Support

Open search

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

Helping Hand

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Mr *****,

  

Thank you for your reply. 
 
As previously advised, we would not be in a position to provide a full refund of the TV, due to Samsung's withdrawal of a promissory service. 
 
I understand that my colleague Johnjo has offered a voucher to the value of £549.00 to allow you to purchase an alternate unit.  This offer was provided as a gesture of goodwill without prejudice, and as a full and final settlement to bring the issue to a close.  I do understand that you have rejected this offer however, should you wish to reconsider, I would be happy to leave this offer open until the 25th of January 2018.
I understand that Samsung have provided a resolution to the issue, and have offered to provide you with a SmartThings Hub. 
 
Whilst I appreciate your disappointment, I must reiterate that we would not provide you with a full refund, as we are not accountable for Samsung's decision not to release the Smart Things Dongle.
 
I await your response should you wish to accept our offer of goodwill.

If that is the case of it being a replacement then I think that's a no. 

May  I suggest that you call Citizens Advice, the number is on their website, on Monday. 

Have you bullet points ready such as,

The reason why you think there is misrepresentation,

Samsung's email saying they will not be supplying the dongle, so the TV cannot be a smart hub as advertised but as a gesture of good will offer a free smart thing's hub (£58), which does not enable smart hub with the TV as advertised,

Your request to Curry's for a refund under the Oct 2015 European Consumer regs for misrepresentation,

Their first response from them saying you have left it to late to claim for faulty good, and your response saying it's for misrepresentation and there is not a time limit,

Their advice to accept Samsung's offer and £150 voucher of good will. At no point do they not deny misrepresentation,

Their second offer of a replacement TV worth £550, nearly a third of the value of the TV you have, and not nearly the same spec. They also say the information was from Samsung and they are saying they can not be held responsible for Samsung's information,

They say their last offer is their final offer and given till the 25 Jan for you decision.

 

It could take a few days for a email reply.

Paul


I am going to give CAB a call on Monday as you have advised to tell them all the points raised and will then ask them.

 

1) Is the offer from Curry's fair?

2) If it's not fair do I have a case for asking for a full refund?

3) Can Curry's as they are stating pass the blame onto Samsung and not accept responsibility?

4) In light of all the evidence do I have a good case for taking Curry's to the small claims court?

 

I think now I need a definitive answer from CAB and I will also call Trading Standards as well if CAB advise to as well.

 

Reading between the lines Curry's are trying to distance themselves from that promotion by trying to tell me that they cannot be held responsible despite it being plastered all over the website, this I think is there way of trying to come across like "we are doing you a favour" even though they mis-sold it.

 

Personally speaking I am pretty confident now I have a very good case against them and now just need confirmation from CAB to state this.

 

Once I have the facts in front of me I will then make a final decision on what to do on whether I will take them to the small claims court.

 

Worst case scenario if CAB side with Curry's on their offer I get £150 back (I will ask for a cheque) and I will get the Samsung Hub and sell it right away.

 

P.S I am no longer going to respond to Curry's until I have done the above and asked them to confirm it in writing if they can do it within the time constraint.

 

And sorry for the long post one final thing.

 

I will also give Curry's a deadline of the 25th (pay day lol) if CAB think I have a very good case before I go to the small claims court BUT only if I have a very good case.


I agree let's see what they say, and don't forget you can message me on here if you want. Have you by any chance put all this into AV Forum's?

Paul


I am only putting bits and pieces into avforums because it looks like I am the only one who is doing this actively, and besides I get much better feed back here!

Highlighted
Navigator

Ahh, definitely a bad deal if you have to give the Samsung back and only get £549 in return then. If you got to keep the Samsung then it would be a different story.

 

I’m still waiting for my reply from Currys after sending them the proofs.

Hotshot

I am at the moment filling in an on line form from

https://www.asa.org.uk/about-asa-and-cap/the-work-we-do/what-we-cover.html#Inside

Just registered and now making a complaint for false advertising against Samsung and a separate one for the outrageous attitude of Curry's. 

It is quite clear they are breaking the law, and some of their replies are intended to discourage and miss inform people, again illegal. They are not respecting peoples legal rights and using intimidation, and it needs to be exposed, and I am in the process of doing that.

If others feel the same then fill in the on line form from the link above.

Thanks

Paul

Voyager

@daleski75 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Mr *****,

  

Thank you for your reply. 
 
As previously advised, we would not be in a position to provide a full refund of the TV, due to Samsung's withdrawal of a promissory service. 
 
I understand that my colleague Johnjo has offered a voucher to the value of £549.00 to allow you to purchase an alternate unit.  This offer was provided as a gesture of goodwill without prejudice, and as a full and final settlement to bring the issue to a close.  I do understand that you have rejected this offer however, should you wish to reconsider, I would be happy to leave this offer open until the 25th of January 2018.
I understand that Samsung have provided a resolution to the issue, and have offered to provide you with a SmartThings Hub. 
 
Whilst I appreciate your disappointment, I must reiterate that we would not provide you with a full refund, as we are not accountable for Samsung's decision not to release the Smart Things Dongle.
 
I await your response should you wish to accept our offer of goodwill.

If that is the case of it being a replacement then I think that's a no. 

May  I suggest that you call Citizens Advice, the number is on their website, on Monday. 

Have you bullet points ready such as,

The reason why you think there is misrepresentation,

Samsung's email saying they will not be supplying the dongle, so the TV cannot be a smart hub as advertised but as a gesture of good will offer a free smart thing's hub (£58), which does not enable smart hub with the TV as advertised,

Your request to Curry's for a refund under the Oct 2015 European Consumer regs for misrepresentation,

Their first response from them saying you have left it to late to claim for faulty good, and your response saying it's for misrepresentation and there is not a time limit,

Their advice to accept Samsung's offer and £150 voucher of good will. At no point do they not deny misrepresentation,

Their second offer of a replacement TV worth £550, nearly a third of the value of the TV you have, and not nearly the same spec. They also say the information was from Samsung and they are saying they can not be held responsible for Samsung's information,

They say their last offer is their final offer and given till the 25 Jan for you decision.

 

It could take a few days for a email reply.

Paul


I am going to give CAB a call on Monday as you have advised to tell them all the points raised and will then ask them.

 

1) Is the offer from Curry's fair?

2) If it's not fair do I have a case for asking for a full refund?

3) Can Curry's as they are stating pass the blame onto Samsung and not accept responsibility?

4) In light of all the evidence do I have a good case for taking Curry's to the small claims court?

 

I think now I need a definitive answer from CAB and I will also call Trading Standards as well if CAB advise to as well.

 

Reading between the lines Curry's are trying to distance themselves from that promotion by trying to tell me that they cannot be held responsible despite it being plastered all over the website, this I think is there way of trying to come across like "we are doing you a favour" even though they mis-sold it.

 

Personally speaking I am pretty confident now I have a very good case against them and now just need confirmation from CAB to state this.

 

Once I have the facts in front of me I will then make a final decision on what to do on whether I will take them to the small claims court.

 

Worst case scenario if CAB side with Curry's on their offer I get £150 back (I will ask for a cheque) and I will get the Samsung Hub and sell it right away.

 

P.S I am no longer going to respond to Curry's until I have done the above and asked them to confirm it in writing if they can do it within the time constraint.

 

And sorry for the long post one final thing.

 

I will also give Curry's a deadline of the 25th (pay day lol) if CAB think I have a very good case before I go to the small claims court BUT only if I have a very good case.


I agree let's see what they say, and don't forget you can message me on here if you want. Have you by any chance put all this into AV Forum's?

Paul


I am only putting bits and pieces into avforums because it looks like I am the only one who is doing this actively, and besides I get much better feed back here!


Wait for the reply from CAB, in my opinion you are being short-changed, but if my thinking is correct then you have a winnable case, you may get enough compensation to get a LG C8 :smileywink:

Voyager

@paul1111 wrote:

I am at the moment filling in an on line form from

https://www.asa.org.uk/about-asa-and-cap/the-work-we-do/what-we-cover.html#Inside

Just registered and now making a complaint for false advertising against Samsung and a separate one for the outrageous attitude of Curry's. 

It is quite clear they are breaking the law, and some of their replies are intended to discourage and miss inform people, again illegal. They are not respecting peoples legal rights and using intimidation, and it needs to be exposed, and I am in the process of doing that.

If others feel the same then fill in the on line form from the link above.

Thanks

Paul


I am going to report all retailers and Samsung to ASA so that Dale can cite that as evidence in his claim, request everyone to do that as well, it won't cost anything

Hotshot

This is my complaint to asa about Samsung, sorry it's a bit long,

There are three promises Samsung made with regard to their KS 2016 models.
!, They promised HLG (hybrid-log-gamma) update for all their 2016 KS TV's which is shown in these links,
http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/hybrid-log-gamma-what-is-it-2947378
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#HKmkBd0MMSTZvqxK.99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mimpr4a4L-M
They have updated the TV's for VP9 which is Youtube but not HEVC which is broadcast. When BBC Iplayer started broadcasting Blue Planet 2 in 4k HLG our TV's could not receive it. When Samsung were asked their reply was they have no plans to update. They have updated their 2017 sets. This is important because the HEVC format is what will be used for future 4K HLG broadcasting for the likes of BBC and co. Samsung never mentioned they would only be updating a bit and their adverts read as if the TV's will get HLG no if's or buts.
Whats annoying is Panasonic and LG never committed to the update but both have fully updated their models.

2, They advertised a free smart Connect USB Dongle for all 2016 KS models. This enables the TV to be the centre of the smart internet of things, where the dongle would connect the TV to a smart hub. The dongle did not come with the TV and i assumed it would be an add on but by the end of last year had still not appeared. Here are the links,
https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/
https://web.archive.org/web/20161104014350/http://www.richersounds.com:80/product/tv---all/samsung/u...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJRHrQio6_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY
When Samsung support were asked where are the free dongles as advertised this was their first answer,
"This is to acknowledge that we have received your response to our e-mail about your unit. With regards to the Smart Connect dongle, the link that you provided has been provided by Currys and was not directly authorised by Samsung. Please feel free to contact them so that they can provide the most accurate information about the said offer.

If you feel that you had been missold or misled with your purchase, we recommend seeking for assistance with the retailer where the TV was purchased so that they can give the best options for you.

If you require additional support, you can find How-To videos, answers to your questions and other useful information about Samsung products on our Support website www.samsung.com/uk/support or you may contact us at 0330-726-7864 within 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from Monday to Saturday.
Kind regards,
Shieryl M
Customer Service Representative"
Trying
Then Samsung UK were asked and a very different answer,
"Email from Samsung Presidents Office.

Good afternoon, I am contacting in response to your communication received to the CEO of Samsung UK. I am sorry to learn of your disappointment following your communication with our customer support team.

With regard to the Smart Things dongle, the decision was made for this to not be released, and I recognise that this has caused disappointment for which I offer my apologies. What I can do is provide a SmartThings Hub to you without charge as a gesture of goodwill. Please let me know if you would like to receive this and I can make the arrangements for you.

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns.
Regards
Kirsty C******
Customer Services Executive | UK & Eire
e: ******* | t: +44 (0)330 726 3932
Description: cid:image007.jpg@01D29292.88FD7C40

Samsung Electronics UK
Samsung House
1000 Hillswood Drive
Chertsey, Surrey, KT16 0PS"
They offer a free smart hub (£55) which without the Smart Connect dongle will not allow the TV to be connected to any Internet of Things, so again they advertised it and have withdrawn it and what makes it worse is they never told their customers or retailers.

3, They advertised that they would update their SUHD 20126 KS models with a HDR10+ update in late 2017, again the links,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mimpr4a4L-M
https://news.samsung.com/us/hdr10-plus-samsung-amazon-video-deliver-next-generation-hdr-video-experi...
Their reply when asked was that the update was only for the US (the link is the US one). I then showed them the next link which is a global news release,
https://news.samsung.com/global/how-hdr10-creates-like-real-images
It was pointed out that the above link was global and no mention the UK was not getting the update. When asked their reply is at this time we no plans to update the 2016 models.
They made three promises which did influence my decision to buy the Samsung. If I had know before I bought my 65KS9500 last January 2017 for £2599, I would have probable bought the LG which have been updated with HLG HDR10+.
I have looked at the 2015 Consumer regs and I may be wrong but it seems that a manufacturer can make any claims.

Hotshot

Second complaint to ASA, again  sorry a bit long,

 

John Lewis, Curry's PC World were selling the 2016 KS series TV's with the ability to control the Internet of Things from the TV with the free Smart Connect USB Dongle. Richer Sounds said the TV could be the hub bet do not mention the free dongle, but with out the dongle you can not use the TV as a Smart Hub. Here are the retailers links,
https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/
https://web.archive.org/web/20161104014350/http://www.richersounds.com:80/product/tv---all/samsung/u...
http://www.reliantdirect.co.uk/HOME/Product-Detail/Samsung-UE65KS9000-65-9-Series-Curved-SUHD-with-Q...

Here are the Samsung links advertising it,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJRHrQio6_8

It was assumed Samsung would inform owners or make a press release when the free dongles were available. At the end of 2017 Samsung support were asked where were the dongles as advertised by the retailers,
"To: Samsung Support <seuk.contactus@partner.samsung.com>
I also showed you a youtube link from Samsung 2016 CES presentation which is absolututly clear that you would give every 2016 owner a free smart connect USB dongle!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJRHrQio6_8

This is their first answer,
This is to acknowledge that we have received your response to our e-mail about your unit. With regards to the Smart Connect dongle, the link that you provided has been provided by Currys and was not directly authorised by Samsung. Please feel free to contact them so that they can provide the most accurate information about the said offer.

If you feel that you had been missold or misled with your purchase, we recommend seeking for assistance with the retailer where the TV was purchased so that they can give the best options for you.

If you require additional support, you can find How-To videos, answers to your questions and other useful information about Samsung products on our Support website www.samsung.com/uk/support or you may contact us at 0330-726-7864 within 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from Monday to Saturday.
Kind regards,
Shieryl M
Customer Service Representative

Samsung UK were asked the same question and a somewhat different answer,
Email from Samsung Presidents Office.
Good afternoon, I am contacting in response to your communication received to the CEO of Samsung UK. I am sorry to learn of your disappointment following your communication with our customer support team.

With regard to the Smart Things dongle, the decision was made for this to not be released, and I recognise that this has caused disappointment for which I offer my apologies. What I can do is provide a SmartThings Hub to you without charge as a gesture of goodwill. Please let me know if you would like to receive this and I can make the arrangements for you.
Thank you for contacting us with your concerns.
Regards

Kirsty C******
Customer Services Executive | UK & Eire
e: ******* | t: +44 (0)330 726 3932
Description: cid:image007.jpg@01D29292.88FD7C40

Samsung Electronics UK
Samsung House
1000 Hillswood Drive
Chertsey, Surrey, KT16 0PS

This must constitute misrepresentation and a claim under the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regs was warranted for misrepresentation.
Curry's first answer,
This is Curry's final say on the matter in my case.
Dear Dale,
Case reference: *****

Thank you for your email dated 6th January 2018.
Further to your enquiry, the email sent is in fact our stance on this matter. You have had the item 18 months without contacting us we would therefore not class this as a reasonable amount of time. You have had 18 months of use from the television without cause to contact us regarding any issue until recently.
Thank you for contacting Team Knowhow.
Kind regards,
Roger *****

Team Knowhow

They were trying to make out it was for a faulty goods and ignoring the misrepresentation,
That was rejected and they were reminded this was misrepresentation which the only time limit is 6 years,

Dear Mr ********,

Thank you for your reply.
I can see that Samsung have confirmed that the SmartThings dongle is now not going to be released, however they have offered to send you a SmartThings hub free of charge. Please advise if this would resolve the situation for you regarding these functions.
My suggestion as a resolve for you would be to accept Samsung's offer, and I would be happy to offer you discount off the original purchase price to the value of £150. Please let me know if you would like to accept my offer.

I look forward to receiving your response.
They offered next a replacement inferior Panasonic TV and then said they were not responsible for Samsungs information that they used on their websites, which is a clear breech of 2015 consumer regs which stated the retailer is responsible.
That was their finale.

Navigator

If I recall correctly it’s 3 things they went back on their words-

1) smarttgings 

2) hlg format 

3) hdr10+

Hotshot

@Sam-Knp wrote:

If I recall correctly it’s 3 things they went back on their words-

1) smarttgings 

2) hlg format 

3) hdr10+


That was Samsung, and I have put that in my complaint against them. Curry's did not mention HLG or HDR10+, only the Smart Connect USB Dongle.

Paul

Hotshot

I await a response from the ASA and  if it is upheld then that strengthens every ones case for refund for misrepresentation because the retailers will have no defence. What Curry's seem to be doing could be seen as intimidation which I think is illegal. So retailers we are not going to be intimidated and will explore every avenue that is legal to resolve this.

Paul

 

https://www.which.co.uk/tools/faulty-goods-complaint-tool/
https://www.asa.org.uk/about-asa-and-cap/the-work-we-do/what-we-cover.html#Inside

Top Liked Authors