Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 22-01-2018 03:28 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

Still waiting for a reply from Currys here too. It must have been 4-5 working days now if not more. Hopefully sending those documents and screenshots to them and stating that they are still live on the website now stirred things up especially as they tried telling me they couldn't find this offer of a free dongle in their 'archives'. 

On a side note, all these sales of goods act etc are coming in handy and I'm learning - currently disputing with another retailer and quoted the 2015 act where by I should be entitled to a refund if something is damaged or not satisfactory. Received a game from this retailler and the inside of the case was broken and could no longer hold the disc. When I checked their site to report it I noticed the game had dropped in price of £5 over night so I asked if I could get the difference paid and wouldn't worry about the case. They said no and would send me a new empty case which I kindly rejected and said I'd send the whole thing back for a refund. Their replies stank so I'm not backing down and opened a PayPal dispute. 

Wouldn't have bothered before this whole Samsung thing so thanks haha!

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

Ok I just had a reply and I take back what I said about it being good for the delay. This is my (unsatisfactory) response from another customer service agent - 

"Dear Christopher, 

Thanks for your email dated 16th January 2018. Sorry it’s taken us a while to get back to you. 

I'm sorry to learn that you feel you have been mis-sold a product that was advertised on our website. The Smartthings Extend USB still has not been released by Samsung. Please contact them in regards to a release as we have control, as the retailer, of this matter. 

I’m really sorry if this causes you any inconvenience. Thanks again for getting in touch. 

Kind regards, 

******* Williams "

Going around in circles here!!!

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

Ok I just had a reply and I take back what I said about it being good for the delay. This is my (unsatisfactory) response from another customer service agent - 

"Dear Christopher, 

Thanks for your email dated 16th January 2018. Sorry it’s taken us a while to get back to you. 

I'm sorry to learn that you feel you have been mis-sold a product that was advertised on our website. The Smartthings Extend USB still has not been released by Samsung. Please contact them in regards to a release as we have control, as the retailer, of this matter. 

I’m really sorry if this causes you any inconvenience. Thanks again for getting in touch. 

Kind regards, 

******* Williams "

Curry's have no clue!

0 Likes
Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

"Dear Christopher, 

Kind regards, 

******* Williams "

Curry's have no clue!

The contract is between you and currys! period!!! 

currys have contract with samsung! so its there responsibility to sort this out between them and samsung!

sneakyvtr
Pioneer
Options

Correct, the dongle was advertised on their website and as such are responsible even though it is not technically their fault. 

The regulations are very clear on this.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

"Dear Christopher, 

Kind regards, 

******* Williams "

Curry's have no clue!

currys have contract with samsung! so its there responsibility to sort this out between them and samsung!

Curry's are trying to pass the blame onto Samsung, I am having the exact same problem where Curry's are saying they are not responsible for Samsung cancelling the smart thing extend despite them advertising it.

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

My reply - (which was deleted it seems so I'm posting again)

Dear Customer Service Team,

I have already been in touch with Samsung and this is their reply -

""This is to acknowledge that we have received your response to our e-mail about your unit. With regards to the Smart Connect dongle, the link that you provided has been provided by Currys and was not directly authorised by Samsung. Please feel free to contact them so that they can provide the most accurate information about the said offer.

If you feel that you had been missold or misled with your purchase, we recommend seeking for assistance with the retailer where the TV was purchased so that they can give the best options for you.

If you require additional support, you can find How-To videos, answers to your questions and other useful information about Samsung products on our Support website www.samsung.com/uk/support or you may contact us at 0330-726-7864 within 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from Monday to Saturday.
Kind regards,
Customer Service Representative"

Another Samsung department I contacted said this -

""Email from Samsung Presidents Office.

Good afternoon, I am contacting in response to your communication received to the CEO of Samsung UK. I am sorry to learn of your disappointment following your communication with our customer support team.

With regard to the Smart Things dongle, the decision was made for this to not be released, and I recognise that this has caused disappointment for which I offer my apologies."

Surely this is something Currys should be aware of - a product that you are (STILL) offering free with 2016 TV models but which has been discontinued. Is this legal? You are offering something which does not exist!! Currys should be speaking with Samsung regarding this issue and not with customers.

As I understand, the contract of the sale is between myself and Currys, not Samsung. Currys released the marketing details of said features/offers therefore are held to honour it. If there is an issue with obtaining the item, Currys need to chase Samsung, not me the customer!

It feels like we are going round in circles here therefore I am going to seek advice from Citizen's Advice, Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Authority about making a complaint and taking this further.

Regards,"

I used some of the replies from Samsung in this threat sorry - hope that's ok guys? Didn't use any personal details obviously.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

"Dear Christopher, 

Kind regards, 

******* Williams "

They are really trying it on. Send the Samsung UK email which is quite clear about no smart connect . Curry's know this but it seems like the are going to make everyone jump through hoops. Some posted here that Curry's gave a refund a the store after 4 hours. That manager would have talked to head office before giving the refund. We just have to log these answers and counter them and again it certainly will not look good if we do have to go to court because the court would expect a company as big as Curry's to know consumer law. 

Paul

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@Sam-Knp wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

"Dear Christopher, 

Kind regards, 

******* Williams "

Curry's have no clue!

Curry's are trying to pass the blame onto Samsung, I am having the exact same problem where Curry's are saying they are not responsible for Samsung cancelling the smart thing extend despite them advertising it.

Currys are responsible as per ASA guidelines - report this link to ASA

http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

And do not forget to email currys that you have reported them and copy the dicosn CEO

How to get SmartThings on your TV

You need a new 2016 Samsung SUHD Smart TV, and a SmartThings Extend – a small, USB-like dongle that plugs into your TV. The Extend dongle is provided free with your new TV. 

You’ll need Smart Things sensors, or other compatible devices (there as many as 200). And of course, you’ll need home Wi-Fi.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Right spoke to CAB and very interesting news for all the wrong reasons unfortunately.

They said Curry's cannot be held responsible for Samsung changing their mind because even though they advertised the smart thing extend it's not a legally binding contract.

Now if someone here could be so kind to also ask "Can Curry's absolve themselves  of responsibilty for an item which Samsung have decided never to sell" to see if we get consistent answers?

This is bit of a blow too be honest so I may just take up their offer of £150 and ask forthe Smart Thing Hub from Samsung too.

0 Likes