Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 01-02-2018 02:49 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

I have had confirmation this morning that Samsung have agreed to replace my 65ks9500 with a brand new 65q9f  TV.  

Cool. So you're replacing a bendy one with a proper flat one, :manwink:well done for seeing the light! :manhappy:

There are no Q9 bendy models, and the Q9 range are the only ones to do 2000 nits so that's definitely the right option to take.

amokuk
Voyager
Options
Sorry to burst your bubble but freeview play delivers HVEC UHD HDR via IP ie you need a broadband connect, not over the air. There is no bandwidth in the UK for it. The US might be different. Essentially turning freeview play into an iplayer like service.
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

I have had confirmation this morning that Samsung have agreed to replace my 65ks9500 with a brand new 65q9f  TV.  

Cool. So you're replacing a bendy one with a proper flat one, :manwink:well done for seeing the light! :manhappy:

There are no Q9 bendy models, and the Q9 range are the only ones to do 2000 nits so that's definitely the right option to take.

I hope it is a good as the reviews , must say was a bit surprised when they offered to exchange,  I thought it might have been another ks but I asked for the q9 and they said yes,  to be delivered from their main depo next week.  Bit hard now for me to continue this fight.  This came from the CEO uk office not from their support. 

Paul

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

As such my fight with Samsung is now over as it would be difficult for me to criticize them as that or a refund is all I wanted,  and they have done the right thing.   I do hope everyone here gets sorted and I hope my input has helped some. I will keep watching and anyone can pm me if need be. 

Thanks

Paul

well done 

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

As such my fight with Samsung is now over as it would be difficult for me to criticize them as that or a refund is all I wanted,  and they have done the right thing.   I do hope everyone here gets sorted and I hope my input has helped some. I will keep watching and anyone can pm me if need be. 

Thanks

Paul

well done 

@paul1277   Apology, If i have missed this.  Please can you clarify on what grounds did Samsung agree to replace your TV? Was it for lack of HLG, HDR10+ and Dongle support?  Also the q9f model does it have FALD?  Full Back LED like 9500?

Thanks .  Jay.

0 Likes
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

Thanks

Paul

well done 

@paul1277   Apology, If i have missed this.  Please can you clarify on what grounds did Samsung agree to replace your TV? Was it for lack of HLG, HDR10+ and Dongle support?  Also the q9f model does it have FALD?  Full Back LED like 9500?

Thanks .  Jay.

Well done indeed. Yes mpre details please. Does this suggest Samsung are working their way down AntS list ? I know that Samsung is dealing with my complaint directly (currently) and I'm waiting to hear what they'll do for me. Hopefully replace my UE55KS7000 with a QE55Q7F or similar...

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

Thanks

Paul

well done 

Thanks .  Jay.

No its not fald unfortunately but none if the 2017 models are.  Its q9 is edge lit the other models are bottom lit.  I had an ongoing issue with it not recording from epg since August and they accepted they could not fix it after sending engineer's round twice.  They did warn me that some q9 have similar issue which they are working on.  I used all the arguments,  and think they may have got fed up with me.  The other issues made things worse and that was when I really went to w**.  Like I said good luck to you all and yes you have a case and don't give up. 

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

This is my response to Mark from avforums so far. (This will be updated as I collate more proof)

Hi Mark, The HDR10+ is taken from the email from Samsung Support who have admitted that the KS2016 is no longer being updated which is linked here on AVforums (I can see if I can get hold of the original from the chap who posted it on the Samsung forums if that’s better) avforums.com/threads/samsun…

Here is proof from Samsung Head Office that they cancelled Smart Thing Extend

Good afternoon Mr ******, I am contacting in response to your communication received to the CEO of Samsung UK. I am sorry to learn of your disappointment following your communication with our customer support team.

With regard to the Smart Things dongle, the decision was made for this to not be released, and I recognise that this has caused disappointment for which I offer my apologies. What I can do is provide a SmartThings Hub to you without charge as a gesture of goodwill. Please let me know if you would like to receive this and I can make the arrangements for you.

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns.

Regards

Kirsty *****
Customer Services Executive | UK & Eire

Samsung are refusing to give an answer about HLG and are only stating that HLG is enabled for broadcast only and not for streaming

The moderator of the forum has specifically being asked by Samsung Management to collate a list of users who are complaining about the lack of HDR10+ and HLG streaming which now stands at around 100 individuals

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@JAMES4578 wrote:

@AntS  Appreciate all your efforts detailing concerns on Iplayer HLG and related matters for 2016 owners,even though I am not  now directly affected.  Do you speak some Italian or just use a translation service? :smiling-face:

Just Google Translate. About the only Italian I genuinely know is “ciao”, “calcio”, ”Gazetta dello Sport”, and “Forza Meee-laaan!”

@ewanstancarr wrote:

Does this suggest Samsung are working their way down AntS list ? 

The report doesn't have anyone's contact details or reference numbers, so I'd be very, very surprised if someone's using it for that. As far as I'm aware, it's being used to give the more senior people to me a comprehensive but easy view of your side of things (as opposed to them having to trawl through 172+ pages themselves).

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Response from Mark Hodgkinson

Thanks Dale, much appreciated. I'm going to reach out to Samsung and see what they have to say. I'm also going to look to see if I can find evidence that Samsung ever promised HLG streaming and HDR10+ on the 2016 TVs. Without that, all we've really got (that we can publish) is them dropping the Smart Things Dongle. Mark.

FWIW, I agree they are not good at supporting TVs after more than 12-18 months, speaking personally as a former owner.

Gave Mark the Samsung Press Release for HDR10+ support on 2016 televisions.