Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 30-01-2018 03:18 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Simon1980
Journeyman
Options

HDR10+ and hlg bbci player . Me too.

Rich2251
First Poster
Options

@AntS I have just signed up to the forum to help with this topic, please add me to the list. I have a 55KS8000, I think Samsung have really let us down with a number of things the IOT functionality that was promised but never emerged but more importantly the limited HLG and lack of HDR10+. I think it is fair enough if the hardware can't handle this but by all accounts it can and just needs an update. 

Like many others have mentioned a TV upwards of £1500 is a big investment and will last us a few years, when after one year or so it is out of date, it's worrying especially when many of the competition brands are having theirs updated.

I hope Samsung come to their senses and see how damaging this all is to their brand and their loyal customer base. We are the ones that will be making our next TV purchase and many of us it seems will be changing to a different manufacturer if Samsung don't sort out their errors.

I feel that the issue is not that these things havnt been included but Samsung have stated functionality and updates were coming and this lead us to make a purchase decision on these points, the marketing was vague as it always is but HLG was promised. My last TV was a Samsung and originally I had planned to stick with the brand but going forward I will be rethinking on all my electronic purchases. However as we have only had half of the story from Samsung maybe there are plans to update everything but they just arnt not communicating the information correctly to customers or retailers.

Lets hope that Samsung help their customer base and give us back their trust that what they promise in their marketing department is backed up by action from the technical side. I know the marketing didnt go into detail but thats the issue any company can make vague claims and then refer to the lack of fine print afterwards when nothing happens.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

These are my personal thoughts about this whole saga.

Samsung will never enable HLG streaming support as they said its enabled it for broadcasts only.

Samsung will never enable HDR10+ in the UK as there is little to no content available

Samsung will ride this one out with no updates and our 2014/2015/2016 televisions are now in effect obsolete

Samsung will never tell us the reasons why our JS/KS range are obsolete so quickly

Samsung will continue to release new tv's to only drop features and/or never release them

Samsung will continue to walk all over us as consumers

Simon1980
Journeyman
Options
KS9000 btw
CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Samsung will never enable HLG streaming support as they said its enabled it for broadcasts only.

Samsung will never enable HDR10+ in the UK as there is little to no content available

Samsung will ride this one out with no updates and our 2014/2015/2016 televisions are now in effect obsolete

Samsung will never tell us the reasons why our JS/KS range are obsolete so quickly

Samsung will continue to release new tv's to only drop features and/or never release them

Totally agree - even if this list reaches 5,000... hell even 10,000 users, Samsung will still ignore them as 10,000 is a small percentage of total products they shift per year. 

I still haven't heard from Currys and I'm a little beyond caring as I know I'm going to be stuck with an obsolete TV in the end. 

I absolutely HATE Samsung. 

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Totally agree - even if this list reaches 5,000... hell even 10,000 users, Samsung will still ignore them as 10,000 is a small percentage of total products they shift per year. 

I still haven't heard from Currys and I'm a little beyond caring as I know I'm going to be stuck with an obsolete TV in the end. 

I absolutely HATE Samsung. 

Did you email the currys/dixons ceo?

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options
Thank you @AntS.
rozel
Voyager
Options

@AntS - This is really unbelievable. I am not sure if I'm on your list, but please add me. I bought a UE65KS9000 in December 2016 and like many others am apalled that it is out of date already. I am really upset about the lack of the promised dongle and also the ridiculous state of affairs surrounding the lack of HLG on BBC's IPlayer. The fact that no official reponse, answering the concerns expressed on this and other forums, leads me to the conclusion that Samsung do not care. Therefore I too will not be buying another piece of kit from Samsung ever again. Can you answer why you haven't heard back from Samsung please?

0 Likes
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

@AntS wrote:

@BrokenHearted and @bp76: I've added you. Thanks!

@Neil81 and @ne_on: You guys are already on the list.

Ants, Can you confirm that I am. I started the thread. I am still in communication with my retailer. I understand my retailer is looking at this more holistically also ie its relationship with Samsung

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Samsung simply don't care if they did this thread would not exist.

0 Likes