Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 22-01-2018 04:17 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

Here is the summary of my complaint to ASA, this is more of an evidence of misseling by the retailer in the calims court, it is retailers responsibility to sort things not yours as you paid the retailer not Samsung

Dear <Full name>,

Thanks for submitting your complaint to us.

We’ll send you an email with your unique reference number within 3-5 working days.  

Visit our website for further information on how we handle complaints and the action we can take when advertisers don't follow the rules.

A summary of your submitted complaint is detailed below:

Name: <name>

Ad type: Online: Within a company's own, or other type of website

Brand/product: 2016 Samsung SUHD Smart TV

Date: other

Your complaint:
Currys have advertised a new feature called Smart Things for 2016 models of Samsung TVs with below statement on the their website: http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/ How to get SmartThings on your TV You need a new 2016 Samsung SUHD Smart TV, and a SmartThings Extend – a small, USB-like dongle that plugs into your TV. The Extend dongle is provided free with your new TV. You’ll need Smart Things sensors, or other compatible devices (there as many as 200). And of course, you’ll need home Wi-Fi. Now they are refusing to honour this commitment as this was instrumental in swaying the decision in favour of Samsung sets over other sets, this is a case of false advertising and mis-selling

Attachments (if any):

0 Likes
CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

Well that sure is a blow! I've not even been offered anything either, doh!

I've complained to ASA however.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

I am on the phone for a second opinion from cab.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Right spoke to CAB and very interesting news for all the wrong reasons unfortunately.

They said Curry's cannot be held responsible for Samsung changing their mind because even though they advertised the smart thing extend it's not a legally binding contract.

Now if someone here could be so kind to also ask "Can Curry's absolve themselves  of responsibilty for an item which Samsung have decided never to sell" to see if we get consistent answers?

This is bit of a blow too be honest so I may just take up their offer of £150 and ask forthe Smart Thing Hub from Samsung too.

that is surprising! this is contarry to response some others had! how does one decide missling then? Have you discussed this with trading standrds?

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

I am on the phone for a second opinion from cab.

kind of inconsistent approch, what about trading standards!

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Right spoke to CAB and very interesting news for all the wrong reasons unfortunately.

They said Curry's cannot be held responsible for Samsung changing their mind because even though they advertised the smart thing extend it's not a legally binding contract.

Now if someone here could be so kind to also ask "Can Curry's absolve themselves  of responsibilty for an item which Samsung have decided never to sell" to see if we get consistent answers?

This is bit of a blow too be honest so I may just take up their offer of £150 and ask forthe Smart Thing Hub from Samsung too.

that is surprising! this is contarry to response some others had! how does one decide missling then? Have you discussed this with trading standrds?

Not yet as this took me by surprise (still waiting for the email response too) so wanted to get some more feedback here before deciding if it's worth calling Trading Standards

0 Likes
sneakyvtr
Pioneer
Options

So heard back from Richer Sounds today, sent the email last night. The first email response is as follows: they have not offered the refund as requested but have offered me the 'current equivalent model' the Samsung QE55Q8C. This tv is currently priced at £1699.  

https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-qe55q8c.html

Any thoughts on this? Does it support HLG iPlayer and all the things that the KS9000 should have had. Any input on this offer would be great. If I had a refund I was going to buy an LG OLED.

AntS
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

My reply - (which was deleted it seems so I'm posting again)

It got grabbed by the Spam filter. But I've deleted it now for you to avoid a duplicate post. :robothappy:

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@sneakyvtr wrote:

So heard back from Richer Sounds today, sent the email last night. The first email response is as follows: they have not offered the refund as requested but have offered me the 'current equivalent model' the Samsung QE55Q8C. This tv is currently priced at £1699.  

https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-qe55q8c.html

Any thoughts on this? Does it support HLG iPlayer and all the things that the KS9000 should have had. Any input on this offer would be great. If I had a refund I was going to buy an LG OLED.

I believe all 2017 samsung tv's support iplayer hlg, maybe see if you can push for the oled but it's a good deal nontheless.

0 Likes
sneakyvtr
Pioneer
Options
Thanks Daleski. Is there any particular OLED that you guys would recommend to replace my KS9000? - It has been over a year since I knew exactly what was what in the TV space so I need to do my research but recommendations would be a great help!
0 Likes