Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 22-01-2018 08:47 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

If you do want to except I would ask for a refund rather than voucher. Then buy from J l.

Paul

Oh yes. The very idea of having to make yet another purchase from them, with all their denials if anything went wrong with it.

You'd have to be insane.

If you respond to them it might be useful mentioning Richer Sounds and JL that they have agreed to replace with the same and even better which equates to a superb customer service.

Paul

0 Likes
sneakyvtr
Pioneer
Options

I had a 55" KS9000 so indeed bendy. To be honest I just want a brilliant picture with the features promised. I like the idea of the LG OLED's as at the time of purchase these were considerably more expensive than they are now but by my own admission my knowledge on the current televisions is slim.

Out of the current 55" line up around £1.5-£2k would you opt for their first offer of the QE55Q8C or something else? I am not sure if its Tizen I fell out with or just my TV runs awfully. Sometimes takes 5 minutes after initial turn on to be able to access the smart home hub or have to pull the power cable out the back and go for a retry.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Waiting on some more answers from Curry's before making a final decision and the voucher this suits me fine because I still think the Samsung TV is excellent picture quality wise despite not supporting various formats.

I can then move the Samsung TV into our garage conversion, use the voucher to sweet talk the wife into buying a 65" LG OLED tv for our living room so I get to keep television and I won't care if it doesn't support HLG as it will no longer be my primary tv.

Definitely still won't be buying any Samsung tv's and will see if I can get cash but if I keep my wife happy and get a better tv anyway then I am happy with that.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

If you do want to except I would ask for a refund rather than voucher. Then buy from J l.

Paul

Oh yes. The very idea of having to make yet another purchase from them, with all their denials if anything went wrong with it.

You'd have to be insane.

If you respond to them it might be useful mentioning Richer Sounds and JL that they have agreed to replace with the same and even better which equates to a superb customer service.

Paul

Richer Sounds are top of my list now for any tv I buy.

Going to hold out for the LG 65C8V and might get a new car whilst waiting lol

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Waiting on some more answers from Curry's before making a final decision and the voucher this suits me fine because I still think the Samsung TV is excellent picture quality wise despite not supporting various formats.

I can then move the Samsung TV into our garage conversion, use the voucher to sweet talk the wife into buying a 65" LG OLED tv for our living room so I get to keep television and I won't care if it doesn't support HLG as it will no longer be my primary tv.

Definitely still won't be buying any Samsung tv's and will see if I can get cash but if I keep my wife happy and get a better tv anyway then I am happy with that.

If you do except make sure you get the free hub that Samsung saidcyou could have.

Paul

0 Likes
CJH26
Navigator
Options

I had to register just for this topic which I have been following with great interest.

Like many here I am fed up with Samsung's empty promises whether it be the IOT dongle, HLG, HDR10+, HDR Game mode etc and am looking to get out.

I purchased my KS7500 from JL in November 2016, I have saved all the relevant pages which prove the miss-selling but I am yet to contact JL. This years Sony XF90 range has my attention but I don't want to go in yet due to lack of reviews etc. Is it feasible to hold off contacting JL till these become available and pricing / reviews are out or should I be contacting them now?

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CJH26 wrote:

I had to register just for this topic which I have been following with great interest.

Like many here I am fed up with Samsung's empty promises whether it be the IOT dongle, HLG, HDR10+, HDR Game mode etc and am looking to get out.

I purchased my KS7500 from JL in November 2016, I have saved all the relevant pages which prove the miss-selling but I am yet to contact JL. This years Sony XF90 range has my attention but I don't want to go in yet due to lack of reviews etc. Is it feasible to hold off contacting JL till these become available and pricing / reviews are out or should I be contacting them now?

Hi, someone else asked the same question and basically you need to report the issue as soon as possible. 

Paul

0 Likes
73henny
Journeyman
Options

What is the best way to contact the retailer? Via their customer service email address or through Which for example?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@73henny wrote:

What is the best way to contact the retailer? Via their customer service email address or through Which for example?

I think the best is to use the Which tool link and then email to both retailer store and head office.

Paul

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

If you do except make sure you get the free hub that Samsung saidcyou could have.

Paul

To be honest, I think that is a 'decent' out of court settlement BUT only if you can make use of both products. I really do think that if this is 'acceptable' then you accept both the Hub and Voucher as compensation from BOTH Samsung (who cancelled SmartThings) and Curry's for Miss-selling.

Its all well and good accepting this - which I think is a fair offer - its basically saying that curry's are refunding you £500+ for not being able t supply the SmartThings - but if you have no use for them, or decide at a later date you change your mind, you will not have a leg to stand on.

If the TV is 'decent' and delivering 90%+ of what you want, then its quite a fair compensation. It may not be exactly what you want but, like you say, that can make a very good '2nd' TV at some point - part of the reason I am not actively seeking compensation and I certainly didn't buy my TV with SmartThings as a consideration. I also know from experience, the grass isn't always greener. Sony seem to be not delivering the full Dolby Vision update they promised, Panasonic's 2016 TV's too aren't getting the HDR10+ update and I believe they also struggled to get the HLG iPlayer too. LG's 2016 sets do seem a bit more 'upgradeable' but then they were built for DV and HDR10 so only adding HLG - not as much as other manufacturers are attempting and its not as if the 2016 LG OLEDs weren't without issues either. Most people are swapping a 2016 for a 2017 model and so it may seem that Samsung are the villains because their 'new' TV is better and with more features. Don't know if they would feel that way if the got a 'dud' and tried to contact their 'customer' support - soon would see things aren't necessarily 'better'. That's not to say Samsung are great - far from it but that most are terrible - especially if you get a 'dud' or have a fault develop later on.

It may well be worth accepting that deal and making do until 2019 if you can. It looks like 2018 is going to be another 'consolidation' year with minor improvements - although we have yet to see what Samsung offer. The Q9S seemed 'impressive' but final release specs and claimed performance can be very very different. I bet the Q9S will be well over-priced too compared to. Also, who needs an 8k screen without HDMI 2.1 - if we eever get 8k devices of course.

Anyway the point I was going to make is that £500+ voucher could be used in the future when HLG and HDR10+ content is more prolific... Prices could be better on 2018 models later too if they impress....