Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 19-01-2018 05:46 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

The fee's for taking Curry's to court.

The court fee is based on the amount you’re claiming, plus interest.

£70 + 5% of £1399 which is £69.95 so total of £139.95

There of course will also be barrister fee's, legal fee's etc which I believe are capped to around £200

So all in all it could cost around £340 in total which I assume you could claim back if you won?

Claim amount Paper form fee Online claim fee

Up to £300£35£25
£300.01 to £500£50£35
£500.01 to £1,000£70£60
£1,000.01 to £1,500£80£70
£1,500.01 to £3,000£115£105

You do not need a barrister that's only for a criminal court not civil court. Best thing wait for Citizens Advice.

Just been checking a few websites and seen that as well and as the claim would be below £1500 there is no £40 small claims fee eiher.

Waiting to see what CAB come back with anyway and will take it from there.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@crashcris wrote:

Hey Daleski75... Please be aware of Curry's knowledge of this page and how bouyed they'll be to keep reading your lack of commitment to actually do anything further than send a few emails. This is a public forum and it's not just us disappointed Samsung owners who will be reading it. Show no weakness, go in hard and best of luck.

That said, nobody actually wants the smartthings dongle anyway, we just want Samsung to support their TVs for a lot longer than just 1 year. We want our 2014/15/16/17 TVs to have the BBC iplayer UHD (HLG too, where physically possible).

I assume there is still no definitive statement from Samsung on  support for HLG, ( BBC Iplayer ) and  HDR10+  for 2016 KS Models.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@sneakyvtr wrote:

Glad to see this is gaining traction. I was very dissapointed myself when I saw the BBC iPlayer list regarding my 55" KS9000 and coincidently how I found this thread - I think it is despicable to make a TV set of this price point end of life so soon.

I have had a string of issues with this set and it is the most expensive TV I have ever bought back in Dec 2016. It has been repaired once as arranged by Samsung customer service but the TV randomly turns on and off still. A range of Smart TV apps consistently crash, NowTV, Netflix, Amazon Video & Plex that I use to watch movies. Set was bought from Richer Sounds. RS customer service would direct me to the useless Samsung Customer service who would apologise ask me to send them proof of purchase to an email address and someone would get back in contact with me and it would end there. I would never get a response until the cycle started again. Now however I am out of manufacturers warranty the responsibility falls back to Richer Sounds with their 6 year guarantee.

Reading success stories of JL and Currys however did not see any information or break throughs regarding Richer Sounds as it seems they did not advertise the smart things dongle that others have pinned retailers with under the EU regs.

At this stage I wish to rid my hands of this TV set entirely and wished I paid the extra £500 at the time to get a 55' LG OLED. Further to this in my bedroom I have a 42" 1080p LG set that cost me £360 back in 2014 that is performs flawlessly in comparison, it has never missed a beat other than now being a bit out dated but it is still very watchable.

Any input into getting my refund in excess of £1500 with RS would be greatly appreciated. The web archive link posted previously doesn't state much apart from the below:

"Samsung SUHD TVs are IOT ready and allow you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem
Experience a new world of possibilities as Samsung's SUHD TVs enable you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem. With a wide variety of sensors and inputs work harmoniously with your TV you can control everything from lighting to heating, monitor your baby sleeping or check homework is being done all directly controllable from your SUHD TV."

https://web.archive.org/web/20161104014350/http://www.richersounds.com:80/product/tv---all/samsung/u...

Many thanks,

C

They are advertising the TV can be part of the iot but how do you achieve that with out the smart connect dongle? That is the question you need to ask them. When they say you need a dongle, you can reply that Samsung are not supplying it. Therefore you TV cannot be part of the iot, therefore misrepresentation and I think you have a case. 

Paul

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@crashcris wrote:

Hey Daleski75... Please be aware of Curry's knowledge of this page and how bouyed they'll be to keep reading your lack of commitment to actually do anything further than send a few emails. This is a public forum and it's not just us disappointed Samsung owners who will be reading it. Show no weakness, go in hard and best of luck.

That said, nobody actually wants the smartthings dongle anyway, we just want Samsung to support their TVs for a lot longer than just 1 year. We want our 2014/15/16/17 TVs to have the BBC iplayer UHD (HLG too, where physically possible).

I assume there is still no definitive statement from Samsung on  support for HLG, ( BBC Iplayer ) and  HDR10+  for 2016 KS Models.

Nothing at all.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

If I am understanding this correctly if I lose the small claims court then I should only lose the fee's paid to take currys to court?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

If I am understanding this correctly if I lose the small claims court then I should only lose the fee's paid to take currys to court?

And that is if it actually goes to court. When it's done online they get copies before actual court.

Paul

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

And that is if it actually goes to court. When it's done online they get copies before actual court.

Paul

So potentially if it comes to it and I make a claim and they settle it outside of court I have only lost £70 or whatever the fees are?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

No.    If they settle out of court part of that settlement must include your costs, which you have made clear to them. If they refuse costs just tell them you will see them in court. They would not settle if they thought they would win. Saying that they would not have offered you any compensation if they thought they we're right in the first place.

Paul

JTE
Navigator
Options
Have been speaking to Financial Services Ombudsman today and actually, even if it’s store interest free credit you only need to pay the deposit using your credit card.
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@JTE wrote:
Have been speaking to Financial Services Ombudsman today and actually, even if it’s store interest free credit you only need to pay the deposit using your credit card.

I think we all are learning useful information about consumer law and how to protect ourselves in future.

Paul

0 Likes