Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 31-01-2018 08:19 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

I think the Roku stick was on the list of supported devices on the Blue Planet trial - does anyone have one of these and able to confirm if this did play HLG through the HDMI/TV?

HLG was not supported on Roku Plus and 4k resolution unimpressive, according to @crashcrishttps://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/Blue-Planet-2-HLG-No-Samsung/m-p/374945#M6972  Page 78 of this thread,original full details on page 14.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

My retailer has responded. Has said they have communicated directly with Samsung and now wish to connect me with them to resolve the situation. That does not  sound hopeful but  I will know more tomorrow. Sounds like a potential brush off as can't see how Samsung will wave a magic wand...and anyway would prefer to deal with retailer rather than Samsung. 

Ants - what is Samsungs intentions (and when) around this "list"? 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@ewanstancarr wrote:

My retailer has responded. Has said they have communicated directly with Samsung and now wish to connect me with them to resolve the situation. That does not  sound hopeful but  I will know more tomorrow. Sounds like a potential brush off as can't see how Samsung will wave a magic wand...and anyway would prefer to deal with retailer rather than Samsung. 

I would reply you will listen but remind the retailer that under the Oct 2015 European Consumer regs they are responsible for the misrepresentation and if Samsungs resolution is a free Smart Things connect worth £50 that still will not enable the TV to be connected the IOT, I would say no thanks because it does not resolve the situation. If you look back another member  @daleski75 was offered the Hub from Samsung which he declined as a solution and was given £550 + in vouchers from Curry's. They again are trying their best to wiggle out of this. It seems that Richer Sounds and JL seem to be doing the right thing, Curry's just need a little bit more of a push. Thing to remember is they have not said no, but are saying they want to resolve it, which to me is they are admitting they are in the wrong. That's all we need. Is there any chance you could post their actual reply for us to see their wording as it may help to go forward.

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@ewanstancarr wrote:

I would reply you will listen but remind the retailer that under the Oct 2015 European Consumer regs they are responsible for the misrepresentation and if Samsungs resolution is a free Smart Things connect worth £50 that still will not enable the TV to be connected the IOT, I would say no thanks because it does not resolve the situation. If you look back another member  @daleski75 was offered the Hub from Samsung which he declined as a solution and was given £550 + in vouchers from Curry's. They again are trying their best to wiggle out of this. It seems that Richer Sounds and JL seem to be doing the right thing, Curry's just need a little bit more of a push. Thing to remember is they have not said no, but are saying they want to resolve it, which to me is they are admitting they are in the wrong. That's all we need. Is there any chance you could post their actual reply for us to see their wording as it may help to go forward.

Thanks

Paul

I don't have written response yet which I will insist upon. Retailer is JL. Yes I understand about the misrepresentation so won't   be letting JL off the hook. And yes, I suspect Samsung will offer me a free connect. If you can repoint me at limitations of the Smartthings connect that would help. I will share formal response from JL when I get it. I have only progressed this by phone  after chasing my initial (written) correspondence which was left unanswered

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@ewanstancarr wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@ewanstancarr wrote:

Thanks

Paul

I don't have written response yet which I will insist upon. Retailer is JL. Yes I understand about the misrepresentation so won't   be letting JL off the hook. And yes, I suspect Samsung will offer me a free connect. If you can repoint me at limitations of the Smartthings connect that would help. I will share formal response from JL when I get it. I have only progressed this by phone  after chasing my initial (written) correspondence which was left unanswered

The Samsung Smart Things hub is a way to control the IOT with your smart phone. You are not able to connect your TV to the hub without the Smart Connect Dongle which Samsung are not now supplying. That means the ability to control the iOT from your TV as advertised is nill. So the hub is useless if you want to use the TV as the center of you smart IOT which their sites said you would be able to do with the free dongle.

It may be worth asking them the direct question, do they accept now that the web information is incorrect and therefore t. It would be interesting to ask them if they now accept that the information on the wep page was and still is incorrect and they misrepresented the product, as per the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regs. It will now be very interesting to see their response, and how they reply to that.

Paul

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

But you tried with an external player (not iplayer BBC) on HDMI? 

People were unable to get hlg work with Samsung but it worked with sony and Panasonic, can anyone confirm if 20!6 Samsung sets work with direct TV via HDMI

https://www.avforums.com/threads/the-bbc-claim-that-the-roku-3810eu-has-support-for-hlg.2140565/

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

But you tried with an external player (not iplayer BBC) on HDMI? 

People were unable to get hlg work with Samsung but it worked with sony and Panasonic, can anyone confirm if 20!6 Samsung sets work with direct TV via HDMI

https://www.avforums.com/threads/the-bbc-claim-that-the-roku-3810eu-has-support-for-hlg.2140565/

Hlg HEVC does not work on 2016 or 2015 Samsung TV's. It does work on LG and Panasonic 2016 models, full stop. That is why this thread is here!

I have tried with external player using HDMI 2.2 which passes through HDR10 which my  KS9500 recognises, but it will not recognise HLG HEVC samples.

Paul

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
Not Real. HLG works in 2016 models on USB and broadcast. The problem ha if works on HDMI.
Your esternal device support HLG? Yes or not? If not is normal that Tv don't recognize sample.
Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:
Not Real. HLG works in 2016 models on USB and broadcast. The problem ha if works on HDMI.
Your esternal device support HLG? Yes or not? If not is normal that Tv don't recognize sample.

Who are you???????????

Are you an employee of Samsung???????

You are talking rubbish!!!!!!!!!

HlG HEVC does not work on 2016 Samsung TV's full stop!!!!!!!!!!!

HlG does work on You Tube VP9!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That means the only broadcast HLG BBC Iplayer does not work on 2015, 2016 Samsung models, i.e. KS and JS. 

Please accept what we are saying!!! and stopn trying to muddy the waters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

Who are you???????????

Are you an employee of Samsung???????

You are talking rubbish!!!!!!!!!

HlG HEVC does not work on 2016 Samsung TV's full stop!!!!!!!!!!!

HlG does work on You Tube VP9!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That means the only broadcast HLG BBC Iplayer does not work on 2015, 2016 Samsung models, i.e. KS and JS. 

Please accept what we are saying!!! and stopn trying to muddy the waters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Whoever he is but fact remains that till now None of the Samsung set support HLG for DirecTV via HDMI, havent even seen a report of 2017 set supporting HLG

0 Likes