Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 18-01-2018 05:59 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

Also might be usefull to post that on the samsung refund thread and AV Forums ks8000/9000 thread.

Paul

Since you mention it, this may be of interest.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-own...

QUOTE:

HDR10+ SUPPORT:

One of the executives from the NJ office called me last night to discuss several issues, including The Wall and the specifications of the 2018 lineup which will be made public at the pre-launch event in March. I asked him about South Korea's response to the uproar over the HDR10+ update promised for the 2016 TVs, and he agrees that it was/is being handled poorly by the corporate headquarters. The promises and statements in PR pieces are routinely made by individuals with little actual input from the R&D and software engineering teams; this invariably results in overstatements and unrealistic timelines being published. He does not foresee much change to this scenario as this is a global problem for the company, and changes to policy are difficult to achieve on such a large scale. So far, all I have heard from the R&D team is that the system architecture on the 2016 sets is so different from that on the 2017 sets that the promised firmware update may just not work. No one so far, however, has actually said it will NOT happen.

(bold = my emphasis)

HDR10+ was confirmed over streaming for 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSwMLXnmxOU&t=526 (time stamp 8 mins 25 seconds)

http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/news/samsung-and-amazon-video-deliver-next-generation-hdr-video-exp...

I'm afraid you have misconstrued the text I quoted.

Those links are the promises that were and I quote "routinely made by individuals with little actual input from the R&D and software engineering teams".

They are also the promises that all of us here have been using, and should certainly continue to use, when talking to Samsung to keep up the pressure. I've posted them myself.

We all know what they promised and that they (the management) promised it. That wasn't the point of my post. 

They promised it without checking what was and was not possible first with the R&D team. To which we, owners here, say "tough!".

But, what is actually possible to do in the end will determine the outcome, if the R&D team are allowed to continue their attempts to get it to work. The last two sentences of my quote are the most important.

Actually, no. There are exactly zero sentences in that post that are important, because it has been proven that Rudy has literally 0 inside information. Please stop spreading misinformation by posting anything from him.

Thanks.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Just advised a friend who's getting a TV replaced by insurance to get an LG over a Samsung.

Not the first, and it won't be the last, I'm guessing.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Any one buy from Reliantdirect they are also advertising the USB 2 connect

http://www.reliantdirect.co.uk/HOME/Product-Detail/Samsung-UE65KS9000-65-9-Series-Curved-SUHD-with-Q...

0 Likes
Onpoint
Explorer
Options

@barrybrown wrote:

i have looked into richersounds and there was no offer of a smarthings dongle so i cant claim for that and its in all the ads that they can withdraw support at anytime ,there is nothing other than the missing uhd blue rays that i have been waiting for for a year which came free with blue ray.Samsung have prommised repetedly they would come but they never have i have written to them we will see

Hello mate, not sure if this helps... link to the web page for the 49KS8000 in Nov 16 - it doesn't mention a free dongle but does mention this which I would assume the that TV is unable to do without the free dongle upgrade. (This may not be good enough...)

http://www.richersounds.com:80/product/tv---all/samsung/ue49ks8000/sams-ue49ks8000

"Samsung SUHD TVs are IOT ready and allow you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem
Experience a new world of possibilities as Samsung's SUHD TVs enable you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem. With a wide variety of sensors and inputs work harmoniously with your TV you can control everything from lighting to heating, monitor your baby sleeping or check homework is being done all directly controllable from your SUHD TV."

If you go to https://web.archive.org/ and put in the URL (richersounds.com) it will give you various dates where they have archived the website, so you may find something else if you can be bothered to trawl through it. Its very sluggish to load...

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Onpoint wrote:

Hello mate, not sure if this helps... link to the web page for the 49KS8000 in Nov 16 - it doesn't mention a free dongle but does mention this which I would assume the that TV is unable to do without the free dongle upgrade. (This may not be good enough...)

http://www.richersounds.com:80/product/tv---all/samsung/ue49ks8000/sams-ue49ks8000

"Samsung SUHD TVs are IOT ready and allow you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem
Experience a new world of possibilities as Samsung's SUHD TVs enable you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem. With a wide variety of sensors and inputs work harmoniously with your TV you can control everything from lighting to heating, monitor your baby sleeping or check homework is being done all directly controllable from your SUHD TV."

If you go to https://web.archive.org/ and put in the URL (richersounds.com) it will give you various dates where they have archived the website, so you may find something else if you can be bothered to trawl through it. Its very sluggish to load...

Hi thanks I have seen it and it does show again mis selling. I will try to explain my thinking. 

It advertised the ability to connect the TV to the Internet of Things and control from the TV, but how? How do you connect the TV to this, you need the Smart Connect USB dongle, and for the 2016 models Samsung have said they are not supplying these dongles, even though there is plenty of evidence saying they would. That means the TV's can not connect to the IOT, therefore RicherSounds advert is incorrect, and that is misrepresentation. The question people who bought from Richer Sounds is how do I connect my KS TV to the Smart hub, and if they can not answer, the next question is can I have a refund please!

Paul

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Poor show from Currys

Dear Mr ********,

Thank you for your reply.

I can see that Samsung have confirmed that the SmartThings dongle is now not going to be released, however they have offered to send you a SmartThings hub free of charge. Please advise if this would resolve the situation for you regarding these functions.

My suggestion as a resolve for you would be to accept Samsung's offer, and I would be happy to offer you discount off the original purchase price to the value of £150. Please let me know if you would like to accept my offer.

I look forward to receiving your response.

Yours sincerely,

And here is my response which was sent just before the above arrived.

Dear ******,

Apologies I forgot to add I have not accepted Samsung's offer and would like this to be resolved between myself and Curry's if a mutual agreement can be agreed upon.

Kind Regards,

Dale
0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Further email

Dear *****,

Many thanks for the offer but I will be declining as the television has been mis-sold by Curry's and I am within my rights to ask for a full refund or replacement as stated in the case this was my primary reason for buying the tv as it was meant to act as a smart hub which now is no longer possible as you know.

Please can you let me know your thoughts on the above.

Kind Regards,

Dale
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Further email

Dear *****,

Many thanks for the offer but I will be declining as the television has been mis-sold by Curry's and I am within my rights to ask for a full refund or replacement as stated in the case this was my primary reason for buying the tv as it was meant to act as a smart hub which now is no longer possible as you know.

Kind Regards,

Dale

Just a thought but rather than asking for their thoughts which leaves an opening to continue wasting your time, ask for a refund fund under the Oct regs for misrepresentation full stop.
Paul

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Further email

Dear *****,

Kind Regards,

Dale

Just a thought but rather than asking for their thoughts which leaves an opening to continue wasting your time, ask for a refund fund under the Oct regs for misrepresentation full stop.
Paul

I want to see if they do the right thing if they don't then I will hit them again with the regs for misrepresentation which I am sure they are well aware of.

Trying to be as polite as I can too as I found this works better.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Hmmmm Curry's are having a laugh! They want to replace it with a product which is a lot worse??

Dear Mr ********,

Thank you for your email.

I can appreciate that. My suggested product as a replacement would be the PANASONIC TX-55EX580B 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV - Product code: 217136 - Price: £549.00. I would be happy to offer you a payment voucher to purchase this item.

Please let me know if you would like to accept my offer.

Yours sincerely,

0 Likes