Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 30-01-2018 05:04 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

This is the latest reply from Currys after 'escalating' it through Resolved - 

"Thank you for your email dated 26th January 2018.  Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response. 

Please accept my apologies for the ongoing issues that you are having with us. Your email clearly expresses your disappointment and I would like to extend my apologies for any negative impression that may have been created. 

As my colleagues have previously advised, it is the customers prerogative and responsibility to ensure that research is made before making a purchase so that it will suit the customers needs. We expect that any issues that arise to be reported in a reasonable time. 

In regards to the Consumer Rights Act, it does advise that if there has been an issue with mis-selling then this does need to be reported in a suitable time frame. As the TV works within its specifications and has no fault it is fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. 

Please accept my apologies that I am unable to assist you further on this occasion. 

Thank you for taking the time to contact Team knowhow.   

Kind regards, "

Not sure what to reply - the dongle was supposed to be released in 2016 I think? Is there anywhere that says it would be released in 2017 too and that's why I took so long to report it?

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/When-are-we-going-to-get-SmartThings-Tizen-app-fo...

Apologies for the delay in reply but we've spoken to several people about this for you guys and now have a final reply. The official statement on this is:

"We're sorry for the delay. The Samsung SmartThings Extend is currently in a closed beta program and we don't have any further updates at this time. We will continue to pass on your interest in this feature to the appropriate Samsung contacts."

weird I posted this and it disappeared??

0 Likes
Dazeboy
Explorer
Options
Hi @ants add me too the whole situation is out of order I've never bought anything Samsung before until I bought my ks8000 last year after finding out I couldn't watch the 4k BBC iPlayer this was unbelievable the TV cost a fortune and was basically brand new but was now out of date so I'll never make this mistake and make sure my friends don't either
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Ronson808 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

"Thank you for your email dated 26th January 2018.  Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response. 

Please accept my apologies for the ongoing issues that you are having with us. Your email clearly expresses your disappointment and I would like to extend my apologies for any negative impression that may have been created. 

As my colleagues have previously advised, it is the customers prerogative and responsibility to ensure that research is made before making a purchase so that it will suit the customers needs. We expect that any issues that arise to be reported in a reasonable time. 

In regards to the Consumer Rights Act, it does advise that if there has been an issue with mis-selling then this does need to be reported in a suitable time frame. As the TV works within its specifications and has no fault it is fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. 

Please accept my apologies that I am unable to assist you further on this occasion. 

Kind regards, "

Not sure what to reply - the dongle was supposed to be released in 2016 I think? Is there anywhere that says it would be released in 2017 too and that's why I took so long to report it?

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/When-are-we-going-to-get-SmartThings-Tizen-app-fo...

Apologies for the delay in reply but we've spoken to several people about this for you guys and now have a final reply. The official statement on this is:

"We're sorry for the delay. The Samsung SmartThings Extend is currently in a closed beta program and we don't have any further updates at this time. We will continue to pass on your interest in this feature to the appropriate Samsung contacts."

That is strange closed beta so what does this mean from Samsung UK head Office,

Good afternoon Mr ****, I am contacting in response to your communication received to the CEO of Samsung UK. I am sorry to learn of your disappointment following your communication with our customer support team.

With regard to the Smart Things dongle, the decision was made for this to not be released, and I recognise that this has caused disappointment for which I offer my apologies. What I can do is provide a SmartThings Hub to you without charge as a gesture of goodwill. Please let me know if you would like to receive this and I can make the arrangements for you.

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns.

Regards

Description: cid:image007.jpg@01D29292.88FD7C40

Samsung Electronics UK
Samsung House
1000 Hillswood Drive
Chertsey, Surrey, KT16 0PS

It seems different departments have different answers. Does not matter as they have had long enough to supply the dongle, and as Curry's seem to think we should have claimed earlier, which is incorrect anyway.

Paul

0 Likes
Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Ronson808 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

Kind regards, "

That is strange closed beta so what does this mean from Samsung UK head Office,

Good afternoon Mr ****, I am contacting in response to your communication received to the CEO of Samsung UK. I am sorry to learn of your disappointment following your communication with our customer support team.

With regard to the Smart Things dongle, the decision was made for this to not be released, and I recognise that this has caused disappointment for which I offer my apologies. What I can do is provide a SmartThings Hub to you without charge as a gesture of goodwill. Please let me know if you would like to receive this and I can make the arrangements for you.

Regards

Samsung Electronics UK
Samsung House
1000 Hillswood Drive

It seems different departments have different answers. Does not matter as they have had long enough to supply the dongle, and as Curry's seem to think we should have claimed earlier, which is incorrect anyway.

Paul

well the message on the forum was dated 21-09-2017 03:12 PM

and the email is the update, that its not coming, im assuming that was quite recently?

so there we are, quite clear that we were patinetly waiting for the service as it was still being worked on back in september and thats why we are clearly in a reasonable time frame.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

Kind regards, "

They sent me a very similar response, let me dig out my reply.

Bless em, they keep trying!

Time frame there is none for misrepresentation unlike with faulty goods. As far as you are concerned you were giving Samsung a reasonable amount of time to supply the dongle. It was only late 2017 when Samsung were asked when the dongle was going to be delivered that Samsung admitted to no longer supplying said dongle. That was when you then contacted the retailer. The say the TV works within spec it does not, because part of the spec was to be able to control the Internet of things from the TV . You can not as there is no dongle so the TV is not within spec.

Fire something along these lines back to them.

Paul

Here is the Samsung email you use to show when Samsung admitted to no dongle,

Good afternoon Mr K***, I am contacting in response to your communication received to the CEO of Samsung UK. I am sorry to learn of your disappointment following your communication with our customer support team.

Regards

Samsung Electronics UK
Samsung House
1000 Hillswood Drive

Paul

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Possibly they cancelled it right at the last quarter of 2017?

Jay108
Voyager
Options

Below is  further response from Samsung support following me  asking for definitive statement on HLG and HDR10+ Upgrade.

Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is ****

Unfortunately the decision to stop the updates was taken and at the moment there is no plan to continue any updates. I apologizes if you feel mislead by this, but the manufacturer may remove the support at its desecration.

Once again we would not look to offer an replacement TV or a refund at this time.

If you require additional support, please contact us on 0330 726 7864 (UK) or 0818 717 100 (EIRE), or respond to this email and I will be more than happy to help.

Alternatively, you can visit our Support website where you will find FAQs, How-To-Videos and other useful information for Samsung products.

Kind regards,

David

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Below is  further response from Samsung support following me  asking for definitive statement on HLG and HDR10+ Upgrade.

Unfortunately the decision to stop the updates was taken and at the moment there is no plan to continue any updates. I apologizes if you feel mislead by this, but the manufacturer may remove the support at its desecration.

Once again we would not look to offer an replacement TV or a refund at this time.

If you require additional support, please contact us on 0330 726 7864 (UK) or 0818 717 100 (EIRE), or respond to this email and I will be more than happy to help.

Alternatively, you can visit our Support website where you will find FAQs, How-To-Videos and other useful information for Samsung products.

Kind regards,

David

I think that answers the will we won't we get updates once and for all.

Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Kind regards,

David

awful, truly truly awful.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Ronson808 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

Kind regards,

David

awful, truly truly awful.

Utter contempt for us as customers.