Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 14-01-2018 05:47 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@BAMozzy wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

You have come up with possible viable reasons but would it not be nice if Samsung actually gave us all a reasonable answer?

Of course - hence my final paragraph about the lack of communucation from Samsung BUT the point I was making is that there could be viable reasons as to why other manufacturers can do something that Samsung may not be able to do. Its not as straight forward as if 'X' can do it then so can'Y'  but whatever the reason, its no excuse for Samsung not communicating honestly with its customers.

It would be far better if Samsung themselves came out with a legitimate and honest reason - even if that reason is not necessarily showing Samsung in the best light - like not prepared to spend the money, not compatible with that Tizen software and can't upgrade the OS like we can with 'windows' on PC or that they can't add it to specific, capable models - like the KS8000+ without messing up the 'weaker' models like the KS7000 down (target specific processors). Maybe even the fact that they cut corners to make the TV cheaper than its competitors and as a consequence, it isn't as upgradeable. It would be better if they were honest - even it shows up BBC or the DVB-Dash - being held to ransom. expected to pay a 'premium' to have the latest update on older TV's or even petty rrasons like had a falling out with BBC over it.

Whatever the reason, they owe it to their customers to be more honest and open rather than treat us like ***** and/or children that should only be seen to show off their sales figures but never heard or worse, fobbing us off with BS excuses or silence in the hope we go away completely. Its unacceptable that we are still waiting for Samsung to respond - that they feel its better to lose their customers completely.

I doubt the 'refunds' hit Samsung either but the Store who probably paid Samsung for the stock and its them that are affected most - although they probably repackage it and sell it as a 'refurbished' model to recoup some of the loss and in helping you, will get you to return when you next need a TV (or other product in their range). To Samsung, that TV was bought by the store essentially when they bought the stock.

Sets do get sent back by big retailers to the manufacturers, not sure if smaller ones do the same or sets are sold as refurbished

Biggest takeaway is that Samsung has EOLed (end of the line) 2016 software line!

Jay108
Voyager
Options

Another response from Samsung yesterday reference to HDR10+ support for 2016 model. 

Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is ******.

The website you have provided, does not confirm a date when the update will be available. As stated in the last email by my colleague, there are no plans for an update.

At this time we will not be offering a full refund.

If you require additional support, please contact us on 0330 726 7864 (UK) or 0818 717 100 (EIRE), or respond to this email and I will be more than happy to help.

Alternatively, you can visit our Support website where you will find FAQs, How-To-Videos and other useful information for Samsung products.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

It does say late 2017, and now it's 2018. It would be nice if they could just give a reasonable answer!!!!!!!!

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

“As stated in the last email by my colleague, there are no plans for an update.” - this is the exact response they gave me regarding HLG for BBCiplayer, I don’t think they will be providing any support whatsoever for 2016 TVs as far as newer tech firmware are concerned!

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

2016 KS is now more than likely EOL aside from urgent security fixes I would be amazed if we get any further updates from 1201/1208

0 Likes
Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

Samsung will never accept that the 2016 SUHD range is EOL...i.e only after 1 year of launch..unless they have realised that there was something inherently wrong with this range / motherboard or otherwise!

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@hdmi wrote:

Sets do get sent back by big retailers to the manufacturers, not sure if smaller ones do the same or sets are sold as refurbished

Biggest takeaway piece of speculation is that Samsung has EOLed (end of the line) 2016 software line!

Fixed for you.

AntS
Options

Morning all. Apologies for my absence. Got struck down last week by that terrible flu that's doing the rounds currently.

No further update as of yet on the HLG issue, I'm afraid. I've had to edit a few of your posts earlier to take out full names of third-party retailer service agents you guys spoke to or email addresses, but otherwise I've left your posts as they were. Thanks for the continued contribution!

Noticed a post about capcha info being required before signing in. I had that too just before I was off sick, but not this morning. This still happening for you guys?

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

Biggest takeaway piece of speculation is that Samsung has EOLed (end of the line) 2016 software line!

Fixed for you.

not an speculation when Samsung is declining to comment on update! it is the implied message

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

Fixed for you.

not an speculation when Samsung is declining to comment on update! it is the implied message

We have no plans sounds a bit like no to me, or am a bit thick?

0 Likes