Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 23-01-2018 11:34 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@amokuk wrote:

I think its safe to say that everyone on this board wants you to get currys to give you a full refund. People are registering on here over this thread. If we could get jl rs and currys to accept responsibility people are in a great place to start taking their own sets back. 

Its unreal that samsung have still not issued a statement regarding this...

I thinlk RS have offered someone replacemnet with Q8  for misselling but that should not be the deciding criteria - next action should be based on advice from trading standards

0 Likes
Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options
Hi,

I have a UE55KS9000 and the latest firmware update was 1208.2 in Nov-2017, nothing changed after that!

and i can confirm that this doesnt support bbciplayer HLG - i have only re-checked it on saturday!
0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@sneakyvtr wrote:

As far as I am aware it is not something a BBC iPlayer update can do without a firmware update issued from Samsung.

That is only speculation, and I don't think it is true. 

@sneakyvtr wrote:

Several members of this forum have been told by Samsung will not be happening.

No, no, no. :smiling-face: That was only in an answer full of lies, as discussed yesterday (the "we have delivered as promised, please note that we've since decided that we only promised half of it" answer).

If the first part of the sentence is a lie, and the second part of the sentence says it won't happen, you can't trust it.

The only public statement here was the "we have no plans at present" HOLDING POSITION statement. This was their initial statment and it is not a "won't be happening" statement, and it should not be read as such - particularly as the outcome we want most is the working system. And it's not their final position.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@sneakyvtr wrote:

As far as I am aware it is not something a BBC iPlayer update can do without a firmware update issued from Samsung.

@sneakyvtr wrote:

No, only in a statement full of lies, as discussed yesterday. If the first part of the sentence is a lie, and the second part of the sentence says it won't happen, you can't trust it.

The only public statement was the "we have no plans at present" HOLDING POSITION statement. This was their initial statment and it is not a "won't be happening" statement, and it should not be read as such - particularly as the outcome we want most is the working system.

interestingly on my LG OLED major apps (including iPlayer) can be updated independent of the firmware, good riddnace from Samsung ecosystem

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@sneakyvtr wrote:

@sneakyvtr wrote:

No, only in a statement full of lies, as discussed yesterday. If the first part of the sentence is a lie, and the second part of the sentence says it won't happen, you can't trust it.

The only public statement was the "we have no plans at present" HOLDING POSITION statement. This was their initial statment and it is not a "won't be happening" statement, and it should not be read as such - particularly as the outcome we want most is the working system.

interestingly on my LG OLED major apps (including iPlayer) can be updated independent of the firmware, good riddnace from Samsung ecosystem

That's a much better way of doing it and it makes it much easier to roll out updates without updating the firmware each and every time.

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@sneakyvtr wrote:

@sneakyvtr wrote:

That's a much better way of doing it and it makes it much easier to roll out updates without updating the firmware each and every time.

no wonder LGE are beating samsung in one of the fastest growing segment of electronic gadgets - 4K TV

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@hdmi wrote:

That's how it is with our Samsung TVs, too. It would be ludicrous if the apps and the firmware were not separate, and they are separate.

Firmware downloads do not contain any Apps and they never have. The Apps are entirely downloaded from the App section of the so-called "Smart" hub, where you can see each App's version, you can uninstall it, and you can re-install it.

But sometimes, a feature offered by the TV needs to be present in the firmware, and then all the Apps can take advantage of it. The claim being made by the BBC is of this type. They are claiming that the firmware needs to be upgraded first, to offer their iPlayer app the HLG streaming support.

You will remember that the lucky 2017 model owners who did get streaming iPlayer HLG had their updated BBC app at a different time to their firmware updates. Once both are upgraded, normally the firmware second because people use the app every day and it updates itself at startup every time, then it just works. You might be forgiven for thinking the firmware contained the app, but it doesn't :smiling-face:

The BBC partly caused this confusion by using wooly language ("you need a firmware upgrade to get 4K iPlayer") but the fact is that the firmware upgrade is needed for the OS level functions, which iPlayer needs, it is not the thing which upgraded the version of the IPlayer app.

The same thing happened when support for VP9.2 was added. This is the codec that YouTube uses for its HDR streams. Support for the VP9.2 codec was added in firmware version 1152 (which was not release in the UK, so we got it in version 1154.0 on 8th Dec 2016). On that day we could then enjoy all the beautiful brilliant HDR content on YouTube website (from the TV browser which was not updated) and the App (which is just a thin wrapper for www.youtube.com/tv)  and it doubled the size of my HDR demo collection instantly!

All that was needed was for the TV's OS to support VP9.2, then all parts of the TV could use it.

HTH

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

This is the way Samsung does it too. 

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

That's how it is with our Samsung TVs, too. It would be ludicrous if the apps and the firmware were not separate, and they are separate.

Firmware downloads do not contain any Apps and they never have. The Apps are entirely downloaded from the App section of the so-called "Smart" hub, where you can see each App's version, you can uninstall it, and you can re-install it.

But sometimes, a feature offered by the TV needs to be present in the firmware, and then all the Apps can take advantage of it. The claim being made by the BBC is of this type. They are claiming that the firmware needs to be upgraded first, to offer their iPlayer app the HLG streaming support.

You will remember that the lucky 2017 model owners who did get streaming iPlayer HLG had their updated BBC app at a different time to their firmware updates. Once both are upgraded, normally the firmware second because people use the app every day and it updates itself at startup every time, then it just works. You might be forgiven for thinking the firmware contained the app, but it doesn't :smiling-face:

The BBC partly caused this confusion by using wooly language ("you need a firmware upgrade to get 4K iPlayer") but the fact is that the firmware upgrade is needed for the OS level functions, which iPlayer needs, it is not the thing which upgraded the version of the IPlayer app.

The same thing happened when support for VP9.2 was added. This is the codec that YouTube uses for its HDR streams. Support for the VP9.2 codec was added in firmware version 1152 (which was not release in the UK, so we got it in version 1154.0 on 8th Dec 2016). On that day we could then enjoy all the beautiful brilliant HDR content on YouTube website (from the TV browser which was not updated) and the App (which is just a thin wrapper for www.youtube.com/tv)  and it doubled the size of my HDR demo collection instantly!

All that was needed was for the TV's OS to support VP9.2, then all parts of the TV could use it.

HTH

I had KS9000 since July 2017 never had any reminder to update the individual apps (did get prompt update to later firmware in sept and november ) but on LGE C7 when I tried to launch iplayer and youtube, got prompt to update and then I went on to watch blue planet in all its glory in HLG, got a prompt to update FW later on

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@sneakyvtr wrote:

@sneakyvtr wrote:

Hi @hdmi how does the LG compare to the Samsung ks, and does the brightness an issue with HDR

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes