Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 30-01-2018 05:10 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Below is  further response from Samsung support following me  asking for definitive statement on HLG and HDR10+ Upgrade.

Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is ****

Unfortunately the decision to stop the updates was taken and at the moment there is no plan to continue any updates. I apologizes if you feel mislead by this, but the manufacturer may remove the support at its desecration.

Once again we would not look to offer an replacement TV or a refund at this time.

If you require additional support, please contact us on 0330 726 7864 (UK) or 0818 717 100 (EIRE), or respond to this email and I will be more than happy to help.

Alternatively, you can visit our Support website where you will find FAQs, How-To-Videos and other useful information for Samsung products.

Kind regards,

David

It is only the retailer who can be taken to court not the manufactuar. That is the problem with the regs. The retailers as we can see only advertised the smart connect which is not being issued by samsung. That does count as misrepresentation. 

Paul

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Below is  further response from Samsung support following me  asking for definitive statement on HLG and HDR10+ Upgrade.

Unfortunately the decision to stop the updates was taken and at the moment there is no plan to continue any updates. I apologizes if you feel mislead by this, but the manufacturer may remove the support at its desecration.

Once again we would not look to offer an replacement TV or a refund at this time.

If you require additional support, please contact us on 0330 726 7864 (UK) or 0818 717 100 (EIRE), or respond to this email and I will be more than happy to help.

Alternatively, you can visit our Support website where you will find FAQs, How-To-Videos and other useful information for Samsung products.

Kind regards,

David

Posted this response in the 2 main avforums thrreads for the ks 7/8/9000

0 Likes
CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

Thanks Dale, sent the reply.

Was just thinking, seeing as Watchdog doesn't seem interested, there is a program on BBC Wales called X-Ray which does the same thing as Watchdog but on a smaller scale (doesn't have to be Wales related). Perhaps we could all contact them too with better results?

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

Thanks Dale, sent the reply.

Was just thinking, seeing as Watchdog doesn't seem interested, there is a program on BBC Wales called X-Ray which does the same thing as Watchdog but on a smaller scale (doesn't have to be Wales related). Perhaps we could all contact them too with better results?

Not sure maybe worth a go, the more people that contact CAB and Trading Standards the better though.

0 Likes
Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

I think we should also try tech sites and such as its turning into a true farce will would concern all samsung and potential samsung owners.

0 Likes
Ste_A
Explorer
Options

@AntS wrote:

@Rich2251: I've added you. thanks!

@Simon1980 and @rozel: You guys were already on the list from your previous posts.  ( @rozel: I'm unable to go into the why I haven't heard anything definitive back on this other than "Things are being discussed"... mainly because that's pretty much the answer I get whenever I bring it up at this end.  However, it may or may not interest you and others to know that the list/report was something that was requested of me to do... )

@Anonymous User @AntS I just want to make sure that I'm also on that list.

UE49KS7000 purchased because HLG/HDR10+ was in the news and read it was going to be supported. My TV was delivered early March 2017 and was a current model at the time so its really annoying to learn we may not be getting the advertised features. I could understand if it was a few years old and the hardware couldn't support the features but less than 12 months is taking the pee.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Sent this to what hifi.

Dear What Hifi,

Apologies if this is the incorrect way to contact yourselves but I want to try and bring about some publicity for potentially 100’s of customers who are owners of the KS flagship range of 2016 televisions.

To cut a long story short a significant amount of us have been trying to reach out to Samsung to ask them for an official statement about why HLG is only enabled for broadcasts only and not for streaming content specifically BBC iPlayer despite the television being able to handle this and the feature is also in the current 2017 range of their products which I believe are the Q series.

In addition to this the point was also raised with HDR10+ as this was also meant to be coming out for our televisions and today we have received this official response from Samsung.

Below is further response from Samsung support following me asking for definitive statement on HLG and HDR10+ Upgrade.

Kind regards,

David

As a lot of us brought our KS televisions last year this would mean for the majority Samsung have ended support in under 12 months and a maximum of 18 months.

Because of the above we are trying to get the message out there to see if we can get Samsung to change their stance and to carry on supporting our televisions if the hardware can support the underlying changes.

We would very much appreciate if the above could be considered in a future article and it would also be very much appreciated if you could reach out to Samsung on our behalf to get a more positive message.

If this email is not intended for this email address could I Kindly ask for it to be forwarded to the relevant department.

Kind Regards,

Dale
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Sent the same email to flatpanelshd

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

Kind regards,

David

I think that answers the will we won't we get updates once and for all.

My advise to all. Don't hold your breath in the hope of Samsung releasing an update. 

We should all do everything thing we can get a refund or a replacement as soon as possible. Longer we wait harder it will be to get a refund. Clearly 100 dissatisfied customers is not going to dent Samsung profit. Samsung is a massive company .

0 Likes
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

Aside from pursuing our individual claims I think the least of us can do is spread the word on the review sections of all the big retailers stating how appalling the support is. I fear some of the so called independent electronic sites won't run much as may not like to bite the hand that (ultimately) feeds. 

Yes, us pushing this won't ultimately put a a debt in Samsung profits but let's just do what we can. I run my own business and Samsung has certainly lost me as customer for ever.. I never thought it would ever come to that. Shameful behavior and customer service that is fit for the bin 

0 Likes