samsung ks7000 55

That's good to know. And Ks7000 actually recognised the stream as  HDR . And not just 4K upscaled HD quality? 

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options
That would have been really helpful a few weeks ago LOL
0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

This is a bit of a game-stopper for me.  A Roku stick is relatively cheap and if BBC iPlayer works via this and delivers HDR-HLG then I will get one and I'm out.  But how do I test, given the BBC have stopped showing BP2 now?  TV early December 2016,  KS9500.  I'm prepared to get one straight away and test if I know how to.

EDIT:  Arrrrgh - they don't support HD Sound Pass-Through 😞 😞

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

wrote:

This is a bit of a game-stopper for me.  A Roku stick is relatively cheap and if BBC iPlayer works via this and delivers HDR-HLG then I will get one and I'm out.  But how do I test, given the BBC have stopped showing BP2 now?  TV early December 2016,  KS9500.  I'm prepared to get one straight away and test if I know how to.

Probably can't test it now until next trial.  But even if this works. It's only a work around.  Also it means extra cost and it's a messy implementation.  We have to keep pushing Samsung to enable HLG through BBC i player. Samsung promised along with HDR10+  

I am pretty sure HDR10+ will catch on very quickly. Amazon already converted All their HDR content to HDR10+ for USA. It will come to UK soon. From what I read HDR10+ looks amazing.  Nextflix are also seriously looking into streaming HDR10+. 

So all KS owners please don't give up on this fight. We can not let big companies like Samsung walk all over their customers. Promising things and then never deliver. 

I am sure we would probably find a work Arounds for these problems. But that's is not the point.

i urge people not to give up on this fight. We paid hard earned cash in (some cases over £5000) for these TV's and we have a right to demand Samsung to fulfill their promises. 

As a minimum Samsung has to admit and compensate their customers. 

In my opinion. We can only challenge the stores like JL and Currys for Smart thing dongle as they advertised it.?  For HLG and HDR10+ Samsung who has to compensate.  

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

wrote:

wrote:

Probably can't test it now until next trial.  But even if this works. It's only a work around.  Also it means extra cost and it's a messy implementation.  We have to keep pushing Samsung to enable HLG through BBC i player. Samsung promised along with HDR10+  

I am pretty sure HDR10+ will catch on very quickly. Amazon already converted All their HDR content to HDR10+ for USA. It will come to UK soon. From what I read HDR10+ looks amazing.  Nextflix are also seriously looking into streaming HDR10+. 

So all KS owners please don't give up on this fight. We can not let big companies like Samsung walk all over their customers. Promising things and then never deliver. 

I am sure we would probably find a work Arounds for these problems. But that's is not the point.

i urge people not to give up on this fight. We paid hard earned cash in (some cases over £5000) for these TV's and we have a right to demand Samsung to fulfill their promises. 

In my opinion. We can only challenge the stores like JL and Currys for Smart thing dongle as they advertised it.?  For HLG and HDR10+ Samsung who has to compensate.  

I would suggest those who want to continue the refund route move to ks refund as this thread seems to have been hijacked! The roku I thought could do HDR but saw on AV Forums it could not do Iplayer HLG when someone tried it with blue planet 2. The only HLG I have got to work is using the YouTube app on my ks. It would not work via hdmi or USB. But that is not the only issue as hdr10+,  as mentioned looks like it will be used a lot more especially since it is royalty free.  The smart connect was promised and Samsungs offer of a free smart things connect is very poor in that it does not fix the promise. 

All the info is on ks refunds and it is a lot smaller. 

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I would suggest those who want to continue the refund route move to ks refund as this thread seems to have been hijacked! The roku I thought could do HDR but saw on AV Forums it could not do Iplayer HLG when someone tried it with blue planet 2. The only HLG I have got to work is using the YouTube app on my ks. It would not work via hdmi or USB. But that is not the only issue as hdr10+,  as mentioned looks like it will be used a lot more especially since it is royalty free.  The smart connect was promised and Samsungs offer of a free smart things connect is very poor in that it does not fix the promise. 

All the info is on ks refunds and it is a lot smaller. 

I think everyone asking for a refund should be on there anyway as it keeps things much tidier, this thread has got a life of it's own now.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Forgot to add this on Friday, had a DM from Mark and all of the questions I posted have been escalated to Samsung's Head Office in Korea so unsure if we will get a reply and flatpanelshd are also going to use their contacts too.

Not heard anything from What Hifi yet either.