Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 10-01-2018 12:19 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

that is something all of us would ideally want - but Samsung is avoiding this completely -

unofficially full range of SUHD TVs are obsolete! 

Samsung are treating their tv's now like their phones, supported up until the newer model then it's dropped completely.

Like others (I assume) I have done a LOT of research before buying the KS series, price, features, future proofing, picture quality and this was in light of keeping the tv for a minimum of 5 years and for it to be supported for the duration of that if the tv meets the techinical requirements to be updated.

It's a shame we cannot get our message to a much wider audience so others looking at purchasing a tv from Samsung will know what risks they are taking.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Hopefully slowly but surely we are all getting our cases heard by Samsung in this forum and retailers by email and in writing.

@Anonymous User an idea @paul1111 if anyone is successful and can prove they have got a full refund/replacement is it worth creating a new thread with this in it?

Because of the speed that this thread moves at any success stories could be lost very easily.

I totally agree, and not just here but everywhere we all can think of. 

Also everyone be aware that not only Samsung read these posts but also the retailers, so I find it hard to believe them with some of their answers. The best so far is Curry's store's saying it is not their responsibility even though the regs clearly say it is. That tell's me they are worried and when it's pointed out they can not absolve responsibility I wonder what the next excuse will be. 

Paul

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

Just had another response from Currys - totally unrelated to my case and ignored my issue - 

"Dear Mr Atterbury, 

Thanks for your email dated 5th January 2018.  Sorry it's taken us a while to get back to you.  I would've liked to discuss this further over the phone however, it was not possible to locate a contact number for you. 

Some items do develop a fault after their guarantee has ended, and I’d like to help you work out what’s gone wrong with your television.  To do this, we’ll need to collect and your television and take it to our repair centre. 

You’ll need you to pay £95.00 to cover the cost of this, but if we find there’s been a manufacturing fault, we’ll refund you this money and repair the television at no cost.  If you’d like us to take the television to our repair centre, please call us on 0344 800 9090. 

When you call, please have the following things to hand: 

a) The Reference Number (above) 
b) The Television Serial Number 

Our lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm on Saturday and 9am to 6pm on Sunday. 

Thanks for contacting Team knowhow. 

Kind regards, 

Aisha *****
Team knowhow "

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

As this was different to any of your replies daleski75, I couldn't copy and of your responses to had to make something up :smileylol:

This was my response - definitely not as 'professional' or worded very well compared to yours but I was angry - don't know if this is reflected in my response - and I might have blown my chances haha.

"

Dear Customer Service Team,

Thank you for your reply.

Firstly, my original reason for correspondence to yourselves was due to mis-selling, not because of a fault. Please read my emails again and you will see this. I only mentioned the other issues as they are other factors as to why I am unhappy with this £1300 purchase.

Again, my main concern is the mis-selling of the TV because Curry's advertised the 'Samsung Smart Things Extender' as being a free addition to the TV once released in 2017. It is now 2018 and still no 'Smart Things Extender' - something which Samsung have said they are not going to continue developing. Despite this, Currys are STILL advertising this on their website!

Secondly, even if I did have a fault with the TV, I would NOT pay your fee as the TV is under a 5 year warranty with Currys - something which should be on my records from when I purchased the TV. I just wanted to make that clear. I wrote to Currys a few months ago (within my 12 month warranty period) to make certain that I DID have 5 year warranty on the TV and I was assured that I DID!

I am beginning to feel as though my correspondence is not being taken seriously and my main concern being ignored.

Should I not get a satisfactory response within 14 days, I shall proceed in pursuing my case to the small claims court and seek Section 75 with my Credit Card company.

Regards,

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Hopefully slowly but surely we are all getting our cases heard by Samsung in this forum and retailers by email and in writing.

@Anonymous User an idea @paul1111 if anyone is successful and can prove they have got a full refund/replacement is it worth creating a new thread with this in it?

Because of the speed that this thread moves at any success stories could be lost very easily.

I totally agree, and not just here but everywhere we all can think of. 

Also everyone be aware that not only Samsung read these posts but also the retailers, so I find it hard to believe them with some of their answers. The best so far is Curry's store's saying it is not their responsibility even though the regs clearly say it is. That tell's me they are worried and when it's pointed out they can not absolve responsibility I wonder what the next excuse will be. 

Paul

Yup I am very interested to see what citizens advice come back with on that as my issue is with the store, so far no response from team knowhow but going to give them a few more days to respond.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:
Did we miss this tidbit from December?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/12/13/amazon-video-just-boosted-the-picture-quality-of-...

Looks like that is a US publication. Samsung has already told me that HDR10+ is only for the US, even though there is a global Samsung news release saying all 2016 TV's will get the update. The link is on this forum. This is one of the reasons I think Samsung are misrepresenting their products.

Paul

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@Sam-Knp wrote:

that is something all of us would ideally want - but Samsung is avoiding this completely -

unofficially full range of SUHD TVs are obsolete! 

Samsung are treating their tv's now like their phones, supported up until the newer model then it's dropped completely.

Like others (I assume) I have done a LOT of research before buying the KS series, price, features, future proofing, picture quality and this was in light of keeping the tv for a minimum of 5 years and for it to be supported for the duration of that if the tv meets the techinical requirements to be updated.

It's a shame we cannot get our message to a much wider audience so others looking at purchasing a tv from Samsung will know what risks they are taking.

I agree but we can get the message out by using social media. Use your Facebook, Twitter, and let anyone and everyone you can. Post on the retailers face book pages, use complaints forums (resolver is good), the more it is posted the more pressure comes on Samsung. 

@I was pleased with @AntS response as well.

Also remember we could also get misinformation here from the powers that monitor these forums so question posts that seem to go against the thread.

Paul

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

Currys are seriously mocking me. I thought it was coincidence last time where after I'd sent a reply through Resolver, not more than 5 minutes later I had an email directly from Currys regarding their latest offers.

No more than 5 minutes after my response today, I again receive an email from Currys regarding their latest offers - cheeky *****!!! 

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

As this was different to any of your replies daleski75, I couldn't copy and of your responses to had to make something up :smileylol:

This was my response - definitely not as 'professional' or worded very well compared to yours but I was angry - don't know if this is reflected in my response - and I might have blown my chances haha.

"

Dear Customer Service Team,

Thank you for your reply.

Firstly, my original reason for correspondence to yourselves was due to mis-selling, not because of a fault. Please read my emails again and you will see this. I only mentioned the other issues as they are other factors as to why I am unhappy with this £1300 purchase.

Again, my main concern is the mis-selling of the TV because Curry's advertised the 'Samsung Smart Things Extender' as being a free addition to the TV once released in 2017. It is now 2018 and still no 'Smart Things Extender' - something which Samsung have said they are not going to continue developing. Despite this, Currys are STILL advertising this on their website!

Secondly, even if I did have a fault with the TV, I would NOT pay your fee as the TV is under a 5 year warranty with Currys - something which should be on my records from when I purchased the TV. I just wanted to make that clear. I wrote to Currys a few months ago (within my 12 month warranty period) to make certain that I DID have 5 year warranty on the TV and I was assured that I DID!

I am beginning to feel as though my correspondence is not being taken seriously and my main concern being ignored.

Should I not get a satisfactory response within 14 days, I shall proceed in pursuing my case to the small claims court and seek Section 75 with my Credit Card company.

Regards,

You definitely got your response across and it's good to know that so far curry's have not once denied miss-selling for any of us and also I am no legal expert whatsoever but could we all group together and take curry's to the small claims court as a whole or is it only on an individiual basis.

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

we should start thinking of rolling out the message to the masses somehow - bbc watchdog / radio / change.org petition ?