Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 01-02-2018 09:40 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

Sky has said that they transmit content on the Internet for those who do not want the parable. But not that it will leave the satellite. And it will start from Italy dove partly already doing so with Tim. In Italy Sky will broadcast the F1 in 4k HLG on the satellite

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Back on topic this thread is about the lack of HLG support for iPlayer and nothing whatsoever to do with playing HLG over any other method be it usb, hdmi so please do not try and derail this thread as you are only adding to the confusion.

Got a fair retweets yesterday so thanks guys and keeping a look out to see if this ever gets media coverage.

AntS
Options

I like a good discussion and debate as much as the next man, but it's best to keep it civil, folks.

Saverio571 is a longtime and prominent member in the Italian Samsung Community. You should be able to check out more of his posts here: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/86674

I don't know enough about what's happening in Italy to comment beyond this.

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

No problem Ants.

It was my mistake to ask here if the HLG on HDMI works. Sorry.

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
AntS
Options

It's okay @Saverio571  :robothappy:

I understand that this thread is very, very long, and covers a few things from the original topic of HLG on iPlayer, to how to go about contacting retailers etc. about returning products,  as well as some discussion about whether it was possible to get HLG at all or via another connected device. I may be wrong, but I think that you were just trying to share your knowledge and experience.

If it makes it easier to understand where this thread is at currently, 2016 UHD TVs can receive broadcast HLG, but most of the posters in this thread are concerned about the lack of HLG on the iPlayer app specifically, along with stuff like lack of HDR10+. 

Capisco che questa discussione sia molto, molto lunga e che copra alcune cose dall'argomento originale di HLG su iPlayer, a come contattare i rivenditori ecc. Sulla restituzione dei prodotti, nonché alcune discussioni sull'eventualità di ottenere HLG o tramite un altro dispositivo collegato. Potrei sbagliarmi, ma penso che stavi solo cercando di condividere le tue conoscenze ed esperienze.

Se è più facile capire dove si trova questo thread al momento, i televisori UHD del 2016 possono ricevere HLG broadcast, ma la maggior parte dei poster in questo thread sono preoccupati per la mancanza di HLG nell'app iPlayer in particolare, insieme a cose come la mancanza di HDR10 +

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@AntS I am not sure if any of us have said this but many thanks for all your work with this thread and keeping Samsung informed of the number of complaints etc.

It's a shame that this thread exists but hopefully given time Samsung may change their stance.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

perhaps @Saverio571  had taken the discussion a bit off topic (as tends to happen at times in forums) but was talking about some related matters (even if you take a different view on issues)  Think one lesson is not to make too many assumptions without evidence, though not intending to be too critical here.

I can confirm that whilst Sky is introducing a broadband TV service without dish,as far as I am aware  the satellite system will continue for the forseeable future, long term may be another matter.  It's been reported that new sysyem will be running in Italy and Austria before it is operational in UK.

@Ants  Appreciate all your efforts detailing concerns on Iplayer HLG and related matters for 2016 owners,even though I am not  now directly affected.  Do you speak some Italian or just use a translation service? :smiling-face:

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Hi Saverio,

Yes, HLG does work through HDMI, and via Youtube.

We're still not sure whether this is because it's using the VP9 container, and not the HEVC container, which is where the problem lies. (I'm sure someone of the calibre of mrtickle will correct me if I've got that wrong.)

BBC is using a new transport container which is licensed ON TOP of their own separate licensing for the LUT's for the conversion work, as well as having to have supported sets 'enabled' by themselves before we see the updated app with the UHD channel.

As for the silly comments regarding future support for HLG HDR broadcasts, the Freeview Play spec was updated in September 2016 to enable UHD HEVC and HLG support.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Hi Saverio,

Yes, HLG does work through HDMI, and via Youtube.

We're still not sure whether this is because it's using the VP9 container, and not the HEVC container,

ere thhdmi? oblem lies. (I'm sure someone of the calibre of mrtickle will correct me if I've got that wrong.)

BBC is using a new transport container which is licensed ON TOP of their own separate licensing for the LUT's for the conversion work, as well as having to have supported sets 'enabled' by themselves before we see the updated app with the UHD channel.

As for the silly comments regarding future support for HLG HDR broadcasts, the Freeview Play spec was updated in September 2016 to enable UHD HEVC and HLG support.

But the 2016 sets are not being updated. 

Also what device is @Anonymous User using for HEVC HLG through hdmi? I can only get HLG through YouTube on my TV. Which is vp9.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I have had confirmation this morning that Samsung have agreed to replace my 65ks9500 with a brand new 65q9f  TV.  

As such my fight with Samsung is now over as it would be difficult for me to criticize them as that or a refund is all I wanted,  and they have done the right thing.   I do hope everyone here gets sorted and I hope my input has helped some. I will keep watching and anyone can pm me if need be. 

Thanks

Paul