Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 23-01-2018 03:48 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@sneakyvtr wrote:

As far as I am aware it is not something a BBC iPlayer update can do without a firmware update issued from Samsung.

That is only speculation, and I don't think it is true. 

@sneakyvtr wrote:

Several members of this forum have been told by Samsung will not be happening.

No, only in a statement full of lies, as discussed yesterday. If the first part of the sentence is a lie, and the second part of the sentence says it won't happen, you can't trust it.

The only public statement was the "we have no plans at present" HOLDING POSITION statement. This was their initial statment and it is not a "won't be happening" statement, and it should not be read as such - particularly as the outcome we want most is the working system.

interestingly on my LG OLED major apps (including iPlayer) can be updated independent of the firmware, good riddnace from Samsung ecosystem

Hi @hdmi how does the LG compare to the Samsung ks, and does the brightness an issue with HDR

Thanks

Paul

Billion times better- PQ pops due to contrast, if sets are calibrated then they can hit 650 nits of brightness which is more than enough for most scenes, plus they have dynamic tone mapping fo HDR10

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

So we're at 138 pages now and still nothing from Samsung, shall we have a sweep stake for how many pages this thread will be before we get a response from Samsung? if ever!

I reckon 1,627,000 pages :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

Ste_A
Explorer
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

So we're at 138 pages now and still nothing from Samsung, shall we have a sweep stake for how many pages this thread will be before we get a response from Samsung? if ever!

They clearly don't care about their customers, I think they see their customers as the enemy. If I was a potential customer and saw this forum I would stay well away from Samsung, you would think that would bother them but clearly not.

I hope the moderators are applying some pressure because I know I would!!

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Ste_A wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

They clearly don't care about their customers, I think they see their customers as the enemy. If I was a potential customer and saw this forum I would stay well away from Samsung, you would think that would bother them but clearly not.

I hope the moderators are applying some pressure because I know I would!!

Moderators can only do a tiny amount, people voting with their wallets could make them listen but this is a tiny drop in the ocean compared to their total sales so Samung will carry on doing what they are doing and making their flagship tv's obsolete after 12 months or less.

Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@sneakyvtr wrote:

As far as I am aware it is not something a BBC iPlayer update can do without a firmware update issued from Samsung.

That is only speculation, and I don't think it is true. 

@sneakyvtr wrote:

Several members of this forum have been told by Samsung will not be happening.

No, no, no. :smiling-face: That was only in an answer full of lies, as discussed yesterday (the "we have delivered as promised, please note that we've since decided that we only promised half of it" answer).

If the first part of the sentence is a lie, and the second part of the sentence says it won't happen, you can't trust it.

The only public statement here was the "we have no plans at present" HOLDING POSITION statement. This was their initial statment and it is not a "won't be happening" statement, and it should not be read as such - particularly as the outcome we want most is the working system. And it's not their final position.

"In regards to your query, we have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players. Should there be any updates regarding this matter, we will keep our customers updated."

now I think to suggest thats a holding statement is a strange interpretation. I agree they have not said categorically that it wont ever happen, but it will indeed take a change in their current plans for this to happen and nothing has suggested this is even being considered. So until they announce a change in their position, I think we can take their word that its not going to happen. thats a reasonable interpretation of their comments, they havent said anything to suggest we should hold out any hope, the opposite in fact, they havent said a thing to suggest its being considered.

the thing that irks me about all this is that I did indeed do plenty of research and I read up every single piece of information I could find online to help me make this decision. now it seems im being told that the words of the seller, currys and the words from samsung themselves cant be relied on to make a purchase. now I know the law is bizarre at times, but what more can a consumer do but to trust these two sources? is it really that unreasonable for me to expect the services listed on both sites? am I really having to spend my time fighting with currys customer service (as yet no reply) or samsung about just getting what I was told I was getting?

its a messed up situation when samsung feel they can just do this and so far from what others have said, currys are hardly covering themselves in glory with their squirming.

im waiting for a reply from currys to see where I go next. I sent the links from their own tech talk site and from samsungs press releases as well as other information about HLG and hdr10+ etc

im expecting the worst as these days customer service feels more like a way to squirm out of your basic duties to save a few £££. To think how much currys and samsung spend on advertising for new customers, they should think about the current ones who have already made the purchasing decision as we are the ones who are actually spending the money with them both, but that takes forward thinking.

Chris325
Explorer
Options

JL Head Office have just basically told me to foxtrot oscar. Richer Sounds it is then for my next TV! 

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Chris325 wrote:

JL Head Office have just basically told me to foxtrot oscar. Richer Sounds it is then for my next TV! 

That sucks so much for JL's customer service! How far have you taken it so far?

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@Chris325 wrote:

That sucks so much for JL's customer service! How far have you taken it so far?

What did JL actually state? 

0 Likes
Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@Chris325 wrote:

they were supposed to be the decent guys!

yes find out on what grounds they are refusing...

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Chris325... I don't know how many hoops you've jumped through to get to that refusal by JL, but if you've been following this thread you should know to expect to refute many, many attempts by the retailers to put you off, before they start to take you seriously.

You just have to know the law IS on your side and don't take NO for an answer.