Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 08-01-2018 09:39 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Yup I made sure that in my letter of intent I get over the message that this is about mis-selling of goods only.

Never used my credit card so cannot use section 75.

0 Likes
Sixedup
Journeyman
Options

I suspect Samsung have discovered that most people don't buy very expensive TV's particularly often, which is presumably hitting their profitability. The addition of the advertising into the smart hub taskbar to try to create a new revenue stream is another clue to that.

Their hope is presumably that in exchange for a 30% discount, you'll keep buying Samsung every two years, funded by a credit agreement with them. Apple are doing the same thing with iPhones, as do most car manufacturers. They may make less outright profit on each device, but it keeps you (locked) within their brand and keeps their revenues flowing, which helps to keep them in the game.

I'm not a fan of the approach, as I suspect it drives unecessary consumption that results in yet more environmental impact.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Gone through the entire case history and put it into a word document (also printed) so Curry's can see the entire conversation and that not once did they deny mis-selling of the goods.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

Dear Samsung.

[...]the time sold as the very high speck, all bells and whistles, nano-crystal, SUHD, brighter whites, darker blacks and a colour gamut that would leave Joseph and his technicolour dream-coat smarting with envy. When released it cost £2350.00, yes, really THAT MUCH!

For a TV costing THAT MUCH, I was led to believe that it was future proof and that whatever improvements to it's operation 'could' be made, 'would' be made (via updates).  Therefor I am sickened by your obvious lack of efforts to support your products once sold. Whilst technically you may be within your rights to state:-

"We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players.”  

morally, that attitude stinks.

Personally I cannot believe any company would be so remiss to willfully allow such ill-feeling from its customers. Should your stance not change regarding the UHD BBC i-player, well that's your choice. Me never buying any other Samsung products, will be MY choice.

Very well put, sir.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Letter of intent sent 1st class signed for to Currys, Northampton.

stevej190
Pioneer
Options

My first post here.

I've been following this thread since the beginning with much interest, I own a 60KS7000 that was purchased from Currys in late December 2016. I did alot of research and was very much aware of various trade reports that said HLG would be added, so like all of you - I'm seething about this.

The thing is though, IF Currys or whoever, eventually are forced into giving us all a refund - what TV is currently the one to go for? My purchase price was only £1200 so a fair bir less than some. The LG B7/C7 OLED is close at £1500 - but is smaller at 55inches and there are quite a few reports about screen burn - and a very unhelpful response from LG about owners mis-using their sets by watching too much rolling news channels, or anything else with constant captions on screen.

I'm generally very happy about my TV, I have had no problems and it's been calibrated and looks stunning. I'm not at all bothered about the smarthings extend as I didn't know about ( I understand its a stick to beat them with though).

I have started the mis-selling procedure with the which tool and have contacted Currys and will wait and see how that pans out - but I'm honestly thinking that if they just gave me a roku 4k stick I could then watch UHD iplayer through that. In the near future there is likely to be a few things in HLG on iplayer so I do want that sorted, but do I really want to change the TV, thats my dilemma. 

Jay108
Voyager
Options

I bought 78" KS9500 Curved SUHD Quantum Dot Ultra HD Premium HDR 1000 TV  from John Lewis just over 6 months ago.  I payed over 4000 pounds for it.    It seems that ULTRA HD PREMIUM HDR Badge does not mean anything.  Do I have a case for a refund from John Lewis? 

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@stevej190 wrote:

My first post here.

I've been following this thread since the beginning with much interest, I own a 60KS7000 that was purchased from Currys in late December 2016. I did alot of research and was very much aware of various trade reports that said HLG would be added, so like all of you - I'm seething about this.

The thing is though, IF Currys or whoever, eventually are forced into giving us all a refund - what TV is currently the one to go for? My purchase price was only £1200 so a fair bir less than some. The LG B7/C7 OLED is close at £1500 - but is smaller at 55inches and there are quite a few reports about screen burn - and a very unhelpful response from LG about owners mis-using their sets by watching too much rolling news channels, or anything else with constant captions on screen.

I'm generally very happy about my TV, I have had no problems and it's been calibrated and looks stunning. I'm not at all bothered about the smarthings extend as I didn't know about ( I understand its a stick to beat them with though).

I have started the mis-selling procedure with the which tool and have contacted Currys and will wait and see how that pans out - but I'm honestly thinking that if they just gave me a roku 4k stick I could then watch UHD iplayer through that. In the near future there is likely to be a few things in HLG on iplayer so I do want that sorted, but do I really want to change the TV, thats my dilemma. 

Personally speaking see how you get on with Currys it's worth a shot anyway and it's totally up to you in regards to how long you persue it for.

Regarding the tv thats a difficult choice to make as Samsugn have a very poor track record for updating firmware and/or adding new features on older hardware so your televsion may well never get HLG, 4k iPlayer support etc.

You could mention to curry's that you would be happy to accept a Roku 4k if there are no other tv's you want and they would be much happier to lose £100 or whatever a roku 4k costs than £1200 on a television.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

I bought 78" KS9500 Curved SUHD Quantum Dot Ultra HD Premium HDR 1000 TV  from John Lewis just over 6 months ago.  I payed over 4000 pounds for it.    It seems that ULTRA HD PREMIUM HDR Badge does not mean anything.  Do I have a case for a refund from John Lewis? 

If you go down the road of the dongle then yes you have a case for a refund due to mis-selling, you could also argue about HLG, 4k iplayer support to add more weight to your case.

It's worth a go anyway you have nothing to lose apart from a bit of time writing emails, letters.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options
If I connect Roku 4K to my KS9500 TV.. Will i be able to watch UHD iplayer Blue Planet (HLG) even though my KS9500 model is not supported?
0 Likes