Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 30-01-2018 04:04 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

This is from KS refund and might be interesting. It's my comment at the bottom.

Hi All,

Just had the latest reply from John Lewis - very interesting. John Lewis apologise but actually don't offer anything directly although the reply from Samsung talks about supplying a hub. Any thoughts?

"I am contacting you in regards to the issue with the SmartThings dongle with the Samsung UE49KS8000 SUHD HDR 1,000 4K Ultra HD Quantum Dot Smart TV, 49” with Freeview HD, Playstation Now & 360° Design, UHD Premium you bought via ******. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you.We have received feedback from our supplier which is stated below.

"I have spoken to the SmartThings team. They confirm for cases where a
customer has purchased a 2016 TV and were expecting to get it to perform
the functions of a SmartThings hub , SmartThings can provide a hub to
that customer instead.

It should be noted that a SmartThings hub would not deliver the functionality
that the below copy suggested was possible. The originally promised
‘embedded’ SmartThings hub would have delivered control directly from the
TV screen whereas a Hub would need to be controlled from a mobile or
tablet. It is also important to know that control over the TV is limited,
for instance it is not possible to switch the TV ON from standby.

Many of the ‘mis-selling’ enquiries are linked in to other areas with
SmartThings being just one thing that customers feel we have let them down
on (BBC iPlayer HLG and HDR10+). It is however the only thing that would
stand up as mis-selling because it was promised in advertising and remained
so during the retail life of the product. From the enquiries I have looked
at only a small proportion of customers really understood what the
SmartThings extend proposition actually was, in some cases its purpose has
been misinterpreted to the point where the customer thinks that this is
going to give them UHD Content on BBC iPlayer".

Thank you for contacting John Lewis and if you require any further details please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely,"

They have admitted miss selling

"it is however the only thing that would stand up as mis-selling because it was promised in advertising and remained
so during the retail life of the product."

The smart hub they are offering is just a £60 Smart things hub. You will not be able to connect your TV to the Internet of Things without the smart dongle which Samsung have said they are not supplying. That means you were miss sold or the TV was misrepresented as per the consumer regs and you can ask for a replacement or refund. I like the way they are trying to confuse the issue but it is clear in what the are admitting to. I suggest your reply is thank you and as you acknowledge the misrepresentation of your TV , you request a full refund or replacement to the same spec as your TV.

I think you are there,

Paul

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

Hi All,

Just had the latest reply from John Lewis - very interesting. John Lewis apologise but actually don't offer anything directly although the reply from Samsung talks about supplying a hub. Any thoughts?

"I am contacting you in regards to the issue with the SmartThings dongle with the Samsung UE49KS8000 SUHD HDR 1,000 4K Ultra HD Quantum Dot Smart TV, 49” with Freeview HD, Playstation Now & 360° Design, UHD Premium you bought via ******. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you.We have received feedback from our supplier which is stated below.

that customer instead.

Thank you for contacting John Lewis and if you require any further details please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely,"

"it is however the only thing that would stand up as mis-selling because it was promised in advertising and remained

The smart hub they are offering is just a £60 Smart things hub. You will not be able to connect your TV to the Internet of Things without the smart dongle which Samsung have said they are not supplying. That means you were miss sold or the TV was misrepresented as per the consumer regs and you can ask for a replacement or refund. I like the way they are trying to confuse the issue but it is clear in what the are admitting to. I suggest your reply is thank you and as you acknowledge the misrepresentation of your TV , you request a full refund or replacement to the same spec as your TV.

I think you are there,

Paul

It is very condescending email - but this is the admission of guilt so please use this to get the refunds

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

This is the latest reply from Currys after 'escalating' it through Resolved - 

"Thank you for your email dated 26th January 2018.  Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response. 

Please accept my apologies for the ongoing issues that you are having with us. Your email clearly expresses your disappointment and I would like to extend my apologies for any negative impression that may have been created. 

As my colleagues have previously advised, it is the customers prerogative and responsibility to ensure that research is made before making a purchase so that it will suit the customers needs. We expect that any issues that arise to be reported in a reasonable time. 

In regards to the Consumer Rights Act, it does advise that if there has been an issue with mis-selling then this does need to be reported in a suitable time frame. As the TV works within its specifications and has no fault it is fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. 

Please accept my apologies that I am unable to assist you further on this occasion. 

Thank you for taking the time to contact Team knowhow.   

Kind regards, "

Not sure what to reply - the dongle was supposed to be released in 2016 I think? Is there anywhere that says it would be released in 2017 too and that's why I took so long to report it?

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

"Thank you for your email dated 26th January 2018.  Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response. 

Please accept my apologies for the ongoing issues that you are having with us. Your email clearly expresses your disappointment and I would like to extend my apologies for any negative impression that may have been created. 

As my colleagues have previously advised, it is the customers prerogative and responsibility to ensure that research is made before making a purchase so that it will suit the customers needs. We expect that any issues that arise to be reported in a reasonable time. 

In regards to the Consumer Rights Act, it does advise that if there has been an issue with mis-selling then this does need to be reported in a suitable time frame. As the TV works within its specifications and has no fault it is fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. 

Please accept my apologies that I am unable to assist you further on this occasion. 

Kind regards, "

Not sure what to reply - the dongle was supposed to be released in 2016 I think? Is there anywhere that says it would be released in 2017 too and that's why I took so long to report it?

They sent me a very similar response, let me dig out my reply.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

Hi All,

that customer instead.

Yours sincerely,"

I think you are there,

Paul

It is very condescending email - but this is the admission of guilt so please use this to get the refunds

All good though, with Richer Sounds, Looks like John Lewis, just need Curry's and the other smaller retailers. I new they would fight but they had no defence. So looks like all the KS owners who were influenced buy the one connect dongle I think fill your boots.

Paul

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

Kind regards, "

Use this mate.

Dear Customer Service Team,

The time taken for myself to get back to Currys bears absolutely no relevance to my rights as a consumer and the law which Currys MUST adhere to.

The Consumer Rights Act states you have up to 6 years in which to report a product as being faulty, not fit for purpose and in this case NOT AS DESCRIBED so I am well within this time frame so by law you have to offer me a full refund or replacement at no cost to myself as you have mis-sold the TV as it should of come with a Smart Things Extender but clearly did not.

If this cannot be resolved I will be forced to take Currys to the small claims court for not obeying the consumer rights act for mis-selling products and refusing my statutory rights as a consumer to ask for a full refund or replacement within 6 years of purchase.

Regards,

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

Kind regards, "

They sent me a very similar response, let me dig out my reply.

Bless em, they keep trying!

Time frame there is none for misrepresentation unlike with faulty goods. As far as you are concerned you were giving Samsung a reasonable amount of time to supply the dongle. It was only late 2017 when Samsung were asked when the dongle was going to be delivered that Samsung admitted to no longer supplying said dongle. That was when you then contacted the retailer. The say the TV works within spec it does not, because part of the spec was to be able to control the Internet of things from the TV . You can not as there is no dongle so the TV is not within spec.

Fire something along these lines back to them.

Paul

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Dealing with team know how is frankly a waste of time I only started getting semi decent responses when I emailed the CEO directly with my grieveances.

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@Rich2251: I've added you. thanks!

@Simon1980 and @rozel: You guys were already on the list from your previous posts.  ( @rozel: I'm unable to go into the why I haven't heard anything definitive back on this other than "Things are being discussed"... mainly because that's pretty much the answer I get whenever I bring it up at this end.  However, it may or may not interest you and others to know that the list/report was something that was requested of me to do... )

Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

Kind regards, "

21-09-2017 03:12 PM

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/When-are-we-going-to-get-SmartThings-Tizen-app-fo...

Hi @Tezz.

Apologies for the delay in reply but we've spoken to several people about this for you guys and now have a final reply. The official statement on this is:

"We're sorry for the delay. The Samsung SmartThings Extend is currently in a closed beta program and we don't have any further updates at this time. We will continue to pass on your interest in this feature to the appropriate Samsung contacts."

0 Likes