Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 01-02-2018 08:06 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
crashcris
Voyager
Options

So Daleski, the main topic of UHD iplayer has not really been stressed to Mark? He's going to ask about HDR10+ (which at present is totally irrelevant as ONLY Amazon US is using the format). And he'll be told that HLG support is being provided to TVs but again that's TOTALLY irrelevant as there are NO BROADCASTERS broadcasting in 4k HLG OTA. The point of this forum was to get Samsung to update the firmware and "enable" the BBC UHD Iplayer on their 2014/15/16 TVs.

If Mark doesn't ask of Samsung, Why they have no plans to enable UHD Iplayer on their 14/15/16 TVs then that will have been a massively missed opertunity.

Nobody has ever wanted a smart things dongle. I don't believe anybody would be happy if they recieved a smart things dongle. I do believe that this thread was concerning the ability of our 1/ 2 and 3 year old sets to show the Blue Planet II in 4k on our sets (with HLG or without) and subsequently  have our TVs "ENABLED" to access the BBC Iplayer in 4K when the service is launched mainstream.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

So Daleski, the main topic of UHD iplayer has not really been stressed to Mark? He's going to ask about HDR10+ (which at present is totally irrelevant as ONLY Amazon US is using the format). And he'll be told that HLG support is being provided to TVs but again that's TOTALLY irrelevant as there are NO BROADCASTERS broadcasting in 4k HLG OTA. The point of this forum was to get Samsung to update the firmware and "enable" the BBC UHD Iplayer on their 2014/15/16 TVs.

If Mark doesn't ask of Samsung, Why they have no plans to enable UHD Iplayer on their 14/15/16 TVs then that will have been a massively missed opertunity.

Nobody has ever wanted a smart things dongle. I don't believe anybody would be happy if they recieved a smart things dongle. I do believe that this thread was concerning the ability of our 1/ 2 and 3 year old sets to show the Blue Planet II in 4k on our sets (with HLG or without) and subsequently  have our TVs "ENABLED" to access the BBC Iplayer in 4K when the service is launched mainstream.

Mark is asking about HLG streaming support but I will mention 4k iplayer now.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

I agree with that last sentence, and that the focus of the article should be Samsung/BBC iPlayer fiasco, but not the sentence before. Please please please, we are undermining our case if we unintentionally spread mis-information.

You might have been only talking about the UK, but if so you need to be very clear.

DirectTV in America is regularly broadcasting (that's real broadcasting, not multi-casting over the Internet using an app) HLG 4k live sports, right now. That is a fact which we cannot escape from. There are also test broadcasts from some European broadcasters, there's been an Opera broadcast in Italy I think for example, but not a full service. But America is way ahead, they have a full HLG broadcasting service in operation right now.

@crashcris wrote:

Agreed but only 80%. I want "with HLG" and not "or without". I'm definitely not fussed about 4k SDR iPlayer, because the TV already is very good at scaling 2k to 4k. IMHO that would be a wasted effort, since we know the TV technically can do the full 4k HDR thing and it's just politics and BS which is in our way.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

To recap Mark is going to ask about HLG streaming, HDR10+, No further updates for KS models and 4k iPlayer support (not sure if I asked too late about this) and as soon as I get an answer I will post it here.

Also Mark needs cold hard facts to pass onto samsung and the best one was HDR10+ so if they do update our tv's with this then maybe just maybe there is hope for HLG streaming as well.

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@crashcris wrote:

Mark is asking about HLG streaming support but I will mention 4k iplayer now.

Whilst there is the big issue of iPlayer as well as the implementation of both HLG and HDR10+ (if they still plan to update the TV in the future), the main crux of it all comes down to the lack of support and basically the admission that they don't intend to update a TV which, less than a year ago, was their current and 'Premium' model.

In all cases, it comes down to 'support' (or more accurately, the lack of). They have 'NO PLANS' to support 4k HLG iPlayer on 2016 (and earlier) TV's - even though the TV is 'capable' of both 4k and HLG (according to Samsung). There is still no word on HDR10+ support - despite promising that the KS (at least) would be updated in the latter half of 2017. In both HLG and HDR10+ comments from Samsung, they implied that both formats would be supported fully - no indication that either would have conditional or limited support - similar in essence to Sony promising DV support on all TV's that have the X1 Extreme processor that currently is 'Half Baked' as AVForums describe it.

In all cases, it comes down to 'support', the promises of support, the 'half baked' implementation (or not in the case of HDR10+) of support, refusal to support in built iPlayer HLG app, and basically admitting that they have no intention to provide future updates to these TV's - essentially refusing to support them moving forward. As I said, this TV was still 'current' a year ago so this is appalling.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

Hi mrtickle. Yes I'm talking from a UK stance. I stand corrected on the other regions use of broadcast HLG. In the UK the head of BBC R&D has already stated that 4K broadcast is unlikely to happen any time soon if at all.

At present the BBC iplayer HD is actually only 720p, (not sure how you think it's 2K) so a jump to 4k would be most noticable. I would rather that than nothing. As far as the individual TVs from 2014/15/16 are concerned, I have no idea if technically there is a reason HLG on those sets is procluded, Samsung hasn't issused anything other than "they're not looking to "enable" the service". However, I do know that 4K streaming from Youtube, Netflix and Amazon do work, hence why even BBC UHD SDR iplayer would satisfy me but even that is seemingly not being considered for older sets.

JTE
Navigator
Options

Most 2015/15 TVs were sold using One Connect Evolution Kit. Samsung has dropped that and also confirmed they will not provide UHD iPlayer support. Had they kept their word with an upgraded Evolution Kit I would have been satisfied. It’s a complete joke.

MrVague-uk
First Poster
Options

Is the iPlayer issue with the built in BBC app, or with the tv firmware itself?

i.e. If Apple TV was to add support for HLG, could the tv then display it?

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

wrote:

Is the iPlayer issue with the built in BBC app, or with the tv firmware itself?

i.e. If Apple TV was to add support for HLG, could the tv then display it?

As per BBC TV firmware cannot support the HLG updated app

As for HLG over HDMI, people have tried Roku and DirecTV - Samsung 2016 sets are unable to support it over HDMI

As for Apple TV it really depends on their implementation as owners of 2016 sets have confirmed (including myself) that set support HLG via Youtube and USB using VP9 codec, I have not tried HEVC myself but some owbners say below clip cannot enable HLG on Samsung 20176 sets when played via USB

http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

From flatpanelshd

Hi Dale,

This is definitely something we will look into. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

First step will be to reach out to Samsung for an official answer on HDR10+ and HLG, respectively. I will keep you posted when I hear back.

Best regards,

Rasmus Larsen