Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 02-02-2018 11:40 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Onpoint
Explorer
Options

@AntS could you add me to the list of disgruntled please. I bought the 49KS7000 at the end of 2016 having spent a lot of time waiting for HDR and researching the available TV's. Naively I thought I'd future proofed myself with this purchase in terms of home connectablity via the advertised Smart Things Hub and HDR capabilities for TV and gaming.

Unfortunately I bought via Currys (only place that had stock at the time) so not holding my breath of getting anywhere with them. 

Cheers

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

"I have not tried HEVC myself but some owbners say below clip cannot enable HLG on Samsung 20176 sets when played via USB

http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/"

It is not correct. The file is recognized via USB as HDR. If don't recognize perhaps the Tv is not updated. I remember that don't appear HLG but HDR in info

Saverio Casadidio
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

Samsung added HLG support in 2 steps. First support via USB and then broadcast support. I do not know if it is supported for HDMI but some people in US forums said that HLG is recognized as HDR with external devices connected via HDMI.
The HLG problem remains via streaming.

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

wrote:

Samsung added HLG support in 2 steps. First support via USB and then broadcast support. I do not know if it is supported for HDMI but some people in US forums said that HLG is recognized as HDR with external devices connected via HDMI.
The HLG problem remains via streaming.

can you share a screenshot and video of playing the same clip on 2016 sets via USB?

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

This...... posted two days ago. If you are not sure, today evening I post an image froma my Tv

wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

But you tried with an external player (not iplayer BBC) on HDMI? 

People were unable to get hlg work with Samsung but it worked with sony and Panasonic, can anyone confirm if 20!6 Samsung sets work with direct TV via HDMI

https://www.avforums.com/threads/the-bbc-claim-that-the-roku-3810eu-has-support-for-hlg.2140565/

Hlg HEVC does not work on 2016 or 2015 Samsung TV's. It does work on LG and Panasonic 2016 models, full stop. That is why this thread is here!

Please do not repeat this. It is not correct to say "HEVC HLG does not work full stop"; if you did it would then be you who (unintentionally I am sure) was muddying the waters 😞

A simpler clip that does not need any conversion (audio of TravelXP needs converting before that file will play): 

download from http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/   (blue button at the bottom of the screen).

Media info is:

Video
ID : 33 (0x21)
Menu ID : 301 (0x12D)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@Main
Codec ID : 36
Duration : 17 h 6 min
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Writing library : ATEME Titan File 3.7.7 (4.7.7.1)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : HLG / BT.2020
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant

It plays with no issues* on my KS7000, and switches to HDR decoding mode etc. Oh, and note the date in the screenshot; we've had HEVC HLG support for 10 months and counting. The iPlayer issue is down to Samsung and the BBC.

Cymatic Jazz HDR info bar-with arrow.png

*other than the sweaty DJ being very annoying.

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

In the internet there are some files that are not correctly inserted. In that case there are errors

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

wrote:

This...... posted two days ago. If you are not sure, today evening I post an image froma my Tv

wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

But you tried with an external player (not iplayer BBC) on HDMI? 

People were unable to get hlg work with Samsung but it worked with sony and Panasonic, can anyone confirm if 20!6 Samsung sets work with direct TV via HDMI

https://www.avforums.com/threads/the-bbc-claim-that-the-roku-3810eu-has-support-for-hlg.2140565/

Hlg HEVC does not work on 2016 or 2015 Samsung TV's. It does work on LG and Panasonic 2016 models, full stop. That is why this thread is here!

Please do not repeat this. It is not correct to say "HEVC HLG does not work full stop"; if you did it would then be you who (unintentionally I am sure) was muddying the waters 😞

A simpler clip that does not need any conversion (audio of TravelXP needs converting before that file will play): 

download from http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/   (blue button at the bottom of the screen).

Media info is:

Video
ID : 33 (0x21)
Menu ID : 301 (0x12D)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@Main
Codec ID : 36
Duration : 17 h 6 min
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Writing library : ATEME Titan File 3.7.7 (4.7.7.1)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : HLG / BT.2020
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant

It plays with no issues* on my KS7000, and switches to HDR decoding mode etc. Oh, and note the date in the screenshot; we've had HEVC HLG support for 10 months and counting. The iPlayer issue is down to Samsung and the BBC.

Cymatic Jazz HDR info bar-with arrow.png

*other than the sweaty DJ being very annoying.

please post video, showing firmware model of the TV and file information when you start to play the file, please also capture backlight settings before and after playback, please also capture your TV picture settings

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options
It's both - the TV requires a firmware upgrade, then the BBC need to 'enable' the UHD channel support in our version of iplayer.
0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options
I for one now am totally confused - Does my 2016 KS9000 support HDR HLG via BBC iPlayer or not?
0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

wrote:
I for one now am totally confused - Does my 2016 KS9000 support HDR HLG via BBC iPlayer or not?

No

0 Likes