Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 25-01-2018 01:30 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@ukpetey wrote:

@AntS wrote:

paul1277 wrote: 

@AntS can you comfirm that the KS 2016 sets will be able to recieve the olympics HLG 4k from the broadcast on bbc (not Ipayer) as shown in the link. You did post that the HLG update for the 2016 sets supports broadcast which is what this will be. It's only a few weeks off.

Thanks

Paul

I can confirm that with the latest firmware installed, KS 2016 sets are able to receive HLG on Broadcast services. Can't confirm if the BBC are indeed broadcasting the Olympics in HLG or how they'd deliver it though.

What, even though there are no actual HLG broadcast services? Which I’m sure you, everyone on this forum, and Samsung are all fully aware of. It doesn’t matter how many times the ‘company line’ is trotted out, it won’t make it true. I’d rather Samsung enabled something which we actually can get, than something that is yet to exist. The hole they are digging grows ever larger. 

can you imagine if the BBC use iplayer for the world cup in 4k and ks set owners cant use the service....

Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@ukpetey wrote:

John Lewis Managing Director: Ms Paula Nickolds

email: *****

———

Currys - Dixon’s Carphone PLC Chief Executive: Mr Sebastian James

personal twitter: https://twitter.com/@DCSebJ

my tips - always be factual, polite, concise. Tell them you only bought the tv because their website said whatever it said, and that their staff are not following the relevant consumer laws. Quote those laws. Look like you know what you are talking about, even drop in a link to the relevant law on the government website - it’ll show you have done your homework. And check your spelling!

thats the fella I was looking for, many thanks! ill email him now.

yep, exactly, explain the setup and be friendly. its pretty clear to anyone that samsung is treating us awfully and potentially misselling so hopefully someone higher up the chain who cares about the brand and understands keeping purchasers is just as important as getting new ones might respond differently.

sadly my spell checker on here doesnt work, but my email does :manembarrassed:

snosig
Explorer
Options
I bought a 65" KS8000 from RGBDirect in May 2017. Sent them an email 14 days ago where I gave them 14 days to respond to my claims. Still not a word.
However I could not find any mentions of the SmartThings functionality I'm their advertisements or on the product page at the time so I'm not sure how to proceed. I personally did a lot of research before buying the tv and Samsung's press releases and marketing material was very clear on those things. Therefore I rather blame Samsung, not RGBDirect, but I have no idea how to take this further.
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@snosig wrote:
I bought a 65" KS8000 from RGBDirect in May 2017. Sent them an email 14 days ago where I gave them 14 days to respond to my claims. Still not a word.
However I could not find any mentions of the SmartThings functionality I'm their advertisements or on the product page at the time so I'm not sure how to proceed. I personally did a lot of research before buying the tv and Samsung's press releases and marketing material was very clear on those things. Therefore I rather blame Samsung, not RGBDirect, but I have no idea how to take this further.

I think you will struggle too be honest as you cannot really claim mis-selling for broken promises, cold hard evidence is needed, have you tried checking web archives to see if there is any mention of the dongle on an older web page for RGBDirect?

snosig
Explorer
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@snosig wrote:

I think you will struggle too be honest as you cannot really claim mis-selling for broken promises, cold hard evidence is needed, have you tried checking web archives to see if there is any mention of the dongle on an older web page for RGBDirect?

I have gone through web archives but not found any evidence of the advertising the SmartThings feature for this specific model. I have found it for some similar TV's but not this one.

But what about samsung, can they state whatever they want in their press releases and advertising material and then don't deliver without any repercussions? Shouldn't they be the ones responsible, as the manifacturer?

JTE
Navigator
Options

@BBCiPlayer Any news on whether Winter Olympics will be available in UHD. Vivid colours against a back drop of white snow. Surely made for UHD.

Hi John, no news just yet but keep an eye on the website and on the R&D site as the latest info will be posted here when it's available: bbc.in/2BqGvao

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@snosig wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

@snosig wrote:

I have gone through web archives but not found any evidence of the advertising the SmartThings feature for this specific model. I have found it for some similar TV's but not this one.

But what about samsung, can they state whatever they want in their press releases and advertising material and then don't deliver without any repercussions? Shouldn't they be the ones responsible, as the manifacturer?

Samsung yes they should be but the retailer cannot be as it was never advertised on their website.

AntS
Options

Hi guys.

Just a friendly reminder that we extend the same protection to non-Community and non-Samsung folks as we do to you when it comes to public posting of personal info. :robothappy: There's also a bit about it in Acceptable Use in the Community Terms of Service here.

ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

@ukpetey wrote:

John Lewis Managing Director: Ms Paula Nickolds

———

Currys - Dixon’s Carphone PLC Chief Executive: Mr Sebastian James

personal twitter: https://twitter.com/@DCSebJ

my tips - always be factual, polite, concise. Tell them you only bought the tv because their website said whatever it said, and that their staff are not following the relevant consumer laws. Quote those laws. Look like you know what you are talking about, even drop in a link to the relevant law on the government website - it’ll show you have done your homework. And check your spelling!

It appears that the email addresses have been starred out by the mods. You can find them for yourself on this publicly available website:

https://ceoemail.com

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@snosig wrote:

talk to citizens advice bureau, also SMartThings is advertised here, size is diffrenet but RGB cannot lie that only 78 supports this not 65, as everyone claimed that all 2016 sets will be supported

http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/products/television/led-tv/samsung/ue78ks9000