Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 15-01-2018 04:41 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

got another response from CAD (citizen advise direct)

"

Dear Mr xxxxxxxx

Thank you for providing us with additional information.  We have updated the case notes and will pass the details to Trading Standards. 

If we have understood correctly, you are waiting for another response from J L.  As per our first reply, you may also be able to pursue a remedy from your credit card provider. 

Please contact us again if neither of these options resolve the matter. 

What more could you want, it's a green light from Citizens Advice. 

I remember there was a poster here who said we should not mother them, but that is why they are to stop company's from doing this and to assist the people in this situation. Section 75 looks the way because they would not advise on that route if they were not confident you had a case. That would be useful to forward to your retailers, because that is the kind of push they cannot ignore

Brilliant

Paul

barrybrown
Explorer
Options

i have looked into richersounds and there was no offer of a smarthings dongle so i cant claim for that and its in all the ads that they can withdraw support at anytime ,there is nothing other than the missing uhd blue rays that i have been waiting for for a year which came free with blue ray.Samsung have prommised repetedly they would come but they never have i have written to them we will see

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options
even if we suggest something like this as a bypass - samung or the retailers will certainly accept this as "full and final settlement"
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

Appreciation    what your saying about face book and co, but I think it's good evidence that you have tried all avenues. Also probably the  more people who see this issue the more who may also take action. 

Some should get a full refund, but I think everyone just wants what Samsung promised, that's all. For such a large company to renege like they have done is very odd. That's why even if they brought out the best TV ever I would think twice (if at all). What I have learnt is the difference between these expensive premium TV's and cheaper one's is not a lot for normal day to day viewing. You may see the difference when watching UHD bluray disks on a 65 inch tele when the sets are next to each other. I saw a 55 LG SUHD LCD at Curry's last week with all versions HDR, picture looked  good, perfect for Netflix and the price,  £895.00. So I am asking why a was deceived into paying over £2990, for a TV that will not be updated. I will not do it again.

Paul.

People can make thier own decisions, but ,my impression is as follows

1. Samsung cut corners and thier quality control is very poor

2. Samsung support team are like insurance agents who always try to deny the fault

3. Samsung use decietful practices to sell thier subpar and  not fit for purpose goods, promise features they never plan on delivering

Conclusion: Never buy any Samsung products and never let anyone make this mistake!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@barrybrown wrote:

hi guys

i bought a roku 4k stick and it plays the bbc uhd in stunning quality and netflix better than the apps for the ks8000 iam going to press oku was BBC Ilprichersounds and samsung for the cost of this roku as it seems like its probably the only concession we will get if we are lucku as its in the small print about what they have done

Don't forget if you push for that and they accept you can no longer go down the route of mis-selling as you have already accepted their offer, assuming you're happy with that.

That's strange as I did not think the Ruku was BBC Iplayer HLG updated. Also the Citizens Advice reply shows they think we have a good case. I find it very hard to think the retailers would ever got to court knowing that the Citizens Advice are supporting you. They may have legal departments but that does not mean they can make up the law! 

Also a ruku costs penny's compared to a full refund. 

Paul

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@barrybrown wrote:

hi guys

i bought a roku 4k stick and it plays the bbc uhd in stunning quality and netflix better than the apps for the ks8000 iam going to press richersounds and samsung for the cost of this roku as it seems like its probably the only concession we will get if we are lucku as its in the small print about what they have done

Does this work with Samsung KS series? as some people on forums saying Samsung sets do not accept HLG via HDMI? OR is it just 4K like Sky Q

barrybrown
Explorer
Options

absolutly i will never buy a samsung product again i only mentioned the roku stick because it allowers you to get the latest 4k streaming apps which the samsung tvs are not doing and the blue planet does look stunning shame samsung has dumped us like a fresh nappy from a moving car

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@barrybrown wrote:

hi guys

i bought a roku 4k stick and it plays the bbc uhd in stunning quality and netflix better than the apps for the ks8000 iam going to press richersounds and samsung for the cost of this roku as it seems like its probably the only concession we will get if we are lucku as its in the small print about what they have done

Does this work with Samsung KS series? as some people on forums saying Samsung sets do not accept HLG via HDMI? OR is it just 4K like Sky Q

I think it's 4k iplayer with no HLG but hey it's an improvement on 1080p iplayer which we have!

barrybrown
Explorer
Options

the only info i could get was uhd 60p no mention of HLG

barrybrown
Explorer
Options

But the roku is on the bbc list of devises that will work with the 4k uhd hlg streams