Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 15-01-2018 01:04 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

Sets do get sent back by big retailers to the manufacturers, not sure if smaller ones do the same or sets are sold as refurbished

Biggest takeaway piece of speculation is that Samsung has EOLed (end of the line) 2016 software line!

Fixed for you.

not an speculation when Samsung is declining to comment on update! it is the implied message

We have no plans sounds a bit like no to me, or am a bit thick?

No plans to me = EOL software updates for KS

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@AntS wrote:

Morning all. Apologies for my absence. Got struck down last week by that terrible flu that's doing the rounds currently.

No further update as of yet on the HLG issue, I'm afraid. I've had to edit a few of your posts earlier to take out full names of third-party retailer service agents you guys spoke to or email addresses, but otherwise I've left your posts as they were. Thanks for the continued contribution!

Noticed a post about capcha info being required before signing in. I had that too just before I was off sick, but not this morning. This still happening for you guys?

Thanks for the update on HLG. Do you have an update on HDR10+ for 2016 models?  Number of people who contacted Samsung support had a standard response " no plan for this upgrade " even though it was widely published that 2016 model would get an upgrade in summer 2017.  My decision to buy the KS9500 was based on this information. Now Samsung are saying there is no plan. 

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

Sets do get sent back by big retailers to the manufacturers, not sure if smaller ones do the same or sets are sold as refurbished

Biggest takeaway piece of speculation is that Samsung has EOLed (end of the line) 2016 software line!

Fixed for you.

not an speculation when Samsung is declining to comment on update! it is the implied message

We have no plans sounds a bit like no to me, or am a bit thick?

it is an implicit "No further upgrade"! unless tated otherwise

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

Trial ends tomorrow. Im officially done with you samsung. I will never buy another of your products and i will actively discourage anyone that asks me about tech that you are involved in. Given that im an infrastructure engineer thats a considerable amount of people. Thanks for nothing!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

It might be that Samsung just do not have any plans, but that begs the question when they promised all the updates who were making those plans? Where are those people now, because is Samsung now calling them liar's??? If Samsung has changed it's mind about giving us the updates they must have had a reason, and why will they not share that with us. Not the best for customer satisfaction.

Paul

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@amokuk wrote:

Trial ends tomorrow. Im officially done with you samsung. I will never buy another of your products and i will actively discourage anyone that asks me about tech that you are involved in. Given that im an infrastructure engineer thats a considerable amount of people. Thanks for nothing!

A lot of us will be doing exactly the same and I do not think we will get any kind of meaningful response from Samsung at all.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

It might be that Samsung just do not have any plans, but that begs the question when they promised all the updates who were making those plans? Where are those people now, because is Samsung now calling them liar's??? If Samsung has changed it's mind about giving us the updates they must have had a reason, and why will they not share that with us. Not the best for customer satisfaction.

Paul

I think it's getting to the point now where even if Samsung pull out a magic update which adds 4k iplayer, HDR10+ or god forbin HLG streaming support the damage is already done.

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

got a call from JL again and they assured me that "they are looking the matter" - lets be hopeful (not overly) but still hopeful

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

got a call from JL again and they assured me that "they are looking the matter" - lets be hopeful (not overly) but still hopeful

Last week I told JL that they had misrepresented the KS due to the Smart connect on their web page. They replied saying they had never advertised a smart connect. I sent them the link, 10 mins later they got back and said thanks and we are looking into it, so they may be still looking into it. I think there emails wizzing to Samsung and we all know how long it takes for them to reply. I suggest we give them a bit of time so they can sort themselves out and decide hopefully on the right course of action.

Paul

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS wrote:

Morning all. Apologies for my absence. Got struck down last week by that terrible flu that's doing the rounds currently.

No further update as of yet on the HLG issue, I'm afraid. I've had to edit a few of your posts earlier to take out full names of third-party retailer service agents you guys spoke to or email addresses, but otherwise I've left your posts as they were. Thanks for the continued contribution!

Noticed a post about capcha info being required before signing in. I had that too just before I was off sick, but not this morning. This still happening for you guys?

Afternoon Ant, pity you were hit by the flu bug but hopefully firing on all cylinders now! Know folk have other concerns but just to say I was having to input the dreaded captcha (which obviously some sites require) last week but also got straight in today.

As has been mentioned there may be valid reasons why Samsung has not yet enabled Iplayer HLG for 2016 sets even if wouldn't be the best PR, understandable customers seeking redress though and now will inevitably be too late for the current content.  Know lack of communication frustrating and will be negativity about,however hopefully something official in due course.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.