Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 17-01-2018 09:53 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Chris325 wrote:

I am in touch with JL Head Office. I have a case manager Hayley Moore. She advised I raised a lot of points and she needs to check with their Buying Office plus Samsung directly. The mail I have is generic being yourenquiry@johnlewis.co.uk. My reference is CASE-08084566. I suggest anyone who bought K series contacts her. I raised the lack of the hub, lack of dongle, lack of full HLG and Samsung going back on their word over HDR10.

i can see no reason why the moderator will censor the JL details I have included above but let’s see.

I find it odd that she needs to check when someone else has been told that J L will replace their TV for miss selling. I might be usefull to point that out to her.

Paul

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Also might be usefull to post that on the samsung refund thread and AV Forums ks8000/9000 thread.

Paul

0 Likes
Chris325
Explorer
Options

Thanks Paul and I did mention this to her.

Chris325
Explorer
Options
Agreed
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Sent this to head of UK Samsung

I hope you do realise that more and more 2016 Samsung KS owners could start the process for a refund under the misrepresentation of goods. I think most just want what was promised by Samsung, Full HLG including HEVC so we can view BBC Iplayer 4K and HLG and the HDR10+ update. It's not a lot to ask as Samsung did promise it. 

With the HLG I know the VP9 works for youtube and Samsung are saying they have honoured that promise, but in all you advertising there is no mention of not supporting HEVC which I think is a rather large omission and one we owners find hard to stomach.
It seems to us that a TV should be supported as promised when it is only one year old. Panasonic and LG are!

Paul
0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I got this reply from Curry's which I think is another massive lie

Currys PC World Hi A***, The smart things hub which has been offered connects with the TV as supplied by use, the promotion was advertised by us as being run by the manufacturer. For us to look further at this will need your receipt number, date and branch number as shown at the top of the receipt, along with confirmation of your address, postcoide and a daytime contact number via Private Message?- Jay

I have asked how do you connect it as there are no smart apps on the TV.

I also asked if they will guarantee that the TV will work as advertised if I bought their smart things hub. We all know you need the Smart Connect which Samsung are not supplying,

Paul

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

They have a legal department trying every way to discourage any legal action, which so far, we have counted with evidence from their own web sites. John Lewis looks like have admitted defeat. Just bit concerned they want to phone and discuss things. There is nothing to discuss apart from when they will pick up the TV and give a full refund.

Paul

Do not under any circumstances allow them to speak to you on the phone.

Insist EVERYTHING is in writing. This is absolutely critical for when it goes to court.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

Also might be usefull to post that on the samsung refund thread and AV Forums ks8000/9000 thread.

Paul

Since you mention it, this may be of interest.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-own...

QUOTE:

HDR10+ SUPPORT:

One of the executives from the NJ office called me last night to discuss several issues, including The Wall and the specifications of the 2018 lineup which will be made public at the pre-launch event in March. I asked him about South Korea's response to the uproar over the HDR10+ update promised for the 2016 TVs, and he agrees that it was/is being handled poorly by the corporate headquarters. The promises and statements in PR pieces are routinely made by individuals with little actual input from the R&D and software engineering teams; this invariably results in overstatements and unrealistic timelines being published. He does not foresee much change to this scenario as this is a global problem for the company, and changes to policy are difficult to achieve on such a large scale. So far, all I have heard from the R&D team is that the system architecture on the 2016 sets is so different from that on the 2017 sets that the promised firmware update may just not work. No one so far, however, has actually said it will NOT happen.

(bold = my emphasis)

0 Likes
barrybrown
Explorer
Options

The most likey next HLG experience may well be the world cup from russia every match will be streamed in  UHD HDR ,1080 and sdr to all national broadcasters ,who then chose which format to broadcast in.

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

Paul

Since you mention it, this may be of interest.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-own...

QUOTE:

HDR10+ SUPPORT:

One of the executives from the NJ office called me last night to discuss several issues, including The Wall and the specifications of the 2018 lineup which will be made public at the pre-launch event in March. I asked him about South Korea's response to the uproar over the HDR10+ update promised for the 2016 TVs, and he agrees that it was/is being handled poorly by the corporate headquarters. The promises and statements in PR pieces are routinely made by individuals with little actual input from the R&D and software engineering teams; this invariably results in overstatements and unrealistic timelines being published. He does not foresee much change to this scenario as this is a global problem for the company, and changes to policy are difficult to achieve on such a large scale. So far, all I have heard from the R&D team is that the system architecture on the 2016 sets is so different from that on the 2017 sets that the promised firmware update may just not work. No one so far, however, has actually said it will NOT happen.

(bold = my emphasis)

Why are you posting this as if it's relevant. Rudy has never, at any point in time, ever proven that he has any accurate or inside information. He has literally never been right about anything.

Said that the 2016 TVs had HDR10+ starting with firmware 1180. That was false.

Said that the M9500/M8500/M7500 players had HDR10+ starting with firmware 1108. Thatw as false.

Said the HDR game mode fix would be released back in November. That was false.

It's shameful that the AVS mods allow him to pass himself as an insider.

0 Likes