Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 10-01-2018 12:34 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options
You've not heard of Forbes, paul? I would take them as a reliable source, the author of the article is at CES now, and has apparently spoken to contacts within Samsung about the HDR10+ issue...
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

we should start thinking of rolling out the message to the masses somehow - bbc watchdog / radio / change.org petition ?

In regards to the above would it be a good idea to get our heads together and let BBC Watchdog know not only the problem with Samsung and the retailers but to also let them know what all of us have done to get where we are at the moment, the more evidence we can supply to BBC Watchdog the better I reckon.

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

I got in touch with Watchdog before Christmas and have not heard anything back as of yet. I've contacted them before regarding something else and they never got back to me then either so wouldn't hold my breath!

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

I got in touch with Watchdog before Christmas and have not heard anything back as of yet. I've contacted them before regarding something else and they never got back to me then either so wouldn't hold my breath!

I wonder how many cases or reports on this which it would take for WatchDog to sit up and take notice or action.

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

we can start a "petition" campaign for BBC watch to take notice and heavily sign it to make it to the top!

we have to open the flood gates to make this happen...indiviual complaints to watchdog wont be noticed (i think)

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

Just had another response from Currys - totally unrelated to my case and ignored my issue - 

"Dear Mr Atterbury, 

Thanks for your email dated 5th January 2018.  Sorry it's taken us a while to get back to you.  I would've liked to discuss this further over the phone however, it was not possible to locate a contact number for you. 

Some items do develop a fault after their guarantee has ended, and I’d like to help you work out what’s gone wrong with your television.  To do this, we’ll need to collect and your television and take it to our repair centre. 

You’ll need you to pay £95.00 to cover the cost of this, but if we find there’s been a manufacturing fault, we’ll refund you this money and repair the television at no cost.  If you’d like us to take the television to our repair centre, please call us on 0344 800 9090. 

When you call, please have the following things to hand: 

a) The Reference Number (above) 
b) The Television Serial Number 

Our lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm on Saturday and 9am to 6pm on Sunday. 

Thanks for contacting Team knowhow. 

Kind regards, 

Aisha *****
Team knowhow "

They are going back to the faulty product excuse! Reply and remind them it's not faulty but misrepresentation under the Oct 2015 Consumer Regs. I also think that this £95 charge is very wrong (outrageous) and I think goes against the regs, and a very good reason not to buy anything from Curry's. The regs say the repair should be free, and it is up to the retailer in the first 6 months to repair without cost. With misrepresentation there is no time limit (apart from the 6 years max) so they do not need to examine the TV, so no cost. It's good because they are doing their best to discourage you but I think it's more evidence of their attempts to miss lead you. Again they are staying well away from mentioning misrepresentation!

Paul

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

we can start a "petition" campaign for BBC watch to take notice and heavily sign it to make it to the top!

we have to open the flood gates to make this happen...indiviual complaints to watchdog wont be noticed (i think)

At the moment I don't think there are nearly enough people voicing their opinion on this, i'd guess 90% of KS owners are oblivious to whats going on aside from us select few.

Anyone got any good suggestions for geting the message out there to the widest audience possible?

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

As this was different to any of your replies daleski75, I couldn't copy and of your responses to had to make something up :smileylol:

This was my response - definitely not as 'professional' or worded very well compared to yours but I was angry - don't know if this is reflected in my response - and I might have blown my chances haha.

"

Dear Customer Service Team,

Thank you for your reply.

Firstly, my original reason for correspondence to yourselves was due to mis-selling, not because of a fault. Please read my emails again and you will see this. I only mentioned the other issues as they are other factors as to why I am unhappy with this £1300 purchase.

Again, my main concern is the mis-selling of the TV because Curry's advertised the 'Samsung Smart Things Extender' as being a free addition to the TV once released in 2017. It is now 2018 and still no 'Smart Things Extender' - something which Samsung have said they are not going to continue developing. Despite this, Currys are STILL advertising this on their website!

Secondly, even if I did have a fault with the TV, I would NOT pay your fee as the TV is under a 5 year warranty with Currys - something which should be on my records from when I purchased the TV. I just wanted to make that clear. I wrote to Currys a few months ago (within my 12 month warranty period) to make certain that I DID have 5 year warranty on the TV and I was assured that I DID!

I am beginning to feel as though my correspondence is not being taken seriously and my main concern being ignored.

Should I not get a satisfactory response within 14 days, I shall proceed in pursuing my case to the small claims court and seek Section 75 with my Credit Card company.

Regards,

You definitely got your response across and it's good to know that so far curry's have not once denied miss-selling for any of us and also I am no legal expert whatsoever but could we all group together and take curry's to the small claims court as a whole or is it only on an individiual basis.

I agree and thing we should fund a small claims case. I again do not think they will not go to court but let's still fund one case if need be. I think the best way is for a case can be funded for only a few pounds each and be done by bank transfer or paypal I think no more that £10 each and when won could be refunded. Before that though lets still explore Section 75 and FSA which is free.

Paul

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

As this was different to any of your replies daleski75, I couldn't copy and of your responses to had to make something up :smileylol:

This was my response - definitely not as 'professional' or worded very well compared to yours but I was angry - don't know if this is reflected in my response - and I might have blown my chances haha.

"

Dear Customer Service Team,

Thank you for your reply.

Firstly, my original reason for correspondence to yourselves was due to mis-selling, not because of a fault. Please read my emails again and you will see this. I only mentioned the other issues as they are other factors as to why I am unhappy with this £1300 purchase.

Regards,

Very good - and just a reminder to everyone else, do not ever speak to them on the telephone. Reject and any all attempts by them to get you on the phone. If, somehow (never ever give them your number) they call you, politely but firmly remind them you want everthing in writing and hang up immediately.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

To be honest I don't care too much for HLG or HDR10+. I just want my js8000 to support the BBC iplayer in UHD.

However, now is a very good time to get the message across of how Samsung are so quick to drop their support of 3, 2 and 1 year old sets. CES 2018 is on NOW, Samsung's presentations are being reported NOW, under every tech website's report of a Samsung product there will be a comment section. That is where we can inform the wider world of how Samsung will treat it's customers of today, tomorrow. Below are a few suggested sites, I'm sure others are worth finding too.

http://www.avsforum.com/samsung-qled-tvs-ces-2018/

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/09/ces-2018-samsung-unveils-giant-tv-called-wall-12-foot-wide-7215606/

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-microled-makes-massive-modular-tv-a-reality/

http://bgr.com/2018/01/08/samsungs-ces-2018-live-stream-video-press-conference/

http://bgr.com/2018/01/09/best-of-ces-2018-top-10-day-2/

0 Likes