Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 24-01-2018 08:43 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@sneakyvtr wrote:

I certainly have, even my partner looked up from her phone and I quote “that is the best picture I have ever seen”. She did not know what it was! 

It was a jaw drop moment for me, so much so I left feedback like they requested 15/10 from me.

Awesome. I have the Planet Earth 2 4k Blu-Ray, if you don't have a 4k Blu-Ray player yet get one! :smiling-face:

And everyone reading this, please don't forget all the brilliant HDR content for free on YouTube, now that they have a proper filter on the website if you are on a normal PC (it took them a year to add it), it's possible to find the 0.04% of videos with "HDR" in the which are actually HDR :smiling-face:

YouTubeHDRFilter.png

(old screenshot. Today's numbers are 1,350 real HDR videos out of 3.3 million results. Try finding those needles in that haystack, it used to be a nightmare).

EDIT: I forgot to mention the other reason I posted. The Winter Olympics start soon. They are definitely going to be available to broadcasters in HDR. (see here: http://www.techradar.com/news/2018-winter-olympics-will-be-slaloming-its-way-onto-your-tv-in-4k-hdr ). No word yet if the BBC will broadcast it in HDR, or make it available in iPlayer in HDR.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@sneakyvtr wrote:

I certainly have, even my partner looked up from her phone and I quote “that is the best picture I have ever seen”. She did not know what it was! 

It was a jaw drop moment for me, so much so I left feedback like they requested 15/10 from me.

Awesome. I have the Planet Earth 2 4k Blu-Ray, if you don't have a 4k Blu-Ray player yet get one! :smiling-face:

And everyone reading this, please don't forget all the brilliant HDR content for free on YouTube, now that they have a proper filter on the website if you are on a normal PC (it took them a year to add it), it's possible to find the 0.04% of videos with "HDR" in the which are actually HDR :smiling-face:

YouTubeHDRFilter.png

(old screenshot. Today's numbers are 1,350 real HDR videos out of 3.3 million results. Try finding those needles in that haystack, it used to be a nightmare).

EDIT: I forgot to mention the other reason I posted. The Winter Olympics start soon. They are definitely going to be available to broadcasters in HDR. (see here: http://www.techradar.com/news/2018-winter-olympics-will-be-slaloming-its-way-onto-your-tv-in-4k-hdr ). No word yet if the BBC will broadcast it in HDR, or make it available in iPlayer in HDR.

@mrtickle wrote:

@sneakyvtr wrote:

YouTubeHDRFilter.png

@AntS can you comfirm that the KS 2016 sets will be able to recieve the olympics HLG 4k from the broadcast on bbc (not Ipayer) as shown in the link. You did post that the HLG update for the 2016 sets supports broadcast which is what this will be. It's only a few weeks off.

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@AntS can you comfirm that the KS 2016 sets will be able to recieve the olympics HLG 4k from the broadcast on bbc (not Ipayer) as shown in the link. You did post that the HLG update for the 2016 sets supports broadcast which is what this will be. It's only a few weeks off.

Thanks

Paul

To be honest I think that if the BBC were going to broadcast live television 4k HLG from satellite, surely they would have announced it by now. Maybe they will do tests like they did one year with HD at Wimbledon. But that was a long time before they formally launched the "BBC HD" tv channel.

Even Sky with all their bandwidth only have a single 4k (SDR, because their boxes still can't do HDR) channel, and it's buried inside a Red Button application so you can't even schedule recordings from it.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

Thanks

Paul

To be honest I think that if the BBC were going to broadcast live television 4k HLG from satellite, surely they would have announced it by now. Maybe they will do tests like they did one year with HD at Wimbledon. But that was a long time before they formally launched the "BBC HD" tv channel.

Even Sky with all their bandwidth only have a single 4k (SDR, because their boxes still can't do HDR) channel, and it's buried inside a Red Button application so you can't even schedule recordings from it.

The way the link read to me was it was going to be over the air, not satellite like sky. That would mean on Free view.

Paul

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options
This will almost certainly only be on iplayer. I don't know of free view doing 4k let alone hdr and virgin/sky don't support it either do they. How ironic that a Korean company wont be able to display the winter Olympics from their own country...
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

Thanks

Paul

The way the link read to me was it was going to be over the air, not satellite like sky. That would mean on Free view.

Paul

Well that's even easier to answer - there is no bandwidth space for 4k broadcasts on digital terrestrial in the UK! In broadcasting, the term "over the air" includes both satellite and terrestrial.

If it ever happens, it would be satellite first, years before terrestrial. Even that would have people screaming in protest because the BBC is publically funded. Things aren't like in the early 2000s when people were happy for the BBC to experiment with HD with precious public money.

This is why they are concentrating their efforts on the non-broadcasting "catchup" iplayer version of 4k content.

0 Likes
matlough
Explorer
Options

@Chris325 wrote:

JL Head Office have just basically told me to foxtrot oscar. Richer Sounds it is then for my next TV! 

I’m STILL waiting for a reply! What specifically did they say? Are you going to pursue?

0 Likes
richardg
Explorer
Options

Richer Sounds offered to swap my 2017 TV with no questions asked. I was on the point of doing this when the iPlayer upgrade came through but full marks to RS for their attitude. That's why I am going back there today to buy a new AVR and UHD BluRay player. They deserve my business.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@richardg wrote:

Richer Sounds offered to swap my 2017 TV with no questions asked. I was on the point of doing this when the iPlayer upgrade came through but full marks to RS for their attitude. That's why I am going back there today to buy a new AVR and UHD BluRay player. They deserve my business.

Normally JL have a good customer service. So little surprised when I read the post yesterday that JL are not offering anything.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@richardg wrote:

Normally JL have a good customer service. So little surprised when I read the post yesterday that JL are not offering anything.

I think by the end of this if there ever is one, richersounds will be getting a lot more business thanks to their excellent customer service.