Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 12-01-2018 10:10 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

So are you saying it is out of Samsung's control and they are not at fault?

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Not at all Samsung should be working with BBC to get it working in my opinion, just I think it’s not as clear cut as we may think.

If LG or Panasonic can do it there should be no reason why Samsung can’t 

@paul1277 wrote:

0 Likes
barrybrown
Explorer
Options

hi

i have tried looking for a link to a ue49ks8000 for richer sounds but cant find one any ideas

kind regards barry

0 Likes
barrybrown
Explorer
Options
hi
i cant find a link to richersounds for the 49KS8000 any help really appreciated
kind regards barry
0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Not at all Samsung should be working with BBC to get it working in my opinion, just I think it’s not as clear cut as we may think.

If LG or Panasonic can do it there should be no reason why Samsung can’t 

@paul1277 wrote:

There could be several reasons why LG and Panasonic can do it but Samsung can't (or won't)

According to sales figures, 50% of all TV's sold are Samsung and around 25% are LG. If, as it has been suggested, a cost is involved per TV, LG could upgrade 2yrs worth of TV's for the cost of 1 year to Samsung. adding in another year doubles that cost (the same cost that LG could update 4yrs worth of TV's - add in 2015 TV's too and that cost jumps up again to be equivalent to 6yrs worth for LG. Panasonic are not amongst the top 4 or 5 - don't sell to the US so their cost would be negligible compared to just 1yrs worth for Samsung and probably less than 1yrs worth for LG for the two years. Also TV's like the DX902 was not 'replaced' in 2017 but carried forward so becomes part of their 2017 range. It also may not be a 'small' figure to update or Samsung may feel they are being held to ransom (so to speak) for a 'small' user base compared to the 'global' KS sales - this is after all just a 'UK' issue and App and may feel the cost is too much for that.

Anther issue could be compatibility with the 'older' Tizen OS. LG uses Web OS and Panasonics is built on the open-source code of Mozilla Firefox - both 'different' to Tizen. If they were all 'Android' based, then you couldn't argue that compatibility was an issue - especially if they were all n the same version but as they all have different OS's, that could be a reason why and possibly a reason why the 2017 TV's are.

It could also come down to the Processor. We see that Sony can't bring DV to its X1 processor but can to its X1 Xtreme processor based TV's. It maybe that the KS7000 Processor makes it more difficult and they can't differentiate between the KS Range - it seems they all share the same update so would depend on its 'weakest' TV in the range - unlike Sony for example with the XE90 and below not getting DV but XE93 and above getting the DV update. I say the KS7000 may have a different/weaker processor as it doesn't have the 'Supreme' motion and 'Supreme' dimming that the KS8000 and better has. 

There is 3 perfectly reasonable reasons why other manufacturers may be able to update their older TV's whilst Samsung can't or won't. I don't know if ANY are accurate or Samsung have a completely different reason - it doesn't help that they will not communicate with us. We never get any details on what the updates contain let alone any response that isn't vague, smell of BS/spin etc and certainly never treat us like adults or even better, like customers! Its like 'we got your money now [insert your own expletive so I don't need to be censored] Off until we bring out some new product we want to take your money with....

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

You have come up with possible viable reasons but would it not be nice if Samsung actually gave us all a reasonable answer?

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

You have come up with possible viable reasons but would it not be nice if Samsung actually gave us all a reasonable answer?

Of course - hence my final paragraph about the lack of communucation from Samsung BUT the point I was making is that there could be viable reasons as to why other manufacturers can do something that Samsung may not be able to do. Its not as straight forward as if 'X' can do it then so can'Y'  but whatever the reason, its no excuse for Samsung not communicating honestly with its customers.

It would be far better if Samsung themselves came out with a legitimate and honest reason - even if that reason is not necessarily showing Samsung in the best light - like not prepared to spend the money, not compatible with that Tizen software and can't upgrade the OS like we can with 'windows' on PC or that they can't add it to specific, capable models - like the KS8000+ without messing up the 'weaker' models like the KS7000 down (target specific processors). Maybe even the fact that they cut corners to make the TV cheaper than its competitors and as a consequence, it isn't as upgradeable. It would be better if they were honest - even it shows up BBC or the DVB-Dash - being held to ransom. expected to pay a 'premium' to have the latest update on older TV's or even petty rrasons like had a falling out with BBC over it.

Whatever the reason, they owe it to their customers to be more honest and open rather than treat us like ***** and/or children that should only be seen to show off their sales figures but never heard or worse, fobbing us off with BS excuses or silence in the hope we go away completely. Its unacceptable that we are still waiting for Samsung to respond - that they feel its better to lose their customers completely.

I doubt the 'refunds' hit Samsung either but the Store who probably paid Samsung for the stock and its them that are affected most - although they probably repackage it and sell it as a 'refurbished' model to recoup some of the loss and in helping you, will get you to return when you next need a TV (or other product in their range). To Samsung, that TV was bought by the store essentially when they bought the stock.

JTE
Navigator
Options

Sky Q users may be able to watch Blue Planet II through their Sky Q box. Alas, Apple TV does not appear to support it.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options
Ah, the situation is a little complex with Sky Q: Only the 2tb box is UHD capable (the 1tb and mini-boxes are not), and THEN the UHD option is only enabled on the top-tier subscription packages.
0 Likes
Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

1) you have to get a sky-Q 2 GB box, BTW this is still not HDR or HLG capable (yet), not sure if it will ever be....

2) you need to subscribe for “multi room” package, even if you are not using any other TV in other rooms - it’s basically a new fancy name for “UHD subscription”

3) Also you will need £65 for installation 

4) Top end subscription if you really want to see the UHD content (movies, box sets etc)

so so it’s a lot of expense per calendar month!

0 Likes