Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 01-02-2018 12:37 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
rozel
Voyager
Options

Brilliant !!!

I may have missed something but why Samsung and not the retailer here?

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@rozel wrote:

Brilliant !!!

I may have missed something but why Samsung and not the retailer here?

@I am just as surprised. I also had an issue with it not recording as well which the could not fix. It was through the CEO office not support , and was offered last week,  and was confirmed this morning to be delivered next week.  So I have achieved what I out to do and as I said it would be wrong now to continue the fight Samsung have come good for me.  I will still offer help if anyone asks but I will now take a step back.  Again thanks for all the help and support from every one and if course @AntS .

Paul

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

I have Mark Hodgkinson from AVforums trying to DM me on twitter, will let you guys know the outcome.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Mark is asking for links/proof of what Samsung have stated as he thinks they can make a news story out of this.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

I have had confirmation this morning that Samsung have agreed to replace my 65ks9500 with a brand new 65q9f  TV.  

As such my fight with Samsung is now over as it would be difficult for me to criticize them as that or a refund is all I wanted,  and they have done the right thing.   I do hope everyone here gets sorted and I hope my input has helped some. I will keep watching and anyone can pm me if need be. 

Thanks

Paul

Very pleased you've got a satisfactory resolution Paul, a bit of a surprise it's come through Samsung but certainly credit to them though appreciate it's taken a lot of effort to get to this point.  Hopefully a good sign for others though know many seeking redress.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Mark is asking for links/proof of what Samsung have stated as he thinks they can make a news story out of this.

It was in this months or next What hi fi

matlough
Explorer
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

It was in this months or next What hi fi

Also https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Yes, HLG does work through HDMI, and via Youtube.

We're still not sure whether this is because it's using the VP9 container, and not the HEVC container, which is where the problem lies. (I'm sure someone of the calibre of mrtickle will correct me if I've got that wrong.)

BBC is using a new transport container which is licensed ON TOP of their own separate licensing for the LUT's for the conversion work, as well as having to have supported sets 'enabled' by themselves before we see the updated app with the UHD channel.

As for the silly comments regarding future support for HLG HDR broadcasts, the Freeview Play spec was updated in September 2016 to enable UHD HEVC and HLG support.

I think the bit in bold is also key and shouldn't be allowed to be forgotten. Not only must the firmware of the TV support whatever it needs to support for it to work, but also, what I hate as a licence-fee payer is that the BBC have owners "over a barrel" because they have to specifically "turn it on" on their servers. Doesn't matter if the TV supports everything, and has the correct version of the iPlayer app - if the BBC doesn't set the flags on their servers (along the lines of "send 4K HLG to Samsung KS models") then nothing will happen.

Initially in December I thought that was the only issue; confident (as I was) that HLG worked, and couldn't 

understand the BBC's lack of action or transparency over what should have been a simple 5-minute config file change.

There's still been precious little technical detail unfortunately but if I was to attempt a summary of what is required on Samsung's technical side (and extra things that aren't, to show their place in the list) it would be:

• support for decoding the HLG EOTF - [are colours displayed correctly; does TV switch to HDR decoding with the HLG EOTF, and not the PQ EOTF which HDR10 uses] definite "yes" we have this, proved by playing back HLG clips from USB, and the HLG clips on YouTube.
  • support for DVB-DASH - unknown, but I think someone said Netflix uses it. However I am beginning to doubt this. Ref: http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/netflix-offline-downloads-codecs-vp9-1201932502/ "For streaming, Netflix has been using H.264/AVC almost exclusively. However, users who download Netflix shows to most Android devices instead receive content encoded with VP9" . Most users' TVs can VP9, and it's the lucky few (including us) who can do VP9.2 as well. I see no reason why Netflix would want to use DVB-DASH. So file under "unknown", "probably not", "this might be the problem".
  • support for HLG in a HEVC container - yes, USB clip, unsure if relevant
  • support for HLG in a VP9.2container - yes, YouTube, but not relevant, not used by iPlayer
  • support for HLG over a HDMI link - I believe yes from memory reported by users last year, but not relevant.

(for a nice primer on some of the technical aspects like PQ, EOTF and HLG I heartily recommend: https://www.lightillusion.com/uhdtv.html)

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Waiting on clarification from Mark at av forums as there is so much going on about HLG, HDR10+, rescinding support and also Smart Things Extend, don't want to bombard the poor chap with wrong information.

Also once I have got clarification I would appreciate some help collating everything together so I can send it to Mark in one go

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

Please don't forget to fill him in on the issue that as yet "Samsung have no plans to enable UHD iplayer (SDR or HDR) on their 2014/ 2015 or 2016 TVs. Personally, the HLG (HDR) is nowhere nearly as important as the capability to play 4k Iplayer on my 2015 js8000 set.  The scandal being that 1 year old, 2 years old and 3 years old sets are being dropped from the updates which are required to access BBC 4K Iplayer.

The misselling aspect of the never delivered dongles, whilst being a valid and irrefutable method of getting some leverage over the retailers and to some extent Samsung themselves, is not really the issue most of us are bothered with. However on another level it does of course back up the claim that Samsung are happy to abandon their customers once the TVs have been purchased, but please do stress that the future UHD iplayer is the most essential update that our TVs are being denied access to, whether through lack of payment of a license fee to carry the service or lack of desire to enable it in a cynical bid to force Early adopters of high end 4k TVs (mugs like myself) to buy a new TV every 2 years. Samsung are treating their customers with contempt.